Fangorn Forest

lembas.bread

Fangorn Forest

Post#1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:12 pm

I'm quite interested in Fangorn forest and I'm looking to dig up all the info I can about it. Would you guys care to help me out?

miruvor

Fangorn Forest

Post#2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:40 am

I suggest consulting the chapter Treebeard in TTT. Most information about Fangorn forest is given by the old dendrophile.

elanorraine

Fangorn Forest

Post#3 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:08 am

In addition to the chapters in The Two Towers where Fangorn (aka Treebeard) himself talks, try comparing everything you glean from TTT with the description of the Old Forest/Bombadil's domain near the Shire in the first book. The two forests were (if I remember correctly) originally connected by leagues of trees and might even be said to be remnants of the same huge forest.

lembas.bread

Fangorn Forest

Post#4 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Will do. Anything anybody else can tell me about this? Things from the Silmarillion or Tolkiens notes or something else? Also include caracters pertaining to the forest and ties they have with it. Certain elves, Legolas, Treebeard, Quickbeam (my favorite), or others. TY in advance.

grondmaster

Fangorn Forest

Post#5 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:02 pm

Also check the index of Unfinished Tales under both 'Fangorn' and 'Entwood': among other things there, it tells of a meeting between Treebeard and the King of the Galadhrim in ancient days.

We are just pointing you in the right direction, to enable your learning more by doing your own research for your paper. :teacher: (Of course if you aren't doing this as schoolwork, but only out of curiosity, I offer my apology for my suspicion in advance.)
'Share and enjoy'

lembas.bread

Fangorn Forest

Post#6 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:20 pm

No, not for any school things. I've just always loved Fangorn Forest and I am just eager to learn about it. I have the book of lost tales, but not unfinished tales (arn't they the same thing). I'm in the middle of lost tales 1 and it's sort of boring. I like The Silmarillion much better, but I am going to power through this anyways.

elrose

Fangorn Forest

Post#7 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:54 pm

. I have the book of lost tales, but not unfinished tales (arn't they the same thing).

one questoin. do they sound like the same thing??

in case you still havent figured it out, no, unfinished tales is way better and way different.

grondmaster

Fangorn Forest

Post#8 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Sorry if we have sounded rude Lembas, it wasn't really meant as such.

The Unfinished Tales is almost 500 pages of many more details from the existing stories as well as a few new tales. I found it fleshes out many of the stories in The Silmarillion and is much easier to read. While the books of The Lost Tales are also known as Books 1 and 2 of the twelve books of History of Middle-earth, the (H.O.M.E.) series. I also found The Lost Talesto be harder to read and understand as they didn't seem to fit into my sense of Tolkien's world.
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Fangorn Forest

Post#9 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:49 am

There is a particularly nice section in Unfinished Tales about that old forest, prior to the Numenorians chopping it down (well, actually set at the time of the felling). It always reminded me of pictures you see of what is currently happening in the Amazon. I cannot remember the name of the section just off hand, but it concerns the port of Lond Daer.

grondmaster

Fangorn Forest

Post#10 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:53 pm

There is a particularly nice section in Unfinished Tales about that old forest, prior to the Numenorians chopping it down (well, actually set at the time of the felling). .... I cannot remember the name of the section just off hand, but it concerns the port of Lond Daer.

Yes, that section called the 'Port of Lond Daer' is found in Appendix D of Part II of UT, at the end of 'IV The History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lorien' (about in the middle of the book).
:read:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “Places”