Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Another hint: In Beleriand.
It's got to be Gondolin. There weren't any real "kingdoms" left after that except for the remaining sons of Feanor, Gil-Galad, and Galadriel/Celeborn.
Gondolin is correct Uruk_slayer; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who is this Question Smilie
Quote:
'For the arising of ........ was terrible, as a mounting wave that strides to the land, with dark helm foam-crested and raiment of mail shimering from silver down unto shadows of green.'
Of course it is my good friend UlmoWink Smilie
Ulmo it is Aul, you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Bilbo for pork-pie and saladQuestion Smilie
Bombur it was Ringfacwen; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Gollum's last wail as he fell into the abyss Question Smilie
Precioussssss?
Well the way Tolkien wrote it, it was:
Quote:
Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone.
So even though you, like PJ, have added something to Tolkien's, I'll give you the Pseudo-Silmaril.

The BBC radio version of Gollum's words as I remember is "Preciouuuuuuus." I wonder how PJ will cover it in LotR: RotK?

What disaster befell Gondor in TA 1636-7 Question Smilie
Quote:
So even though you, like PJ, have added something to Tolkien's, I'll give you the Pseudo-Silmaril.

I did not approve of being compared with PJ Grondy....I resent that...

But the answer is the Great Plague!
That's the right answer Aul, another Pseudo-Silmaril for your collection. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
I did not approve of being compared with PJ Grondy....I resent that...
You aren't required to wear shoes of the wrong size. Orc Grinning Smilie

How did Boromir vainly try to summon help before he was killed Question Smilie
By blowing the Horn of Gondor.
Toot! Toot! Peredhil gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What river flowed down to the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Waving Hello Smilie

Ermm. That would be the river Lhn or also called Lune by the Hobbits.
Aye, that it is. Another Pseudo-Silmaril to Tommie. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Quickbeam's Elvish name Question Smilie
That would be Bregalad, right?
Kerrect as always Gnampie, the Pseudo-Silmaril is yours. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the odd man out: 'No Stone Unturned', 'Roast Mutton', 'On the Doorstep', 'Flies and Spiders', 'A Short Rest' Question Smilie
Still no takers eh? Well since Ive been busy with other things the last few days, this seems like a good place for me to get back into the action. The odd ball here is No Stone Unturned the rest of those are all chapter titles from The Hobbit.
Elf Winking Smilie
Elfstone gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The Lord of the Rings is properly divided into how many books Question Smilie
6 me ol' friend!
Aul gets another Pseudo-Silmaril for his correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who built Durthang and why Question Smilie
Durthang was built by Gondor to monitor Mordor and guard the entrance to Udn.
Arcormacolindva has the right answer and a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the last vision that Frodo saw in the Mirror of Galadriel Question Smilie
Was it Bagshot Row in ruins?
No, I believe that was Sam's vision.

Nice avatar, Peredhil. Happy Elf Smilie

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by Grondmaster]
Wasen't it an eye?(a wild guess)
yup, the Eye searching for the ring.... then something about the ring becoming heavy and the mirror growing hot from memory.....

(Page 42!)
Yes, the searching Eye of Sauron; LadyFeawen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

To what office had Robin Smallburrow been appointed under the ChiefQuestion Smilie
Shiriff, I think. If he was the Hobbit at the end of RotK.
Yeah one of those hobbits with a feather in their hat.....who kept the peace...but I have no idea if it was shiriff or some other wordTongue Smilie
A Shirriff is the correct spelling Big Smile Smilie
You are all right, but Arcormacolindva gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Before Sharkey and the Chief took over, the shirriffs were the Shire's constabulary of which the Mayor was the leader. There were three shirriffs for each each farthing who were more like haywards than policemen in that they kept any stray cows from wandering around eating the flowers of the Old Mother Proudfoots and such things. Then there were a bunch of shirriffs who were the bounders who beat the bounds and kept outsiders large and small from getting in or causing trouble. Instead of uniforms, each shirriff wore a feather in his hat as their tolken of office, the leader of a group of them wore two feathers. - Tolkien's original text, of which this is but a paraphrase, can be found in Section 3 of the Prologue to the LotR.

Who said: 'Lovely titles! But lucky numbers don't always come off.' Question Smilie

Cow Sleeping Smilie We are having a blustery day and the power failed while I was composing this so I had to redo it. Jumping Flame Smilie
SmaugI believe.
Smaug is correct, Lady Feawen gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Gandalf to lay aside his staff Question Smilie
Wasnt it Gamling or Hma? When they were let inside the Golden Hall of Meduseld or whatever it was...
Yes, it was Hama, who disobeyed Theoden's command and later payed for it with his life at Helm's Deep. He was commanded to accompany Theoden on his ride to the Fords of Isen because he had lost his office as Doorward to the Citadel at Edoras and was one of the named casulties at the Battle of Helm's Deep. Aul gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What colour was Dragon-blood Question Smilie
Purple? Big Smile Smilie
Sad Smilie Sorry, but no.
I guessing green
Nope, try again. Happy Elf Smilie
But of course it was BLACK as their hearts.....darn serpents!
Yes it is/was black, so Aul gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who gave Vilya to Elrond Question Smilie
Ereinion Gil-galad?
I didnt know that Ereinion had the ring before Elrond?
I thought that Celebrimbor gave it to Elrond directly.....well....maybe I stand incorrect....
It was Gil-galad, so Arcormacolindva gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which King under the Mountain fell with King Brand of Dale in the War of the Ring Question Smilie

The Unfinished Tales: The History of Galadriel and Celeborn

Quote:
"Sauron himself departed from Eregion about the year 1500, after the Mrdain had begun the making of the Rings of Power. Now Celebrimbor was not corrupted in heart or faith, but had accepted Sauron as what he posed to be; and when at length he discovered the existence of the One Ring he revolted against Sauron, and went to Lrinand to take counsel once more with Galadriel....

Celebrimbor followed her counsel that the Ring of Air and the Ring of Fire should be sent out of Eregion; and he entrusted them to Gil-galad in Lindon ...

the first White Council was held, and it was there determined that an Elvish stronghold in the east of Eriador should be maintained at Imladris rather than in Eregion. At that time also Gil-galad gave Vilya, the Blue Ring, to Elrond, and appointed him to be his vice-regent in Eriador..."

Note: this White Council refers to a meeting before the end of the Second Age; the Council in the Third Age may have been named after it since certainly many of the members were the same.
Mae govannen!

Hmmm ... let me see ... Could u, by any chance, be talking about Dain II Ironfoot (2767-3019 TA), King under the Mountain between 2941 and 3019? Big Smile Smilie

Namarie!
Quite possibly, so Bugyfeanor gets the Pretty Bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who tried to cremate Faramir while he still lived Question Smilie
Yeah, a definite Denethor for this one!!! (u have to excuse the man, he went crazy there!)

Namarie!
Keerect Bugyfeanor, you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which Vala seldom clothed himself in a body Question Smilie
Yeah, I'd give u an Ulmo for that!

Namarie!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>