Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Moahahahaaaahaheee! Very Big Grin Smilie If you were about to say that you will have to do like me: abandon all normal live and sit glued to the computer incessantly pressing "refresh" 24/7, feeding of a brew of double-destilled high coffein coffee and green cheese!

I only got one too.
Quote:
I only got one too.
Elk Grinning Smilie But now GrevBukMcJern has two and he should please remember to wait 24 hrs after I've posted this next one before attempting to answer it. Happy Elf Smilie

Who left a whip weal in Frodo's side Question Smilie
It was the Orc, the Orc, the Snaga at the top of the tower of Cirith Ungol! He got annoyed when Frodo started singing (or trying to) in answer to Sam's song.
Yeah, but there were two Orcs in particular, they both had names and one of them used the whip on Frodo. I give up though, can't remember the names and haven't got my books here. Cool Smilie
Those two orcs were Grishnakh and Shagrat. I don't know which one used the whip on Frodo though.
Loni gets another Pseudo-Silmaril for "Snaga" which ordinarily is the generic name applied to any of the smaller orc foot soldiers. However, in this case it is the name he was called by Shagrat, just before Shagrat killed Gorbag and ran away from the great elf-warrior Samwise. Snaga ran back into the tower and later when he heard Sam's song, which he thought Frodo had sung, applied his whip to Frodo towards shutting him up, when suddenly he felt Sam's ire and in his haste to get away, tripped through the tower's open trapdoor falling to his death. Moral of the story: Don't be a critical of other peoples singing less it lead to your own downfall. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

And Grishnákh actually met his downfall a couple books earlier at the hands of, or rather, the spears of the Rohirrim.

What was special about the diamond studs that Gandalf gave the Old Took Question Smilie
The studs fastened and unfastened on command? Smile Smilie
They were magical.
Well, I think they would be to have to do that! Wink Smilie
That´s why I know my answer is right. I think it´s the first time I get it correctly. I win a Pseudo-Cyrconia.
Wouldn't count on it, Fea got the right answer. Wink Smilie
Yup, LadyFea gets the pretty bauble, so just keep trying Azadhel. Happy Elf Smilie

How many corners did Bilbo's front door have Question Smilie
Bilbo was a proper little hobbit! Zero, off course! Big Smile Smilie

(The 24hours has passed now, right? ) Wink Smilie
O' to be sure. GrevBukMcJern gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In September 1900, Ronald Tolkien gained entry into what school Question Smilie
King Edward's Grammar School
24 whole hours and I didn´t answer that one!
Schedules suck!
So Angry Smilie
Ar-edain37 gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Azadhel: I assume it is your schedule you were referring to, for the 24 hour rule only applies when you correctly answered the last question. Elf Confused Smilie

Who was hung by his right wrist from the face of Thangorodrim Question Smilie Note: It wasn't Prometheus. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Maedhros? Angel Smilie
Hurin? Elf Confused Smilie
Hurin. For sure.

(my schedule, of course)
I had thought it was Húrin, but when I looked it up, it turned out to be Maedhros as I've quoted below. So Ladyfea gets the Pseudo-Silmaril this time. Happy Elf Smilie

Quote:
Therefore Morgoth took Maedhros and hung him from the face of a precipice upon Thangorodrim, and he was caught to the rock by the wrist of his right hand in a band of steel. - from the fourth page of 'Of the Return of the Noldor' Chapter 13 of The Silmarillion.

Who dropped a stone into a well in the Mines of Moria Question Smilie
Fool of a Took?
Peregrin, son of Paladin, of the House of Took. Cool Smilie
Loni has the full answer, but Vee's got the jist of the answer first, so I'm giving her the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose purse could talk Question Smilie
Wasn't it one of the trolls' purse? Bilbo tried to pick mr Trolls pocket which was not a good ide. Ahh Williams pocket it was!
Yup, it was old stonehead William Huggins. Amarië gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which Vala came last to Arda, and what did he delight in Question Smilie
It was Tulkas. He delights in wrestling and contests of strength. He has no horse, instead he runs himself.
You got it Loni, and the pretty bauble. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

What happened when Sam tied the Elven rope around Gollum's ankle Question Smilie
The rope burnt him. Elivish thingses are painful!
I'll give the Pseudo-Silmaril to GrevBukMcJern; what Tolkien wrote was
Quote:
Gollum began to scream, a thin, tearing sound, very horrible to hear. He writhed, and tried to get his mouth to his ankle and bite the rope. He kept on screaming. .....

'It hurts us, it hurts us,' hissed Gollum. 'It freezes, it bites! Elves twisted it, curse them! Nasty cruel hobbits! That's why we tries to escape, of course it is, precious. We guessed they were cruel hobbits. They visits Elves, fierce Elves with their bright eyes. Take it off us! It hurts us.'

After he returned to Bag End, what did Bilbo chiefly use the Ring for Question Smilie
To avoid people he didn't want to speak to when he met them on the road and such. He saw them coming, put on the ring and no Bilbo to be seen. Clever little fellow!
Keeereckt Amarië, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What device did Gorbag's orcs bear on their shields Question Smilie
I only know they are the Orcs of Minas Morgul, but I don't have my books here so I can't look anything up. Sad Smilie
Hint: The answer can be found in the first chapter of Book 6.
wasnt it a tower and a moon
It was the moon, but disfigured to look like a 'ghastly face of Death', i.e. a skull.
Yes Arco has it right and a pretty bauble to boot. Happy Elf Smilie

The symbol of Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Moon, was the Moon; however, when the Nazgûl took over the tower's management, it became corrupt Minas Morgul, and they also corrupted its symbol so that the man in the moon now looked like a death's head, a ghastly skull.

In what city was the Rath Dinen Question Smilie
oh yay!
it was where the gondorian kings were buried in minas tirith
what does the name mean in sindarin?
Don't know about sindarin, but in (misspelled) german it would be "serve (the) Council". Coincident? Tongue Smilie
Elfwine has the right answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

As for what 'Rath Dinen' means in Sindarin, Tolkien's text says 'Silent Street' but that probably is from the Numenorean rather than the Sindarin. I think 'Silent Street' is a good name for a street of the dead, for one certainly wouldn't want them to be noisy neighbors. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Which one of these is an only child: Goldilocks Gamgee, Dior, Galadriel, Isildur, Faramir Question Smilie
galadriel
I believe that would have to be Dior, also called Aranel or Eluchil ("Thingol's Heir"), only child of Beren and Luthien, and also later the father of Elwing (mother of Elrond and Elros).
Teacher Smilie
Correct Elfstone, a pretty bauble for you. Happy Elf Smilie

Galadriel had siblings named: Finrod Felagund, Orodreth, Angrod, and Aegnor. Anárion was Isildur's brother and Boromir was Faramir's brother. Goldilocks had five sisters and seven brothers. So Dior was the little piggie who had none. The source for these are The Silmarillion and the Appendicies at the end of RotK.

What tasted like dust and ashes to Gollum Question Smilie
Lembas, the elf bread of the..... uh...... elves? I mean, the Galadhrim! Oh great, this means I have three pretty pseudo-baubles! Oh yes! I win! Haha! I win! Smiles on you!

(Grondy was here!)
Yes, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril Loni. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Celegorm Question Smilie
Celegorm was one of the many sons of Feanor. (Featured in the Silmarillion) He often worked with his brother, Curufin and owned the famous wolfhound, Huan. Celegorm was slain when he assaulted the Elf city of Doriath in an attempt to regain the Simarils by the king of Doriath at the time, Dior.
Well done Celebistar, you get a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to Aragorn when he served Ecthelion II Question Smilie
That would be Thorongil.
Correct Tommie, a Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Quote:
'Thorongil men called him in Gondor, the Eagle of the Star, for he was swift and keen-eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak; but no one knew his true name nor in what land he was born. He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served the King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. - from LotR, Appendix A, near the end of Section (iv).

Where was the Last Homely House Question Smilie
Rivendell,"if i could decide my fate i be wondering in the fair valley of Rivendell,"
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>