Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Smaug the Golden.
Keerck Gothmog, you got it and a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What became of the single fruits that Telperion and Laurelin bore before they died Question Smilie
They were turned into Silmarils. Cool Smilie May I pleease have a pretty bauble now?? Everyone has one except me! *pouts* Orc Sad Smilie
Sorry Nilly. Telperions fruit became the moon and Laurelins became the sun.
Yes, the Silmarills were made by Fanor, remember Tongue Smilie
Gosh darn it!!! Think, think, think Nil!!!!!! Argghhhh...fine then, I'll get a pretty bauble, though, you'll see. Wink Smilie C'mon, Grondy, another question, pleeeease. (How many pseudo-silmarils do you own, Ama?! Very Mad Smilie )
Yes, Amari gets the pretty bauble this time. Happy Elf Smilie

What was most dangerous about the wound inflicted on Frodo by the Nazgl Lord Question Smilie
A bit of the knife was still in Frodo, heading toward his heart, and if it succeeded, he would become a servant to their will?
Yes Loni, you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the names of the three Trolls found by Bilbo and his companions Happy Elf Smilie
Hughey Dughey and Louie (or however you wish to spell them)
Bert, Tom, and William??
I may not have beat you to the question, Hobbit-Home05, but I have FIVE pseudo-Silmarils! Haha! Oh yes! I have a beautiful necklace of pseudo-Silmarils!
well good for you Loni!!!

but you bettter watch your back!! just kidding!!
HobbitHomie05 has another pretty bauble for her correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What news did Legolas bring to the Council of Elrond Question Smilie
Gollum escaped.
I was going to say that. Oh well, that's only one pseudo-Silmaril you've got. I've got five.
Oh cut it out!!! Just Kidding!! I'm catching up though!! I have two and a wide range of LotR knowledge and good researching skills!! So there!!

this is playful rivalry right??
Lungorthin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Greenway formerly known as Question Smilie
I know this one but I'll give a couple hours so other people can have a chance!
The Kings Road ?
l thought that it was the remnant of the old North-South Road, that ran from Gondor in the south to Arnor in the north.

Quote:
Greenway- It was the name given to the North Road in the latest part of the Third Age, when it was frequently not in use.

The Complete Guide to Middle Earth Robert Frost

Do I get the jewel to add to my collection? I waited a good 12 hours!!??

Well I suppose Gildor should get it because that is like the same thing right?
I'll give the pretty bauble to Gildor; however HobbitHomie05's answer is techically more correct. Happy Elf Smilie

The Greenway was the Old North Road that ran from Deadman's Dike (Fornost) thru Bree and on down to Tharbad on the River Gwatho (Greyflood). Whereas, at the time of the War of the Rings, the road from Tharbad to The Ford of Isen was still known as the Old South Road and the road from that ford to Minas Tirith was still known as the Great West Road.

The Great East Road ran from the Grey Havens thru The Shire and Bree and continued on to Rivendell. And actually the Old Forest Road was inline with the Great East Road, but the section over the Misty Mountains was never built, I assume due to the loss of trade caused by Orc Wars and the waning of the Kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor.
Teacher Smilie

Ondolind was the original name of which city Question Smilie
Gondolin
That is correct!!! Man you beat me to it!! That's okay there a plenty of pretty shiny, oh so shiny baubles to go around!!
Yup, Lungorthin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to Anglachel when it was reforged Question Smilie
It was forged (again) in Nargothrond (where else...??) for Trin Turambar and called Gurthang.
Perwing gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who is described below:
Quote:
His beard, very long and forked, was white, nearly as white as the snow-white cloth of his garments. He wore a silver belt, and around his neck hung a chain of silver and diamonds.
I'm going to say Gandalf the White?

is it a rule that you can only guess once? just a question.
My guess is Gloin and the description is from Frodo's first meeting with him at Rivendell.
Quote:
Is it a rule that you can only guess once?
Well yes, once per day; however, if no one has got it right within 24 hours after your first guess, you may take another try at it.

Uruk_slayer has the right person and the occasion as well as the Pseudo-Silmaril, for the description is from 'The Council of Elrond' in FotR.

Can you name the three Houses of the Edain Question Smilie
The House of Beor, The Haladin, and The Hador.
Well, the Encyclopedia of Arda says "Haleth" instead of "Haladin", but I assume it's the same thing. I'm quite sure it is actually. Animated Wink Smilie

Very Sad Smilie Too late again, for like the umpteenth time. Very Sad Smilie
Yes, Stonehelm gets the Pseudo-silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The Halidin were the second people of Men to enter Beleriand; they were later called the People of Haleth after Lady Haleth, one of their early leaders. Therefore, the People of Haleth and the People of the Haladin are synonymous.

What were three signs appearing at the entrance to Bag End during Bilbo's ownership Question Smilie
"I'm not buying anything!"

"Get lost!" I

"If you can read this, you are too close!" Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Very Big Grin Smilie

Well, one is for sure "No admittance except on party business".
The other might be "For sale". Very Big Grin Smilie
And I have no clue as to a third. I'm going to slap myself in the face when I hear what it actually is, but right now I'm in the dark.
There was the mark that Gandalf put on it so the Dwarves knew where to go, there was the sign that told that Bilbo's things were being sold the day he returned to Hobbiton, and there was the "No admittance except on party business" sign.
Everyone had some pretty good guesses except Stonehelm, who had all three of the correct answers, or at least the ones I was looking for. Elk Grinning Smilie So he gets the pretty bauble and Tommie gets one Do-It-Yourself Swift Kick Kit for her partial effort, this she can either use or return to sender the next time I make another mistake: probably sometime later today if not sooner. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who or what did Legolas shoot out of the sky from the bank of the Anduin Question Smilie
The Nazgul out fo the sky. He actually shot the steed of the nazgul. The sixth pseudo-Silmairl is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay Loni, it's yours. Happy Elf Smilie

At what battle was the army of the Witch-king annihilated Question Smilie
I waited twentyfour hours. Yes, I did. So can I answer this question? I hope so, because I'm answering it anyway.

The Battle fo the Pelennor Fields.

But Grondy, can you do harder ones now? Because they were really ahrd at the start and now they're really easy. Do I get my seventh pseudo-Silmaril? Because I heard the rules were wait twentyfour hours.
Well you are supposed to wait 24 hours after I post the question, but had you had the correct answer I would have given it to you just because I'm not really mean. Happy Elf Smilie

Anyway, the leader at the Battle of Pelennor Field went by his more modern name of the Lord of the Nazgl, as he was now more powerful than when he was just the Witch-king of Angmar. The battle I am looking for occurred before the Witch-king gathered the Nazgl in Mordor. So you have to go back to earlier times. Hint: The answer can be found in Appendix B. (If this year was in the Third Age, it would have happened 29 years ago).

So ... this question wasn't all that easy, was it. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
l was thinking of the defeat of Sauron at the end of the Second Age, The Battle of Dagorlad..... Am l right?
Yeah, the question was about the Witch-king's army. The battle was probably Carn Dum against Earnur and Glorfindel's forces in TA 1973.
I'll give it to Uruk_slayer as he has the major characters, but the year was 1975 and it was called the 'Battle of Fornost'.
Quote:
Then so utterly was Angmar defeated that not a man nor an orc of that realm remained west of the Mountains.
It was at this time that Glorfindel made his prophesy to Ernur, Captain of Gondor, as the Witch-king rode off into the shadows after the battle.
Quote:
"Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."
The quotes came from Appendix A of RorK (pg 363 of movie cover edition.)

Over what precipice was El cast Question Smilie
Caragdur?
Caragdr

Oh beaten again Smile Smilie
HobbitHomie05 had the answer first, so gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Merry's mother Question Smilie

And no, Mother Brandibuck won't cut it. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Esmeralda Took.
Quote:
Well you are supposed to wait 24 hours after I post the question,

But I did!

Seventh pseudo-Silmaril in the bag!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>