Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Films that make us cry...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Golden Perch > Films that make us cry...   << [1] [2] [3] [4] >>
Schindler's List make me cry....every time I see it..i can't stop crying...
Quote:
How about TV shows that make us cry? That show -- Extreme Home Makeover -- man, the tears just flow. Those families that they pick to redo their houses have been through so much that I just can't imagine living through what they have! The one two weeks ago about the star basketball player who was shot by mistake and became a quadriplegic...oh man, I was in tears the whole time, especially when they played the 911 call from his niece. Ugh.

My wife and I watch that show sometimes too Eruwen, and I agree, that show will seriously make you cry every time. We recently also saw the episode you referred to with the basketball player who was shot by a gang member in a case of mistaken identity, and we were absolutely sobbing our heads off the whole time!
Very Sad Smilie
Yes yes YES Extreme Makeover: Home Edition! I cry every time, but I think the one I cried the most on was the one with the deaf parents and the blind autistic kid... especially at the end with Preston and the windchimes Very Sad Smilie
I know, Elfstone! Even my husband...a man of few tears, tears up! It's extremely moving. Finally, people that deserve these things. I hate those reality wedding shows where they will say, "Oh, instead of $5,000 you have $100,00 for your wedding!" Please, give it to people who really need it instead of making someone's wedding over the top.

And yes, Eva! The one with the deaf parents and the blind autistic kid, I was sobbing on that one too.
When I watched Resident Evil, I cried. What did they do to the beautiful game?! Nuts they are..all nuts!
. . .
What's with the dots, Eva?

I'll tell you the film that will MAKE YOU CRY!!! But only if you're a girl, I notice. All the reviews by dudes are unsympathetic and don't understand the phantom's plight. The phantom of the opera. Especially if you listen to the song in the credits 'Learn to be Lonely'. Meanwhile, the big ominous organ music is REALLY COOL!!!! I'm learning the pieces on the piano. And I've been humming them for a week straight.
Oh My Gosh!! I just saw The "Phantom of the Opera" on Friday. I was going to cry when the Phantom told Christine to get out and take Raoul. It was sooooo sad when the phantom was sitting alone and listening to the box playing the music and he was singing along...I wanted to cry soooo much Very Sad Smilie but I was with my dad and couldn't. My whole family cried when we watched "Radio", I couldn't believe how mean some people are. I have yet to see another really good movie that made me cry... Very Sad Smilie
Braveheart and the Patriot are two of the best movies I ever saw. (I think Mel Gibson's a genius.)
I don't cry during movies. "Save the tears for when your having bamboo shoots put up your fingernails," is a phrase i like.

Napoleon Dynamite is a great movie. If you don't think so you can flippin leave! Gosh! (Everyone needs to see that movie............. it's awesome!) Most qoutable movie you'll ever see! Gosh! (turns his head sharply to the right) Ever take it off any sweet jumps? Why'd you eat all the flippin chips kip? Napoleon...... don't be jealous just because I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter. Since when? You have like the worst reflexes ever! Oh yeah, try and hit me Napoleon. What? Come down here and see what happens if you try to hit me Napoleon!

All John Wayne movies are good. (or else)
I cried in:
X2 (at the end when Jean "dies" even though I knew she really didn't die, but just the reasoning behind it...that she died for her teammates)
FOTR, ROTK
A League of Their Own
Forest Gump
The Green Mile
Troy (when Hector's wife starts bawling....that got me)
Joan of Arc
The Last Samurai (I'll never, ever watch that again because it was too sad! That's odd coming form me considering all my books are about death and destruction and sadness, and my songs and poems too. And when someone dies, everyone else dies....it's like Shakespeare!)
Spartacus (the newer one with Goran Vijnic or whatever his name is)

I didn't realize I cried in so many movies...that's sad for being a guy. I felt heartless when I didn't cry at Ned Kelly. Everyone I was watching it with cried and cried and cried....and I was like...eh...
The dots are sort of like a double take... a "Huh? Right...." kind of thing... difficult to explain. Hopefully lord aragorn understood... maybe question marks would have worked better.
Quote:
The Green Mile

The Green Mile will definitely do it to ya! That one is a heartbreaker, and a darn fine film, it's just too bad not enough people have seen that one and don't realize just how good that movie actually is!
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
The dots are sort of like a double take... a "Huh? Right...." kind of thing... difficult to explain. Hopefully lord aragorn understood... maybe question marks would have worked better.

Actually it is against the rules to post posts like that, and if it happens again, then the post will be deleted. Link to the rules
Moderator Smilie

But you do get points for originality. (hehe, points). Can't remember seeing only dots before. But don't do it again, ok? Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
Hopefully lord aragorn understood...

My response to the dots was "Huh?". Sorry, I didn't understand what you were trying to say. I never can. I'm a bit slow at that. I never was any intelligent.

. . .
Wink Smilie Enjoy
I'll tell you a film that it is COMPULSORY to cry in... but usually only girls cry in it, but only girls understand the phantom's plight... The Phantom of the Opera. Especially the bit when he gets the rose and starts crying his eyes out, and the bit when he smashes the mirrors because they reflect his unmasked face... But I must admit, the first time I watched it, I was more like SCARED when he had the rose, because I was so afraid he would go and run Raoul through on his sword. It's the saddest movie I've EVER seen, and my favourite. The SCarlet PImpernel had been my favourite for AGES, but this one wipes the floor with him. I still can't decide whether Raol or the phantom deserve Christine more. You see, you could easily say "Raoul, DUH, becasue the Phantom is a murderer and possesses Christine rather than loves her and he's so violent and he's a horror and he's just..... SCARY!!!!" But then the argument is"But he's sorry for all he's done at the end, and also, wouldn't you be angry at the world if your own mother sold you to gypsies? And people whipping you JUST because you had a deformed face, and living in solitude all his life... And as for the possessing, he's never experienced love at all, so how is he supposed to know how it's done?" I could go on for SOOOO long. I just can't decide. And the MUSIC!!! If you don't get the finer points, watch it for the MUSIC!!!! Sorry to say this, guys, but it's a better soundtrack than LOTR. It is. It's a fact. If you just listen to the title song "Phanotm of the OPera" with all the organ bits... THE BELL RANG!! Got to go!
"Million Dollar Baby!" Sad Smilie Man, I cried even when I left the theatre and was thinking about it. Go see it people!
Has anyone said Finding Neverland yet? Man, I was trying not to sob at the end of that one as well. It was so beautiful and touching and heart-wrenching.
Quote:
Actually it is against the rules to post posts like that, and if it happens again, then the post will be deleted.

Wups... sorry. And sorry, too, lord aragorn, that you didn't understand the post. Sad Smilie

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" almost noone has ever heard of it, but the ending always makes me cry. It's a very good movie, if you can find it you should see it...
Has no one EVER watched Phantom of the Opera here? YOU IDIOTS!!! It's the saddest movie I've ever seen, and I've seen millions and hundreds and billions of sad movies.

(And that, my friends, is what you call a hyperbole)
Loni, Loni (she says trying to get her attention)...I told you in the film recommendation section that I saw it due to your instigations, and I agree with your friend...it's sad, but it's NOT that sad. I didn't shed a tear, and I cry pretty easily. Sorry. Sad Smilie
I haven't seen the film version of that one yet, is it pretty true to Andrew Lloyd Weber's vision? I am a little skeptical about seeing film adaptations of anything these days...I wonder why... Wary Smilie

Why is it sooooooooo sad, Loni?

If you have never seen Elijah Woods' first film, Radio Flyer, watch it next time you get a chance. Now that one is truly sad...but also oddly inspirational. Elijah's performance is amazing, but bring a couple of boxes of tissues-you'll need 'em.
Quote:
but bring a couple of boxes of tissues-you'll need 'em.

Or a few boxes of chocolates - whichever you would prefer.
The Rankin/Bass animated movie 'The Hobbit' always makes me cry when I see what they did to Thranduil. Sad Smilie

"Gandalf is Me!"

Oh the humanity! *weeps uncontrollably*
An interesting string. Clearly one is open to potshots here. That's okay.

I cry more at movies than at real life. That's a way of saying that my real life is pretty good, I guess.

The movie that made me cry the most is "Journey of Hope." I wasn't only crying, I was practically keening.

A different experience: "Immortal Beloved." It's about Beethoven and a culminative scene shows Beethoven at the performance of the ninth symphony, during the ode to joy. He's flashing back to his escaping one night from his violently abusive father. Later I was reading the notes to the ninth symphony and a translation of the text. A line in it is: "Surely beyond the stars there is a father who loves us." Then I really lost it.

I'm sympathetic with people asking, "How can you cry at a movie? it's not real." The fact is I don't know. It does seem absurd.
Very Sad Smilie

The Green Mile - has to be, even hubby cried at that, plus both my daughters. So imagine 2 40 year olds and an 18 and 19 year old all sitting crying at a film. Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
Quote:
A different experience: "Immortal Beloved." It's about Beethoven and a culminative scene shows Beethoven at the performance of the ninth symphony, during the ode to joy. He's flashing back to his escaping one night from his violently abusive father. Later I was reading the notes to the ninth symphony and a translation of the text. A line in it is: "Surely beyond the stars there is a father who loves us." Then I really lost it.

I love this movie, Shaya! What a great film. All of you PT'ers...rent it! I had forgotten about this one. Thanks for the reminder.

*Hey, where's my avatar?*
I thought Shine was a great movie, based on facts for a change. I'd also recommend Firelight. Real tear-jerkers.
I am not the "crying" type of person when it comes to movies... but there is one film.
A.I
The whole movie makes my eyeys watery... especially when his "mother" leaves him and during the whole film tries to makes his back home. In the end his only wish is to be with his mom for one day... Very Sad Smilie
Poor little Haley Joel Osment in that movie! Oh God! And when he finds out the Blue Fairy isn't, well...I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it...but that truly is a sad one, alright. What makes you feel better watching that movie is how hot Jude Law looks as a robot...

Anyway...

Yes, The Green Mile is also a sad one. But sooo good! Another Tom Hanks film that always makes me cry(and laugh) is, of course, Forrest Gump, which I think is definitely in my Top 5 Favorite Films of All Time...Poor Jenny...Poor Forrest...but I love how it is still so innocent and hopeful even after all of the sadness...What a performance Tom gave!
Quote:
I haven't seen the film version of that one yet, is it pretty true to Andrew Lloyd Weber's vision? I am a little skeptical about seeing film adaptations of anything these days...I wonder why...

Why is it sooooooooo sad, Loni?

Finally, someone who recognises the existence of my movie posts!!!! I haven't seen Andrew Lloyd WEbber's show, but I am ready to bet ten bucks that it is faithful!!! Andrew Lloyd WEbber had a HUGE influence over it. There's pictures of him telling people what to do in EVERY picture of the sets you see. All the music is his. It's the music from the show, except a few extra minutes. He wrote a new song for the credits 'Learn to be Lonely' and he wrote two new pieces 'Journey to the Cemetery' and 'Madame GIry's Tale' which is the music to the flashback of Giry's telling how she rescued the Phantom. YOU GET TO SEE IT!!! Not just hear it. And there was this great quote of Andrew Lloyd WEbber's I found. He said he thought the film was a remarkably good rendition of the show, though it was a different thing nonetheless. He was VERY pleased with it. And he was adamant that all the actors and actresses could sing their parts themselves. So they did. Except Minnie Driver (Carlotta) who had a singing voice (Margaret Preece). But Minnie DRiver can sing. Just not Carlotta-styles. Minnie DRiver sang 'Learn to be Lonely' in the credits. Which is quite amazing. You listen to her playing CArlotta, and then imagine her singing LEarn to be Lonely - the images just DON'T match. But it's true.

It's the best movie I've ever seen in my life.
Just to add. In answer to "Why is it soooo sad, Loni?" (I would edit it onto the end of my last post but for some reason the computer won't let me)

It's SOOOO sad because it's so tragic. Because how mean the Phantom was treated, and if they hadn't treated him like that, he wouldn't've have turned into a coldblooded murderer. That's tragic. Because he could've been a really rich, brainy, esteemed person, being a genius. He could design HUGE buildings. He could compose for famous operas. He's a magician, architect, composer, like Giry said. And because he didn't get Christine, that's tragic. But if he had, it would've been tragic as well!!! Because of poor Raoul. Raoul says "Say you love him, and my life is over!!" I really can't decide who deserved her. Well, actually I can. Raoul does, in all justice. You see, I can't decide between justice and mercy. The poor poor Phantom!! But Raoul is the more honourable. And, if you've read the book, you would've noticed how nice and good the Phantom was when he had convicned himself that he was loved for his own sake. He wasn't going to kill anyone, he was happy.... No more lassooes!!!! Well, the bell rang, so I can't say anymore.
Okay...Laurel, how many times have I responded to Loni's gushes about Phantom? I'm sure someone must have recognized this besides myself.

Loni -- I keep saying that I HAVE SEEN PHANTOM!!!! Read my other posts you silly. And you talk about no one reading your posts...harumph! Shaking Head Smilie (See pg. 12)

Oh no...the bell rang, which means she'll never read this one either! Big Laugh Smilie
Eruwen-like a trillion times!

I need to see Phantom...and just so you know, I think all the other members can't help but notice your posts, Loni...you're one of a kind, my kiwi friend! That's why you oddly got a thread named after you! LOL
Watched 'Finding Never Land' last night - had a good cry at the end of it. Sad Smilie
When i was little i cried like mad when i saw 'The Land Before Time 1' the little dinosaur looses his mum and he sees his own shadow and he thinks that itz his mums shadow he runs and he is really heartbroken when he finds that itz his! so so so sad!
the only time, i think, i cryed in a movie was when Frodo left Sam in RotK...i know it didnt happen in the books...but i was confused about it and i was sad about it... Good and Evil SmilieVery Sad Smilie
No, I didn't cry in any of the "normal" places to cry in any of the LOTR movies. I think the one that surprised me the most was in FOTR. When the camera follows Gandalf's cart and then pans over to show us Bag End for the first time--that made me tear up. I have been reading that opening scene for 30 years to so many people and picturing it to myself. And suddenly I saw there what I had seen all those years in my mind's eye. Of course I have my gripes about the movies, but this was one thing PJ did very right. He showed me Bag End!
Funny enough, there is something quite stirring about that scene. It's always given me a bit of a lump in my throat... More so than in the obvious places like where Gandalf falls.
oh,yes,I've got the same feeling about that scene,but to my mind the thing is mostly in a music piece accompanying
I have recently watched 'Once Were Warriors' and howled my eyes out. It was a really good film. I also watched the follow on film 'What becomes of the Broken Hearted' didn't cry at this but it was good.

It must be my age coz I seem to be crying at most things at the moment. I watched Children in Need and cryed. I watch a baby being born and I cry. Just say "Boo" to me and I'm sure I'll cry. Very Sad Smilie Elf Confused Smilie

Ususally I'm a really happy person Shaking Head Smilie
Quote:
I have recently watched 'Once Were Warriors' and howled my eyes out. It was a really good film. I also watched the follow on film 'What becomes of the Broken Hearted' didn't cry at this but it was good.

These are both very gritty, realistic, films (particularly the first one) that are bound to provoke a lot of emotions. I watched them both when they first came out, so saw them in the correct order. My wife, however, did not realise Broken Hearted was a sequel when she watched it, so got a totally different perspective of Jake the Mus. She was quite shocked when she finally saw him as the wife beating thug in Once were warriors.
I can't remember if I said this already, but Million Dollar Baby made me cry. Ugh! It's a fantastic movie.
Quote:
oh,yes,I've got the same feeling about that scene,but to my mind the thing is mostly in a music piece accompanying

Yes, the Shire Music! That music is played during all the sad and poignant parts of the movies involving the hobbits, as well as the beginning in the Shire (hence, my title for it). I always tear up when I hear it, even when I hear it outside of the movie. My friend learned to play it on the piano
Only two movies (that I can think of offhand) get to me every time. One is The Song of Bernadette, and the other is Goodbye, Mr. Chips with Robert Donat. These were both done in black and white, and with minimal effects in The Song of Bernadette. I'm sure others would agree with me that it's the story and the characters (and to some extent the music, yes) that hit the heart, regardless of whether the movie is cinematically up-to-date.
I cried during the first LOTR movie : the riot police had invaded the theatre using tear gas, after some disillusioned Tolkien purists had caused mayhem.
Actually I cried when I saw The Lion ( I hadnt read the book )ASLAN in Narnia got killed , I thougth his sacrifice was so sad... but luckely he survived
i read the book and i still cried when Aslan died. talk about SAD. i cry alot in movies. i remember when i went to watch ROTK in theatre, i cried at the end. ( inoe it was a happy ending, but it was just sooo touching.)
Rang De Basanti! Awesome movie. Watch it with English subtitles if you can people. Well worth it. One of the best movies I've seen. I put it on par with The Godfather. Absolutely stunning work!

Here's a link to the IMDB page.
ye rang de basanti was good... i was soo depressed in the end....why they all have to die! but great movie,, definatly worth watching
Borat.

It'll make you laugh so hard that you'll cry.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] >>