Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
In the sun and the moon (a fruit and a flower)
Sorry, those came from the two trees, but they didn't shine with any of the former radiance of the trees.
In the Sillmarills?
All the lightbulbs in the world.
Haha Ar-edain.
The wells under the two trees?

Stonehelm has it and a shiny, shiny too. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
And the inner fire of the Silmarils Fanor made of the blended light of the Trees of Valinor, which lives in them yet, though the Trees have long withered and shine no more. - First page, Chapter 7, The Silmarillion.
After Ungoliant at Melkors bidding, sucked to life from the Two Trees, the Valar requested Fanor to give up the three Silmarils that the light they held might be used to ressurrect the Two Trees. But Fanor said not only no, but Hell No!. And he picked up his ball and went home, but when he got there he found Melkor killed King Finw, Fanor's father and had stolen the shiny stones; thus started the longest vendetta in recorded history.

What Third Age Northern Kingdom was ruled by the Lord of the Nazgl Question Smilie
Angmar.
Laurelindhe ilmarin gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you list the Elvish names of the three Dwarf-mansions mentioned in the Elven historories Question Smilie
I am not completely sure, but I think the three Dwarf cities are Moria, Belegost, and Nogrod.
Ah yes. Those would be Belegost, Nogrod and Hadhothrond in elvish,sindarin i think.
Or in dwarven Gabilgathol, Tumunzahar and Khazad-Dum. Right?
Correct Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

As well as Etharion's answers, Mickleburg is another name of Belegost; Hollowbold for Nogrod; and Moria for Hadhodrond. Though the spelling of Hadhodrond looks Dwarvish to me.

Who was Elrond's daughter's mother Question Smilie
Celebran, the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn. .

Virumor gets another pretty bauble to add to his collection. Happy Elf Smilie

What river was called Kibil-nla in the Khuzdul Question Smilie
That would be the Silverlode. Right? Animated Wink Smilie
Right Tommie, you get another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Ondelind was the original name of which city Question Smilie
Gondolin
Correct Gildor inglorion, another pretty bauble to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Why was there a notch in Gimli's axe after the Battle of the Hornburg Question Smilie
Because the last orc he killed had an iron collar. Orc Sad Smilie
Daisy gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for her correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who is this Question Smilie
Quote:
'The face of ______ was ageless, neither old nor young, though in it was written the memory of many things both glad and sorrowful.'
Elrond

My fifth pseudo silmaril please O, Grondy the Great!
Nyahahaha! you may have five, and you may have beat me to the question, but I have THIRTEEN!!! And I have strung them all on a beautiful necklace. My thirteenshinyshiny necklace. It's so sparkly and shiny.
Loni, you have the memory of thirteen shinyshinies, they turn into nothing when they leave their makers hands. Besides, my imaginary Pseudo-Silmaril necklace is a lot prettier than your imaginary Pseudo-Silmaril necklace. Na-na-na-na-na Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Wink Smilie
You got it Ar-edain37, and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who wrote to his father, saying that The Hobbit was 'good and should appeal to all children between the ages of 5 and 9' Question Smilie
I believe that would be Rayner Unwin? Kind of an odd name, really...
Raynor Unwin.
Magician skip gets the pretty bauble because he got there a few minutes first. Happy Elf Smilie

Raynar Unwin, while still a child was hired by his father, Tolkien's future editor, to review children's books. The quote in the previous question was his review. I think maybe his assessment was correct.

What name was given to the land of Ard-galen after its desolation by Morgoth, and what did it mean in English Question Smilie
Angfauglith, the gasping dust?
Anfauglith ('Gasping Dust').
Well if I ignore the silent "g", Frodo_baggins has it right and Virumor was just correcting his spelling. So the pretty bauble goes to Frodo_ and an honorable mention to Virumor. Happy Elf Smilie

Why would Gimli have had a genealogical reason to hate the Watcher in the Water Question Smilie
It killed someone from whom he is directly related (father to son) at this great big battle, and there was this awful goblin, and OH, I FORGOT HIS NAME BUT I REMEMBER READING IT SOMEWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please give me my fourteenth Silmaril, please, please, please!!!!!!!
Loni's answer is just too general. I want you to tell me the name of who the Watcher killed, and what his actual relationship to Gimli was.

You will need to read Ori's last diary entry and then consult the geneological Tables in Appendix A to LotR.
Is it that it killed Oin, Gimli's uncle?
Yes, Frodo_baggins has got it plus the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who made a sign saying 'Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward' and where did he make it Question Smilie
Gandalf did, on Bilbo Baggin's door Smile Smilie
Correct Gildor inglorion, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the horse that Eomer lent to Legolas and Gimli Question Smilie
Hasufel and Arod, I think. *c'mon, Grondy, I really need one of those pretty pseudo-Silmarils; I'm planning on remaking them, so I need a model*
He gave Hasufel to Aragorn, Arod to Legolass and Gimli.
Oh, I knew that!!!!! And I SHOULD'VE known the Watcher in the Water question. As soon as you hinted about Ori's last entry, it came to me! I remembered in my head the key phrase: "The Watcher in the Water took Oin." And then I read the next post. It WAS OIN!!! I was right!!!! I STILL have thirteen pseudo-silmarils though. And I LOVE my necklace I've made of them. I wear it everywhere.
Well, Bugyfeanor you gave the name of two horses so the pretty bauble goes to Frodo_baggins, who parsed them out properly. But keep trying and one of these decades I'm sure you will finally be awarded with a Pseudo-Silmaril of your very own. Just remember, "... he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

In what age did the Istari arrive at the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Around the year 1000 of the Third Age.
Virumor wins the Pseudo-Silmaril today. Happy Elf Smilie

Who won fame by killing Azog in th Battle of Azanulbizar Question Smilie
That was Din Ironfoot.
Gildor inglorion gets another pretty bauble for the answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who cried out to Turgon in Dimbar, and what did this tell Morgoth Question Smilie
Hurin, father of Turin Turambar. It gave Morgoth information about the whereabouts of Gondolin.
Virumor has the correct answer, so he gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whom did Sam succeed as Mayor of the Shire Question Smilie
The only other one I know was Will Whitfoot.
Wasn't Frodo acting mayor?

Oh please, oh please, oh please, I WANT MY FOURTEENTH SILMARIL!!!!!!!
Hey, I've got thirteen. And I am thirteen! Ironic.
BUT I STILL WANT TO HAVE FOURTEEN!!!!!!!!!
Is it Lotho?

Meanwhile, Loni decided to pick holes in Grondy's questions. There is a problem with your questions, Grondy. Mayor of HOBBITON, not mayor of the SHIRE. There is no mayor of the Shire, only a Thain. I think. At least that's what I remember.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>