Legend

valedhelgwath

Legend

Post#1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:37 am

Since a lot of 80's mfantasy movies are being mentioned, does anyone remember Legend. It had a youngish Tom Cruise in the lead role of Jack, but the prize must go to Tim Curry's Lord of Darkness. At the time he was one of the best movie bad guys I had ever seen. They managed to give a 'fairy-like' quality to the lighting and sets too.

gandalf-olorin

Legend

Post#2 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:51 pm

Yes, I remember Tom Cruise in this. It seems like a long time ago! Who was it who played Gump? I didn't remember Tim Curry was the devil character. What a good makeup/effects that was! Did they get any awards for that? This movie seemed to capture the classic look of fairies, etc., but I'm not sure I liked the unicorns--which were central to the plot.What I always wondered is where this was taking place.

Loss

Legend

Post#3 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:07 pm

when i first saw it when i was little i was scared stiff when the devil guy came up very scary, good for itz time i think and tom cruise looked so YOUNG. pity what time can do to ya! great film though

Vee

Legend

Post#4 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:45 pm

I remember it. In fact I have it on DVD. Fun film. Tom Cruise... Mmmmmmm....

valedhelgwath

Legend

Post#5 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 pm

I didn't remember Tim Curry was the devil character. What a good makeup/effects that was! Did they get any awards for that?

They were nominated for an Oscar in Best Make-up catagory, but lost out to The Fly.

gandalf-olorin

Legend

Post#6 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks, I thought it might have been a contender. So does anyone know if the plot was based on an old story? Or was it just made up for the movie?

grondmaster

Legend

Post#7 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:29 pm

I think it is an original, written by William Hjortsberg as a screenplay. Of course I have no expertise on this subject and I didn't google it very far, other than to find that its original title is Legend of Darkness.
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Legend

Post#8 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:54 am

There's one memorable line in this film: "The dreams of youth are the regrets of maturity".
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Eowyn

Legend

Post#9 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Yes! I have this DVD collection. When I was younger I only remember ever seeing the U.S. Theatrical version but with the collection came the additional Director's cut with the score from Jerry Goldsmith rather than Tangerine Dream.

rho

Legend

Post#10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Yes we have this on DVD, I must say I much prefer Richard Donner's other movie 'Lady Hawke'

Return to “Older Movies”