Cronicles of Thomas Covenant

Discussions about Non-Tolkien Books
rafael

Post#1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Having met Tolkiens world which I've been into and fro from 1974, I would like to introduce all of you to Stephen Donaldson. He has also made a world where as all often the fight goes between good and bad. And as in Tolkien's world it isn't the 12 feet high figure with enormous strength who always are the greatest hero. The greatest hero here is Thomas Covenant; the Unbeliever. the greatest and most struggles is inside his own mind. The looser becomes the winner. The failure becomes the hero. As I read these grat adventures, I see great battles going on in different levels I would like to discuss in this thread. I look forward to your opinions, you guys!

gandalf-olorin

Post#2 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:14 pm

Greetings, Rafael. If you look into the "I'm currently reading..." thread, you will find what some of us said about the Thomas Covenant series. (Maybe one of the mods would like to transfer some of those comments here?) So without repeating everything I said, there, I'll just say I did like many aspects of that tale. But other aspects I didn't care for--although in all honesty it has been many years since I read those books. What else about Covenant did you like, Rafael?

rafael

Post#3 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:24 pm

:elf: I do enjoy many aspects of the Unbeliever's world! It has been some years since I read the first and second Cronicles, so I have some rereading to do. What sparks me off in this direction this time is that I just have discovered a third Cronicle which is new to me. So here is conclusively also some new reading I have to endure! :elkgrin:

grondmaster

Post#4 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:58 pm

I think the only discussion about Thomas the Unbeliever can be found starting with Rafael's post of Tuesday 20th June 2006. No, there were a few earlier, but the best way to get to them would be to use our search function in the menu above and to the right.

I didn't realize there was a third series of those book; maybe I'll give them a try after I finish, or at least catch up with The Wheel of Time series.
'Share and enjoy'

rafael

Post#5 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:45 pm

:snowman: As I told earlier there is a third serie in the Cronicles of the Unbeliever:The Runes of the Earth (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant).

I haven't read it yet. Having just ordered it through Amazones, but I have started reading again the first six books.

These days we live in a sunny country so mostly I'm reading when I'm on my way into Morpheus arms. But it's so nice with a hot summer after a hard and snowy winter. :elf:

eva lilith

Post#6 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:20 am

I felt these books more than any I had read in a while. Of course, a lot of the emotions were sorrow and pain... but I loved the third book in the first series. And of course I love the Land. Covenant makes such a good hero/not hero, because even he cannot help loving the Land and wanting to help it, but he is most of all convinced that he is completely unable to do so. And of course I love Foamfollower!

virumor

Post#7 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:50 am

Covenant makes such a good hero/not hero

An anti-hero?
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

rafael

Post#8 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:19 pm

Oh yes! To me Thomas Covenant is a hero and an anti-hero. In the real world, being shunned from cpmmunity because of his lepra, he is a real looser. Being called to the Land, the inhabitants claim him a hero. In the struggle between evil and good, he is their last hope. :snowman:

virumor

Post#9 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 pm

In the real world, being shunned from cpmmunity because of his lepra, he is a real looser.

So then he's a pariah.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

rafael

Post#10 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Yes, he is really a pariah; but I reckon that in some ways it might be a worse position to be shunned alone in a modern society. We don't really know what it might be like. I do not defend a class system, for sure. But in my mind a pariah althought a being on the bottom, lives in a class system and shares the pariah class with others. In a modern American society one is incommunicado, alone, left by everyone. There ain't even someone to the share bad things in life. No one would care whatever happens to him. None!!!!.

Return to “Books”