Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Quote Game

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Current Games > Quote Game   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>
Quote:
There can be fun in to congratulate someone for guessing the correct quote you know.
We can still do that. I was just trying to move the game along; but in the future we can play by your rule if you'd rather, for fun is what we are after in these games. I'm flexible. Happy Elf Smilie
OK. Fine. My mistake. I won't post here again.

Amarië says: This post, the one above and a few of the ones below are replys to posts that has been deleted by their writer.
Floyd - you did nothing wrong so no reason why you shouldn't post again. No harm done anywhere to anyone.
You have done nothing wrong Migsy. Not a shread of bad behaviour. A council member said go ahead and you did. We wait when we are unsure, and we can move on if we are 100% sure. We have been doing great so far.

Not everybody can be online everyday. In worst cases we might sit and wait for days. Or forever. And I can't see the problem in adding an congratulation a bit later.

It's a game! The exciting part is to see how quickly the others find what quote it is. Have fun! Go with the flow. Enjoy the madness a forum like this creates.
Wiggle Smilie

Eruwen, you're next! Deal Smilie
Don't blow things out of proportion. This is a difficult medium and it is easy to take misread the tone. Stay right where you are!
Obviously Floyd got offended by you and you got offended by me, and none of us meant any offence what-so ever.

This is what happens online, I am from Norway, you are from the Netherlands, he is from India, and we are comunicating in a language that isn't our own and we can't look at the other persons faces or body language to make sure we get what they are saying right.

I had a little war going with LordAelric (I think you have met him in chat?) a while ago, and it was nothing but a long line of misunderstanding. But we sorted it out and now I love the nasty little bug that he is. Wink Smilie But had he left instead of sticking around long enough for us to talk it through, I would have never have got to know him.

Eruwen, it is still your turn! Wink Smilie
Quote:
Floyd_n_milan Posted Friday 5th November 2004 (02:30pm)

OK. Fine. My mistake. I won't post here again.

I cannot understand that. I mean i thought we're all adult people here, having some fun. What's with the whining like a 13 year old (no offense 13 year olds) ? Whatever the subject you were discussing, i think people should talk to each other before going out like "Ok i won't post again!"
Well, alrighty then...I step away for a little bit and everyone gets all out of line. Wink Smilie (Totally joking!)

Okay...let's change the subject and get back to quotes. Who said:

"The Great Ring shall go now to be an heirloom of the north kingdom; but record of it shall be left in Gondor, where also dwell the heirs of Elendil, lest a time come when the memory of these great matters shall grow dim."
Isildur? I think it is Isildur... In his scrolls.... *thinks really hard* Yes.... Isildur.
Quote:
What's with the whining like a 13 year old (no offense 13 year olds) ?

I SHOULD THINK SO!!!!!!! THIRTEENYEAROLDS UNITE!!!!! Who says thirteenyearolds whine? (It depends if they're a male, boy, girl, or female. And yes, there IS a difference)

And NOW you're supposed to give a quote. But I shall give one instead, if you don't mind. Wiggle Smilie

Quote:
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are slow and quick to anger.

(There are three answers - the one who originally said it, the one who quoted it in TLOTR, and the one who always used to say it but we never hear him say it in TLOTR)
Hey Loni...You didn't even give Gildor a chance to put down a quote, silly. Lighening Smilie
(Of course, we can always have several quotes going at once, which could be fun and move the game along.)

Hooray...Gondor, you are correct!!! Jumping Flame Smilie
Hooray!! And the Answer to Loni's quote is me! Gildor Inglorion! *thinks of a quote*

Quote:
"So much for joy, Thorin Oakenshield. You may go back to our halls in safety; all the treasure is yours - for the moment. But many are gathering hither beside the birds. The news of the death of the guardian has already gone far and wide, and the legend of the wealth of Thror has not lost in the spoil. Already a host of elves is on the way, and carrion birds are with them hoping for battle and slaughter. By the lake men murmur that their sorrows are due to the dwarves; for they are homeless and many have died, and Smaug has destroyed their town. They too think to find amends from your treasure, whether you are alive or dead. Your own wisdom must decide your course; but thirteen a small remnat of the great folk of Durin that once dwelt here, and now are scattered far. If you will listen to my counsil, you will not trust the Master of the Lake-men, but rather him that shot the dragon with his bow. Bard is he, of the race of Dale, of the line of Girion; he is a grim man but true. We would see peace once more among dwarves and men and elves after the long desolation; but it may cost you that in gold. I have spoken."

Wow... Long one... Tough one Very Big Grin Smilie
Oooooo! I thought I saw a puddy tat! Chicken Smilie
Am I allowed to answer this one?
Well you may as well Dunedain
Everybody is allowed to answer. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Oooooo! I thought I saw a puddy tat!

Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Man!! This one took a long time coming! *Blinks at Gildor*

Oh well, the answer is Roac, son of Carc, the blind raven. Grondy gave a niiiiiiice hint there.

And, I suppose I can safely post the new quote right now. So here it is:

Quote:

"A darkness lies behind us", ____ said; "and we have turned our backs upon it, and we do not desire to return thither even in thought. Westwards our hearts have been turned, and we believe that there we shall find Light."

P.S. I did, I did taw a puddy tad!!
Yes! Yes! Yes! YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!!! Big Smile Smilie Pary Smilie It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Wink Smilie
Quote:
"A darkness lies behind us," Beor said;"and we have turned....

Took me most of the afternoon to find it, as it is buried at the end of a paragraph in "The Silmarillion" Chapter 17, Of the coming of the Men Into The West. Beor spoke these words to Felagund, who was quizzing him about the arising of Men and their journies.

Quote:
'Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never,' said ______. 'And mayhap in this time shall the old saw be proved truer than ever before since men spoke with mouth'

Quote:

'Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never,' said ______. 'And mayhap in this time shall the old saw be proved truer than ever before since men spoke with mouth'

Very nice Rednell. Good work!! Smile Smilie Now, I don't seem to remember your quote, but I shall find out!

(Edited by Vee - Added the quote)
Haha!! Yaaaaaaay!! I found it. But I ain't telling you lot. Search for yourself. It's a toughy, but look for clues in there Big Smile Smilie
This "need brooks no delay" is ringing all these little bells!!!!! But I'm not quite sure who said it!!!! Is it Gandalf? (And Floyd, why do you keep saying you know something but don't jump up and get the prize?)
Quote:

This "need brooks no delay" is ringing all these little bells!!!!! But I'm not quite sure who said it!!!! Is it Gandalf? (And Floyd, why do you keep saying you know something but don't jump up and get the prize?)

Ah, you're on the right track Loni. But I won't say who it is. And speaking of your question towards me, I'd rather not answer it.
Aha! Eomer!...It's Eomer when the Rohirrim finally arrive in Gondor after their long ride.

Okay...new quote:
Quote:
"For that woe is past," said ____; "and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, though still hope may seem bright."
Galadriel, while talking to Melian in Doriath. Must have been what?.... 3 days ago? That was when I read that chapter!!

Hmm. Now I can't seem to be able to find a good enough quote. I just picked this one randomly!

Quote:

"The days are dark, and there is no hope for Men, for the faithful are few. Therefore I am minded to try that counsel which our forefather Earendil took of old, to sail into the West, be there ban or no, and to speak of the Valar, even to Manwe himself, if may be, and beseech his aid ere all is lost."
errr..... No one?
Wait..... we are thinking......
tomorrow........ maybe..........
I think Amandil, father of Elendil, said that.

Certainly it has to be a quote from the Akallabeth.
Virumor's got it. Your turn Vir
Quote:
"The Enemy must have some great need or purpose," said ____; "but what it is that makes him look to these distant and desolate parts, I cannot guess."

Good luck.
'Radagast' (the Brown) is the name in the blank, but he wasn't the speaker of the overall quote. I'll leave it to someone else to find when, where, by whom, and to whom this was reported. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Gandalf in the Council of Elrond?
You got it Floyd_n_milan, your turn. Happy Elf Smilie
Here goes another one:

Quote:

"Equally the Noldor, who went wilfully into exile, may not return hither"
the Vala Mandos/Námo said that.
Yup, it was Mandos. Your turn Vir.
Quote:
But _____ said: 'Almost. I am spent I shall go with the sun. Now little time is left: if you know, tell me! How did she find him?'

Morwen!

"He cannot stand alone!"
Aragorn on the bridge of Khazad-dûm, as he turned back toward helping Gandalf battle the Balrog.

Quote:
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighing of the Sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.
OK. I give up. Can't find this one. Anyone?
Quote:
OK. I give up. Can't find this one. Anyone?
Okay , they are lines from the Lay of Leithian about the song contest between Sauron and King Felagund as presented in The Silmarillion in the chapter entitled 'Of Beren and Luthien'. I just chose lines other than the starting ones, which I thought would be too easy; instead my lines were too hard. Though if you google my first line you would find 106 entries, the third one of which is this P-T thread. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Someone else may start another one now.
Quote:

Though if you google my first line you would find 106 entries, the third one of which is this P-T thread.

Wow. I've never tried to Google anything here or in the Trivia for that matter. I mean, what's the fun in that? Anyways, someone please post a new quote....
Quote:
I've never tried to Google anything here or in the Trivia for that matter. I mean, what's the fun in that?
Good for you Floyd_n_milan, but sometimes it may be done when a puzzle seems to have died and it will take another day or two to get the answer from the originator and get the new one posted.
"Come, come!" he said. "'While there's life there's hope!' as my father used to say, and 'Third time pays for all.' ..."
Bilbo said that!

Here's the next one :

Quote:

"I can't abide fog" said ___, "But this seems to be a lucky one. Now perhaps we can get away without those cursed Goblins seeing us"
Sam said that in Chapter 9 'The Great River' , Book II, FotR.

Quote:
"Give me my sword!" shouted the King, finding his voice, but forgetting his plural.
Quote:
"Give me my sword!" shouted the King, finding his voice, but forgetting his plural.

I'd say the King said that... But that would be far too easy. Tongue Smilie
Actually it was the King: Augustus Bonifacius Ambrosius Aurelianus Antontus Pius et Magnificus, dux, rex, tyrannus, et basileus Mediterranearum Parfium from Farmer Giles of Ham, (Farmer Giles was rightly called Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo.)

Now for the next one!

Quote:
'Darkly the sundering flood rolls past! To this my long way comes at last — a hunger and a loneliness, enchanted waters pitiless.'

I'll give hints if you need one.
lay of Leithian
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] >>