Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Maybe he was "colour blind" and imagined his colours in his works?

*shrugs*

just an idea. I think Sevrinn is right, so i have nothing further to add

'cept Tigger Smilie
Yes, Sevrinn has it and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

Ursula LeGuin wrote a few of her books without color and the descriptions were so drab that I couldn't finish them, so I appreciate a little color when I'm reading.

Whose words had turned King Theoden into a wizened old man Question Smilie
Why Grima Wormtongue of course !!!!!
Ah man if only I had gotton here sooner!! ha! Anyways, continue!
171 pages and the questions are still as easy as the first page. Come on guys show us the goodies!
Etharion had the correct answer and now has the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Sorry I haven't been around to update this thread, but my doctor wanted to straighten my left foot . This is my first day back and I'm still in a cast and feeling some pain, but at least I no longer need spend all day in bed with my foot elevated.

Why was N˙menor remembered as Mar-nu-Falmar Question Smilie
Mar-nu-Falmar ---> Home under the waves. After sailing openly against Valar, trusting the words of Sauron, Ar-Pharaz˘n the Golden and his whole army was swallowed by the water. But they were not the only victims of the wrath of the Valar. The land of Numenor was destroyed by the water as well. So once the beautiful and rich island of the Earth was now the Home under the waves.
Vampyr gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What were collected in the Wells of Varda Question Smilie
Varda collected the dews of the Two trees in her wells, after the trees were destroyed by Ungoliant and Morgoth.
Yes Ashkael, the dews of the two trees were collected in the Wells of Varda; however, this was done before Ungoliant attacked the trees. She sucked both them and the wells dry. It was a 'Bad Day in Black Rock', all that could be salvaged were one flower and one fruitm, from which the sun and moon were made. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie As you're new I'll repeat my rule of courtesy: When you get an answer right, please wait 24 hours after I post the next question, prior to answering it; this way others can have a chance at it.

Which famous hobbit compiled the 'Herblore of the Shire', the 'Reckoning of Years', and the treatise 'Old Words and Names in the Shire' Question Smilie
That would be someone called Meriadoc Brandybuck. Big Smile Smilie
That it would Peredhil, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Bilbo's maternal grandfather Question Smilie

Mungo 1207-1300
Sad Smilie Nope, Mungo was Bilbo's paternal grandfather; you need to look at the otherside of the family. Happy Elf Smilie

Try again. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Gerontius, the Old Took, was Bilbo's maternal grandfather.
Correct Samwisegamgee, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What number was Denethor II in the line of the Stewards of Gondor Question Smilie

The answer can be found in Appendix A of LotR.
Number Twenty-Six.
26 is correct Stonehelm, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name six inns or taverns found in the Shire Question Smilie
The green dragon and the prancing pony are two of them. Deal Smilie
Yep, only four to go. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

One of them is in Frogmorton and another is in Stock. Happy Elf Smilie
Floating Log, Ivy Bush, Golden Perch..........

Do I get 1/2 a bauble?
The Forsaken Inn
The Prancing Pony
The Green Dragon
The Floating Log
The Ivy Bush
The Golden Perch

Am I right? Elf Confused Smilie
The Bridge Inn
The Floating Log
The Golden Perch
The Green Dragon
The Ivy Bush
The Prancing Pony (although it technically wasn't in the Shire)
Okay, everyone that tried to answer this one gets a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The problem with the question is there are only five in the Shire, the other two listed in LotR are outside the Shire and I was sloppy with my homework. Shaking Head Smilie

The Bridge Inn at the Brandywine Bridge
The Floating Log at Frogmorton
The Golden Perch at Stock
The Green Dragon at Bywater
The Ivy Bush on the Bywater Road
The Prancing Pony at Bree
The Forsaken Inn a day's journey east of Bree

Who played on a golden harp at the Unexpected Party Question Smilie
Thorin, king under the mountain!

And with bauble for the inns question, I have NINE!!!!!!!!!!!!! NINE PSEUDO-SILMARILS!!!! Oh, yeah!

*strings the eighth on her pseudo-necklace and has her hand outstretched for the ninth!

Big Smile Smilie Cool Smilie Birthday Smile Smilie Pary Smilie Christmas Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie I Super Wow Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Happy Elf Smilie Na-na-na-na-na Smilie Smiling Santa Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie
Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie Wiggle Smilie
Indeed Loni now has her ninth shiny-shiny to add to her string of pretty baubles. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Whose lullaby, said Bilbo, 'would waken a drunken goblin' Question Smilie
The elves' at Rivendell?
Right you are Frodo_baggins, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said, 'You miserable hobbit! You undersized - burglar!' Question Smilie
Thorin?
WAAAAA!!!! You took my chance!

And btw, for all of you who are wondering, I have finished attaching my ninth shinyshiny on my nineshinyshiny necklace! Smile Smilie Wiggle Smilie Smile Smilie Wiggle Smilie
Stonehelm gets the Pseudo-Silmaril this time for his correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What river flowed from the Dimrill Dale through Lˇrien to the River Anduin Question Smilie
the river Silverlode(took me a while to translate that)

And if im right Grondy , how much Pseudos do i have. I have no idea.
*giggles* I think Grondy decided to stop counting after I had won soo many that it boggled his mind to keep score anymore...Or am I wrong? Wink Smilie Elf Smilie
Etharion has the right answer and another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Quote:
And if im right Grondy , how much Pseudos do i have. I have no idea.
Quote:
*giggles* I think Grondy decided to stop counting after I had won soo many that it boggled his mind to keep score anymore...Or am I wrong?

What you expect me to waste my time building a data base or spreadsheet keeping track of how many jewels I've awarded to whom? There are only 174 pages with 1815 posts to wade through looking for them. The only reason I know how many Loni has, is because she keeps reminding us. Elf Winking Smilie You want to know, you do the looking. Thank you very much, but I have a life. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What was the Nauglamir, and who did the Dwarves make it for Question Smilie
In the first age of the sun, the Nauglamir was made for King Finrod Felagund.

and it was a collar mad out of beautiful stones and pearls, is it not? Wink Smilie
Okay, THINGOL77 gets credit for what it was and Frodo_baggins for he whom it was made. They can share the Pseudo-Silmaril, for I don't want multiple bauble handouts to become standard practice. Happy Elf Smilie

Per the index of The Silmarillion
Quote:
Nauglamir: 'The Necklace of the Dwarves', made for Finrod Felagund by the Dwarves, brought by H˙rin out of Nargothrond to Thingol, and the cause of his death.
Also from 'Of the Return of the Noldor' in the same book:
Quote:
... the Nauglamir, the Necklace of the Dwarves, most renowned of their works in the Elder Days. It was a carcanet of gold, and set therein were gems uncounted from Valinor; but it had a power within it so that it rested lightly on its wearer as a strand of flax, and whatsoever neck it clasped it sat always with grace and loveliness.
Finrod Felagund, as you remember, was the oldest brother of Galadriel.

And carcanet: "an ornamental collar, band, or necklace, usually of gold and often jeweled." (I had to look it up.) Teacher Smilie

Can you name the large expanse of water in Southern Mordor Question Smilie
I belive it is called The Sea of Nurnen.

it was also the location of the fields were the majority of Mordors food was grown.(i just felt like typing something)
Correct Frodo_baggins, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What false name did Frodo adopt when he set out for Rivendell Question Smilie

( I apologize for not keeping up with this thread daily, I've had a slight set back with my foot surgery: one of the three incisions isn't healing correctly and the antibiotic is making me not want to spend much time at the computer. Sorry.)
Underhill.

Sorry to hear about your foot Grondy. Hope it gets a lot better soon! *hugs*
Tommie has the answer, the Pseudo-Silmaril, and my thanks. Happy Elf Smilie

Who carried Herugrim Question Smilie
Theoden king of Rohan
Correct Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were Gandalf's last words to Sam, Merry, and Pippin at the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Quote : 'Yes,' said Gandalf; 'for it will be better to ride back three together 'than one alone. Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.'
Virumor has the answer and gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What wall encircled the Pelennor Fields Question Smilie
Rammas Echor.
Virumor has the correct answer, but he violated our 24 hour rule, so in addition to the Pseudo-Silmaril he gets 20 lashes with the wet orc tongue. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Quote:
This rule has been instigated as a courtesy to the membership who live in different timezones: When you correctly answer the trivia question, please wait 24 hours after the next question is posted, before posting another answer so the other members can get a crack at a question too. Thanks Happy Elf Smilie
I'll add this quote to the first post toward lessening the frequency of its violation. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

On which mountain and in which tower, were the halls of ManwŰ and Varda Question Smilie
OiolossŰ, on Taniquetil.
Sounds good to me Peredhil, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

By what other name was the Lord of the Waters known Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>