Tolkien's Favorite Place?

ainulindhe

Post#1 » Sat May 29, 2004 10:29 pm

Which, of all Middle Earth places, do you think was closest to Tolkien's heart and why?

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Sun May 30, 2004 2:49 am

I think he may have had two.

The elven woods of Doriath may have been one, for it is there that Beren met Luthien. Tolkien had a great affinity with this couple, and many people have said the love between the two may have been a reflection of the love between JRR and Edith. If this is the case, I think the place of their meeting would have been something very special to him.

The second place is obviously the Shire. For all the travelling and wondrous places visited in Middle Earth, the Shire is that one focus which the hobbits think of returning to. It is quiet and peaceful... it is a representation of home. More than Rivendell, Lothlorien, Minas Tirith, etc, it is supposed to give the reader that feeling of their own home (maybe not in appearance, but in heart).

Samwisegamgee

Post#3 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:47 am

I think the Sea was closest to Tolkien's heart. Though he spent very little time near the Sea in his lifetime, you can see his great reverance for it in all his works. The Sea is the place all his characters seem to want to return to, they feel, as I think Tolkien felt, the longing for something so big and boundless it could be compared to eternity.

sevrinn

Post#4 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:05 pm

I think every place in Middle Earth held a place in Tolkien's heart, from Fangorn Forest where his love of trees and saving the planet's natural resources is plainly evident when the trees are given sentience and go forth to kick Orc butt in a comical sense of revenge to wide open plains of Rohan and the simple life enjoyed in the Shire by the Hobbits - all of them have a special meaning - thats what I think anyway

:)
"....the wolf that one hears is worse than the orc that one fears...."

drogo

Post#5 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:52 am

Tolkien had a great affinity with this couple, and many people have said the love between the two may have been a reflection of the love between JRR and Edith.

Doesn't JRR and Edith's tombstone refer to them as Beren and Luthien?

valedhelgwath

Post#6 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:37 am

Doesn't JRR and Edith's tombstone refer to them as Beren and Luthien?

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe it does.

JonnieA

Post#7 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:10 pm

I don't know how big an emotional attachment Tolkien felt for Tirion, but I know it was based on Warwick, and he does describe it as the fairest of all cities. I keep meaning to go to Warwick myself and have a look around....I understand it has a very well preserved city centre from the middle ages. Perhaps I will come home with shimmering dust on my shoes!

LadyFeawen

Post#8 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:13 pm

Welcome back, JonnieA, I haven't seen you for a while. Nice to have you back on board. :)

I believe it would've been Lothlorien or the Shire. :)
Lothlorien because Tolkien had a strong love for trees, like myself.
Then the Shire, for as Val said it's representation of home and a place of comfort that gave Sam, Frodo, Merry and Pippin a reason to keep on their journey; For the hope of returning home.
But I think, if Tolkien was alive today he would've said that each place in Middle-Earth (maybe even Mordor) had a place in his heart and came from some experience and feeling.
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

bugyfeanor

Post#9 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:19 pm

Tolkien may have considered Middle-earth his home; the special places in his heart surpass my present knowledge!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

laurelindhe ilmarin

Post#10 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:34 pm

Personally, I hold the belief that Rohan may have been closest to Tolkien's heart, or at least closest to his interests. He modeled Rohan partially after the Viking culture, which he was intrinsically drawn to. He also spent A LOT of time in LOTR on Rohan, which tells me that he really was attached to it. And of course, there is the Shire.:)

Return to “Places”