Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
If my memory isn't bad, Frodo thought he saw two pale points of light like flickering green laterns in the dark. I think he also fancied hearing the soft patter of webbed feet.
Uruk Slayer has the correct answer as well as the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Question Smilie Who sang:
Quote:
Cold be hand and heart and bone,
And cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.
Question Smilie
I know this like college students know how to take a free meal whenever available. It's the Barrow Wight!
And it was also one of my quiz questions, so that shouldn't have been a hard one... Tongue Smilie
Quote:
And it was also one of my quiz questions, so that shouldn't have been a hard one... Tongue Smilie
And no doubt I had already used it here once before.

Anyway Uruk Slayer gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the answer. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Frodo and Sam escape from the Ors-band marching to Udun Question Smilie
Quote:
How did Frodo and Sam escape from the Ors-band marching to Udun ?

I can't believe nobody has answered this one yet, and that it's sat here this long! This one is way too easy! I'll give someone else a chance for another day, but then I pounce!
Cat Smiling Smilie
Yea Elfstone, the Dog Days of Summer have come a month early this year. Our members are probably lying in the shade drinking lemonade or panting up a storm. Dog Smilie
Well for the sake of keeping the trivia thread rolling along, Frodo and Sam escaped from the Orc band marching to Udan by capitalizing on the confusion caused by several Orc companies all trying to get to the gate first. In all of the confusion, and jostling for position, some scuffles broke out amongst the Orcs, and Frodo and Sam seized the opportunity by falling to the ground, and then they slowly crawled on their hands and knees out of the turmoil, until at last unnoticed they dropped over the further edge of the road. They were somewhat hidden by the high curb on the edge of the road, and they crawled away a little further until they came to a shallow pit, which they crawled into, and then dear Sam used the Elven cloaks to cover them.
Elf Winking Smilie
Keerect! Elfstone, so have another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

And tell me: Why was Sauron taken to NúmenorQuestion Smilie
He commanded Sauorn to come before him and swear to him fealty. . . But Ar-Pharazon was not yet deceived, and it came into his mind that, for the better keeping of Sauron and of his oaths of fealty, he should be brought to Numenor, there to dwell as a hostage for himself and all his servants in Middle-Earth.
You got it Mellie, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Frodo cry as he struck at the feet of the Nazgűl Lord Question Smilie
'A Elbereth Gilthoniel!' I think
Yes those were Frodo's words, so Peredhil get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Dark Elf of Nan Elmoth Question Smilie
Aaarrgghh! Give us a minute, I'll find it for you. I know exactly who you mean, but I just can't find his name. It's on the tip of my tongue!!

Eöl! Tadaaah!
That's it Tommie; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who defeated whom in the Battle of the Camp Question Smilie
Ok I could go ahead and post the answer here right now, because I have all my Tolkien books right here with me, but I won't. I'll wait another bit for someone else to come along and post here.
The question remains:

Who defeated whom in the Battle of the Camp Question Smilie

Okay, two hints: Third Age and found in UT.
Eärnil II of Gondor (the 32nd King) defeated the Wainriders of Ithilien in the Battle of the Camp. This occurred in T.A. 1944.
Arcormacolindóva has got it right, and gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

NOTE: The Pseudo-Silmarils awarded here are ephemeral in that the sublimate while in transit and thus all you really receive is bragging rights.

What road crossed the River Poros Question Smilie
Yes, the Harad Road crossed the River Poros, so Ringfacwen gets the Pretty Bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Beren rescue at Rivil's Well above the Fen of Serech Question Smilie
Right again Ringfacwen, another Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Shire's prison in Michel Delving called Question Smilie
I think it is Whiteholes, or Whitelock...
Samwisegamgee: I think I'll perform some magic Al-Zebra on your answers and give you the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Assuming your two answers are of equal value:

Whiteholes = Whitelock, factoring yeilds:

(White)holes = (White)lock, dividing both sides by White yeilds:

holes = lock, as holes are absences of material they are negative

(- holes) = lock, subtracting one side from the other yeilds:

1 = lock - (- holes), a double negative is positive so:

1 = lock + holes, let 1 = "The Answer" and combine terms yeilding:

The Answer = lockholes

What does Mordor mean in English Question Smilie
Dark Land or Black Land.
I was looking for 'Black Land" so you get the Pretty Bauble Peredhil. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Bilbo spot on the far bank of the black stream Question Smilie
A small boat
Now, if only they could have kept Bombur from taking that bath.
Anyway, Amarië gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of beings were Finglas and Fladrif Question Smilie
They were Ents.
Correct Peredhil, a Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

The Orc who speared Frodo in Khazad-dűm was slain with which swordQuestion Smilie
Quote:
Um.....wasn't Frodo speared by a great cave troll which was then killed by Legolas' arrow???
Not in J.R.R.Tolkien's book. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
ANDURIL!!! The Flame Of The West!!!!
Elf Smilie
You got it Elfstone and a Pseudo-Silmaril to boot. Happy Elf Smilie

There were only three named blades in the that skirmish and we know it wasn't "Sting" which means it had to be either Glamdring, Foe Hammer weilded by Gandalf or Anduril, renamed and reforged from the shards of Narsil and now weilded by Aragorm.

Shelob's Lair was called what in Sindarin Question Smilie
The name of Shelob's Lair in Sindarin was Torech Ungol .

Yay! My 50th post. Exclamation Smilie
Arcormacolindóva has the right answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

'But our need is for aid in battle,' said Éomer. 'How will you and your folk help us?' To whom was Éomer speaking Question Smilie
Either Merry or Pippin. Pippin, I think.
You're wrong I'm afraid. It was Ghan-buri-Ghan he was talking to.
Really? I didn't know that.
Tommie was right, so she gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Niggle fall off his bicycle Question Smilie

[Edited on 9/8/2003 by Grondmaster]
Quote:
Really? I didn't know that.

Neither did I, Peredhil. Had to look it up as well. Tongue Smilie

By the way, nice avatar Grondy! Smile Smilie

Hrmm. Why did Niggle fall of his bicycle? lol I only know the name "Leaf by Niggle" so my guess is: because a leaf fell from a tree right on his head. lol I'm nuts, I know. Tongue Smilie
Close, but no cigar Tommie. Very Evil Smilie

Quote:
By the way, nice avatar Grondy!

Yes, I had been looking for my little Dwarf friend since we started having the custom avatars and I finally found the right box last week.
Okay, as there currently aren't any posting members who have read Tolkien's Leaf by Niggle, I will give you another one to mull over.

Can you name the chapter as well as its book, which begins with the following words Question Smilie
Quote:
Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur.
That would be from Of The Rings Of Power And The Thrid Age, the last part in The Silmarillion.
Tongue Smilie
Correct Elfstone, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Sam cast into the air at the Three Farthing Stone Question Smilie
The remainder of the dust from Galadriel's gift.
Correct Arcormacolindóva, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

How many Black Riders did Frodo espy from the summit of WeathertopQuestion Smilie
This is a total guess: I think 5? There were 3 / 5 Nazgűl @ Amon Sűl (I can't remember), but I don't know if Frodo even saw all of them. So, my guess is: 5
Quote:
Siddenly he was aware that two black specks were moving slowly along it going westward; and looking again he saw that three others were creeping eastward to meet them. He gave a cry and clutched Strider's arm. - from 'A Knife in the Dark' Chapter XI, Book 1, FotR.
So Arcormacolindóva's 5 gets him the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Of what was the Tower of Orthanc made. Question Smilie
Did it actually say this somewhere? I've never seen that. It's just...some hard, black unyielding material that the Numenóreans had, like obsidian or something. But it wasn't obsidian, bcuz that would be 2 fragile.
My answer: no clue, but I'd love 2 find out
This is the best I can come up with (which, I'll admit, is not very good...):

From the Sil:
Quote:
Quote:
...in the circle of Agrenost, which Men called Isengard, they made the pinnacle of Orthanc of unbreakable stone.

'Isengard' means iron enclosure, so maybe it's all made of iron, but that doesn't seem likely. (It'd get kind of rusty, wouldn't it?) And I think Orthanc was built differently from Isengard anyhow. What's an unbreakable stone? Have we got any geologists around here who knew their stuff?
"Unbreakable stone" is the answer or which I was looking, so Chikakat gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The above Simarillion source is the best I have been able to come up with. Merry and Pippin's conversation with the three hunters in TTT gives an example of its unbreakability, but doesn't say of what it is actually made. It is possible that one of the HOME books has more info on the construction of the Numenorian Towers, but as I haven't read them, I can not say.

I suppose it the base of the Tower of Orthanc could be the core of an extinct volcano where the stone and earth have erroded away, leaving a free standing column or plug of solidified metal. However, I have always felt it was a special form of tempered black obsidian that wouldn't chip and was too slippery for the Ents to glomb-a-hold.

Who made the least obvious target at the Battle of Five Armies, and whyQuestion Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>