Gondolin

Allyssa

Gondolin

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Morgoth, or may we call you Best?

More of Gondolin, few could tell, except perhaps the Silmarillion. It is an awe inspiring and tragic tale, that moved me deeply.

Gondolin is in the top left hand corner of Tolkien's map of Beleriand, which you will also find in the Sil.

Turgon also has a thread under 'characters' if you are interested in reading other people's comments on him

Happy Reading!! And welcome to the forum.
"May the Angels Guide"

grondmaster

Gondolin

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The location of Goldolin under the waves is approximately 500 miles west of Hobbiton and 150 miles to the north. Not having access to global positioning satellites and submersibles makes this just a rough estimate. :D
'Share and enjoy'

Allyssa

Gondolin

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yikes!

*hides behind the golden tree in the Kings garden, hoping she is not leaving a tell-tale trail of drips*
"May the Angels Guide"

Allyssa

Gondolin

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was just stroling through the forum....

Gondolin is definately my favourite Sil place. I would love to see the great fountains, the walled gardens, the waterfalls, the green valley floor, the great tower of Ecthelion, the images of the Two Trees and maybe get a glimpse of the royal family :) .

If I could take a time machine into ME, that is where I would visit first.
"May the Angels Guide"

valedhelgwath

Gondolin

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But then we'd never see you again, Allyssa, because by Turgon's Law, whoever finds their way there can never be permitted to leave again. Look what happened the last time he broke that command.
Still, it'd be a pretty good place to spend the rest of your life.

Cirdan

Gondolin

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah Gondolin sounded pretty nice but think i'd prefer to go hang out in the Shire for a bit. Nice beer, bit of a sing song, stroll in the hills. If i went to Gondolin I wouldnt understand a darned thing they were saying (unless they spoke Welsh and that would just be wierd) have to stay there forever and listen to all their moanin' about how great their old home was and sitting around plucking thier eyebrows and combing their hair like all the vain gits they are. Thats why I went to stay down at the coast to make sure when they left they bloody well didn't come back again!

grondmaster

Gondolin

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:funnylaugh:
'Share and enjoy'

gromdul

Gondolin

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

First post: Couldnt think of a better place to put it, a question if I may:--... All the literature I have read tells me that Frodo, after about 50 years, and because of his injuries, goes to Grey Havens with Gandalf and Elrond thence by White Ship captained by Cirdon, to "dwell a while among the deathless of Amon", Does anyone know what and where Amon is and who the deathless are ? ........thanks :D

PlasticSquirrel

Gondolin

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Very much so, Aman refers to the undying lands of Valinor in the uttermost west, where the Valar and Maiar and most of the elves now live. If this is just so much gobbledigook to you, then don't worry you are not alone.
You may notice in Lotr that many of the Elves talk about returning into the uttermost west. This is what they mean. It is kind of like the Vallhalla of Norse mythology in some ways (not the feasting and killing of course) but much like Bifrost, the Rainbow bridge to Vallhalla, Tolkien had the "Straight Road" that went off the edge of the world to Valinor. For more (and probably more coherent) information, try the Silmarillion, very hard going compared to LOtr and the Hobbit, but good for knowing this sort of thing.

Welcome to the Forum Gromdul, I hope you enjoy it.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

gromdul

Gondolin

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks Plastic squirrel, appreciated, no indeed it didnt sound like gobbledigook, just had trouble getting a bead on Aman, I can foolow that up now, once again.....thanks
:D

Return to “Places”