Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Denethor held the Palantir of Minas Tirith. Or at least I think he did. Yes, he did.
You got it Lenwe, and the Pseudo-Silmaril too. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said, "I could eat anything in the whole wide world now, for hours on end—but not an apple!" Question Smilie
I have a feeling I am wrong, but is it Mr. Bilbo Baggins?
It was Fili the dwarf! He who had to float down the river in a barrel smelling of apples. Smile Smilie
Thank you Amarie! I couldn't remember if it was one of the dwarves or Bilbo...one thing knocks out another up there in the old brain...no Pseudo-Silmaril for me. Amarie takes the cake!
Quote:
Amarie takes the cake!
Naw, she just gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie Besides, its too hot in my apartment to bake a cake, and if I did bake one I'd eat it myself. Now do I want a dark chocolate one with matching frosting or a yellow one with vanilla frosting? (That's a rhetorical question: answer it at your peril.) Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who did 'Merry marry quite contrary' to some wag's belief. Question Smilie
Estella Bolger?
HobbitHomie05 has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What color was Orc skin Question Smilie
I think it's from dark brown to pale green.

I'll take that as a correct answer even though I was looking for black, because they were also described as sallow which is a sickly dark yellow that is somewhere between green and brown. So Frodo_baggins gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the likely origin of Saruman's nickname 'Sharkey' Question Smilie

The (Finnish/Norse?)word 'sharku'...I am confused about the origin of the word, as well as the meaning...memory never serves as well as forgetfulness...I am sorry for the mediocre attempt.
It's from the Orkish word: sharkû, which is said to mean, 'old man'.

Sorry Laurelindhe ilmarin, you made a good start but didn't quite make it over the finish line. Had you kept your book handy, like Gildor inglorion, you could have found the whole answer given in a footnote to the story, where Sarumen is introducing himself and bragging about the nastiness he has caused in the Shire, this while the hobbits were taking their shortcut home via Rivendell. This time Gildor inglorion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who sang the line: "When light is on the wild-wood stream, and wind is on the brow; ..." Question Smilie

Can you add the words to the stanza's last line Question Smilie
It's the song Treebeard sings about the Entwives:

When light is on the wild-wood stream, and
wind is on the brow

When stride is long and breath is deep, and
keen the mountain-air... Cool Elf Smilie
Correct Frodo_baggins the Pseudo-Silmaril is yours. Happy Elf Smilie

and the stanza concludes with:
Quote:
'Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is fair!'
Sad that Treebeard is resolved to walk in his forest filled with melancholy and hoping against hope that what he knows in his heart isn't true.

Still, I do hope that someday, he will look up and see his fair Entwife come striding over the hill with love in her eyes and warmth in her heart, and together they can once again sing that final verse:
Quote:
Together we will take the road that leads into the West,
And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest.'

What was the tallest of the White Towers Question Smilie
Treebeard's pain over the Entwives is so heartbreaking! His unrequited love burns ever on...

Can I take a shot at this? I believe the answer is most likely the Tower called Minas Tirith in Sirion(Beleriand). That is my first inkling, but my gut is telling me that it is actually in the other Minas Tirith(Gondor), the Tower of Guard, or the White Tower. Hopefully I am not off completely! I stand by my first answer, however. Did I get it? Question Smilie
The Tower of Ecthelion.
No, none of these are correct. Orc Sad Smilie The White Towers were Elendil's towers to the West of the land that was later to be named the Shire. What I'm looking for is the name of the tallest of these, where one of the Palantir was placed.

The Tower of Ecthelion is the name of the highest tower in Minas Tirith, but that wasn't the question.
Oh, those towers. The answer is the Tower Elostirion, part of the three towers of Emyn Beraid, or Tower Hills, near to the Grey Havens. Did I nail it?
I believe it's the Amon Sûl, later known as Weathertop.
Laurelindhe ilmarin got it this time, so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In Farmer Giles of Ham, what was Sam the smith's predominant mood Question Smilie
Wasn't he always predicting something bad was going to happen, and it never did? And he was always gloomy. (Some idiot has lost the library's copy of Farmer GIels of Ham, and I haven't seen it in any bookshops)

PLEASE BE RIGHT SO I CAN HAVE MY ELEVENTH SHINYSHINY!!!!!!!
Even though Loni shouted, she has earned her eleventh Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said 'Lovely titles! But lucky numbers don't always come off.'
Smaug the Golden at Erebor

my third psuedo-silmaril please!
Okay Ar-edain37, here's your pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Elvenking wearing on his head when Bilbo first saw him Question Smilie
Was it a garland of leaves?
Yes Melian, it was a crown of red berries and leaves, which I have always figured was made from holly and the sharpness of the holly leaves is what made the Elfking so prickly. Of course that was before I met Legolas and discovered that was a better reason for Thranduil's bad attitude in The Hobbit. Anyway, Melian gets the pretty-bauble today. Happy Elf Smilie

Which host of the Eldar were called the Falmari, and what did it mean Question Smilie
They were the Teleri who went to Aman, but did not stay there. They finally made their home in Alqualondë. Also called the Sea-Elves.
I think it was the elves that went to Tol Erresa, and the Aqualonde. Also named "elves of the crested waves"
Well, I'm going to give two pretty baubles out this time: The first one to Tommie as she had the literal answer from the Silmarilion's Index and the second to Frodo_baggins as he had the translated answer from the Silmarillion's Appendix. Happy Elf Smilie

What made Sam so certain that Frodo had been killed by Shelob Question Smilie
He was pale and cold and clammy and wasn't breathing etc.
Daisy, I'' accept your answer for it corresponds to what Tolkien wrote in The Two Towers Book 4, Chapter Ten.
Quote:
He lay now pale, and heard no voice, and did not move. ... he ... laid his head upon Frodo's breast and to his mouth, but no stir of life could he find, nor feel the faintest flutter of the heart. ... his masters hands and feet , and touched his brow, but all were cold.
The author of a quiz book who shall remain nameless wrote, "He didn't react when Sam took the Ring from him." I doubt if a person in a coma or just unconscious would react were their bodies stripped of their jewelry, even if the if part of that jewelry was the One Ring. Anyway, Daisy gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The Mythopoeic Society was devoted to studying the works of which three authors Question Smilie
J. R. R. Tolkein, Charles Williams, and C. S. Lewis.

Yay! My 8th bauble! Orc Grinning Smilie
Frodo_baggins,as he says, gets the pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Pippin drop as a sign to any pursuers while he was a prisoner of the Orc-band Question Smilie
the leaf brooch from the cloak of Lorien.

fourth pretty blue bauble please.
Alright, Grondy, that was far too easy-gettin' rusty, are ya? Smile Smilie

Watch, now that I complained, he will make one too hard for Tolkien himself!
Ar-edain37 had the correct answer and thusly gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

I do try to keep a mix of softballs among the hardballs, but if Laurelindhe ilmarin wants a toughie: try this:

What is 'the chief power (of all the rings alike)' according to Tolkien in a 1951 letter he wrote to a person whose initials are M.W. Question Smilie

(I thought about asking for the nth word in the nth paragraph on the nth page of my first American edition of The Silmarillion, but I couldn't decide on the values for those three n's.) Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
Just guessing, seriously, but..... is it persuasion?

Cause you know, I thought kinda basic like fire, earth, etc.

But I reckon if the ring (s) have power then it must be the power of persuasion (my point of view is Right? Man.... or)
Hmmmm... for some reason I seem to think I have read about that somewhere. Probably mentioned loong time a go in one of the threads. Can't remember what I think I have read though.

Ah found it. I would have guessed creation, but now I see it is quite logical actually when you think about it. It is... Nah.. can't take the joy from all these people who get so excited by getting the shiny silmarills. There is just one thing though, news or reminder depending on how long you have been here:

Grondy posted waaaaaaay back on page 4:
Quote:
(Disclaimer: All Pseudo-Silmarils presented by at this site--at least those by yours truly--are imaginary; their physical substance is so non-existant that they can never be held.)

And on page 66 we are trying different ways of keeping them anyway. Wink Smilie Hehehe. Ahh the memories...
The nature and abilities of each of the Great Rings differed, but each shared two powers.

The first of these was the prolongation or 'stretching' of life - the bearer of a Great Ring did not age. This effect applied only to mortal bearers of the Rings; the Elves and Wizards were already 'immortal' by nature, and this power did not seem to affect them. This explains the peculiar longevity of Bilbo Baggins and especially Gollum (a creature of hobbit-kind, Gollum should have lived no more than 100 years or so, and yet under the influence of the One Ring, he survived for more than 500 years beneath the Misty Mountains).

The second power conferred by the Great Rings was that of invisibility. At first, this was a temporary effect, and occurred only when the bearer actually wore the ring. After a time, though, this invisibility would become permanent (hence the nine Ring-wraiths, though their Rings were held by Sauron, were always invisible).
Hmm... invisibilty... never thought about that. Don't agree on all but.. Might just create a thread on that when I get home. Found a longer quote than I did earlier.

Quote:
"The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. `change' viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance - this is more or less an Elvish motive. But also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor - thus approaching `magic', a motive easily corruptible into evil, a lust for domination. And finally they had other powers, more directly derived from Sauron...such as rendering invisible the material body, and making things of the invisible world visible." [The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien]
Well, I suppose you're right then Wink Smilie

But about Elrond's sons I am right Tongue Smilie
Well you weren't wrong exactly. Prolonging the wearers life is a way of slowing decay. But you are wrong about the twins! Very wrong!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Amarië has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie (They seem to sublimate quite soon out of their mould.) Sad Smilie The answer can also be found, where I found it, as the preface to the second edition of The Silmarillion and the letter was written to his editor, Milton Waldman.

Whose emblem was the single star on the West-door of Khazad-Dûm Question Smilie
Could it be the house of Finwe?
Close, but no cigar. Elk Grinning Smilie
The House of Fëanor.
Virumor has got it and another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What colour was Dragon-blood Question Smilie
I'm not sure about this but.... Black?
Another Pseudo-Silmaril to Gildor inglorion, for "black" it is. Happy Elf Smilie

After the Darkening of Valinor, where did the light of the Two Trees live on Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>