What the heck does the Grey Havens look like?

chikakat

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I kind of always pictured the grey havens looking somewhat like parts of the coast of Maine: rocky, misty, windy, but not altogether foreboding and unpleasant.

grondmaster

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've always pictured the Grey Havens as a Norwegian fishing village perched on the side of a fiord, except the buildings are more ornate and a few eons older, and in the area of habitation there are lawns of mown green grass rather than just a rocky shore line, but the cliffs and elderly buildings are weathered grey, hence the name. Oh yes, all the longboats have swanheads rather than dragonheads. :elfcool:

And welcome to our forum Tar-Aldarion. :happyelf:
nn[Edited on 20/10/2002 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Erm... Grey?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Amarië

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow Grondy, I'll never see Lofoten the way I used to anymore! (Place in Norway know for their wether-beaten small fishing villages). *Proud to live in Norway*
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

grondmaster

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Way back in 1950, in my fourth grade elementary school social studies class, we spent an entire month learning about Norway. That plus the many photos in The National Geographic Magazine gave me a built in picture of the Grey Havens. Of course I doubt if that part of Middle-earth gets as much snow as Norway, probably more like our central Puget Sound, where we seldom get over a foot on the ground at sea level, and our snow never lasts more than a fortnight. :elfcool:
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's as good, if not better than my vision. I remember a spot on the west coast of Scotland that met your criteria except the soft sand was replaced by small rocks. Oh Lordy but, wasn't it grey!
'Share and enjoy'

ProgHead777

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Interesting. My imagining of The Grey Havens matches nicely with Anilorak's but without the soft sandy beach. Just rocks... grey rocks. The only thing I would add is a single, long, brilliant white stone pier. Actually, quite a lot like parts of the Jersey shore!

Oh, and with Cirdan just standing around getting salt encrusted. :funnylaugh: J/k.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

TomBombadillo

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In my mind it looks pretty much like Anilorak's described it. Huge rocks everywhere, a grey mist on the water and this one white ship always moared there (until of course Gandalf and co. take it). Guess everyone has a different view.
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Ross

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I alway's picture tha Grey havens as bineg situated in a bay with a delta to the side of it, and there being a walled city ther with tall ellegant tower's and lots of wharf's extending into the sea, beaches that double up as dry docks, and a cliff face to the opposite side to the of the delta with a large tower on the top of it with a beacon on the top of the tower.
Sod off I'm busy!

Return to “Places”