Who are your favorite American authors?

miruvor

Favorite American Author

Post#2 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:21 am

Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe.

rue auburn

Favorite American Author

Post#3 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:07 pm

Jennifer Roberson, Terry Brooks, & James Patterson (Is he American? I didn't really check...)

eruwen

Favorite American Author

Post#4 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:47 pm

Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain and Edgar Allan Poe; Charles W. Chestnutt is pretty amazing too.

Morambar

Favorite American Author

Post#5 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:31 pm

Toss up between Thoreau and Twain, who will always have a special place in my heart because Tom/Huck were the first novels I read, about the time I started school, beginning an annual tradition of TomX2, HuckX1 every summer. The only thing sadder than Tom trying to turn his friends into Robin Hoods Merry Men is me trying to turn my friends in into Tom and his friends. Thoureau's just so darn deep though, and a personal hero; much more honorable than Emerson: "This is what I believe more than anything else, but I'm not going to do it, and will try to stop David from doing so either." Jerk. Thoreau may have spent a night in jail, but Emerson was in there his whole life, refusing to come out of it.

Jordan's in there somewhere, and of course Kerouac, another personal hero. We could all do worse than to fall in Love with God (hey, it's on topic, and it's the end of the Dharma Bums; what can I do?)

Hawthorne, he makes Emerson look liberated; bleah, I'd rather discuss Blake. Each to his own, but that's not American either.

swizec

Favorite American Author

Post#6 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:20 am

Edgar Allan Poe

don't really know any other though...

eva lilith

Favorite American Author

Post#7 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:11 am

Mark Twain, Lloyd Alexander, and Christopher Stasheff. I personally tend to prefer European authors (Why, I do not know, since I am American), but I do really like these three authors. Asimov is good, too.

ulmo lord of waters

Favorite American Author

Post#8 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:03 pm

Elizabeth Haydon (I'm pretty sure she's American), Scott Lobdell (hehe), and Emily Dickinson (I like sad songs and writing)

rue auburn

Favorite American Author

Post#9 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:05 pm

Symphony of Ages, right?

eruwen

Favorite American Author

Post#10 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Morambar said:
Thoreau may have spent a night in jail, but Emerson was in there his whole life, refusing to come out of it.

Sounds like a Blakean comment to me. ;)

Oh, and regarding your comment about Hawthorne not being liberated, that may be true in some ways, but his thinking and writing goes much deeper than this. I think you could find that he was liberated in many ways; in fact, there are some hidden gems of knowledge I found in The House of the Seven Gables. He is a very confused man actually -- trying to figure out how to reconcile the fact that fiction writing was against his religion, yet it was his main calling in life.

Return to “Books”