Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Yes, another pretty-bauble for Loni. Happy Elf Smilie

Which hobbit-clan had a reputation for adventurousness even before Bilbo's adventures Question Smilie
The Brandybucks?
The Tooks.
Twas the Tooks; Virumor gets another Pseduo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened to the Arkenstone Question Smilie
It was put into Thorin's hands (or laid on his chest) when he was set in his tomb.
Stonehelm has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How old were Bilbo and Frodo at the long-expected birthday party and when they sailed from the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Bilbo was 111 years old at the party, Frodo was 33.
When they left the Grey havens, Bilbo was 131 and Frodo 53.
AmariŰ has the correct answers and the pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What township lay on the other side of Bag End from Hobbiton Question Smilie
Bywater? Pretty pretty please!!!!! i NEED my seventeenth Silmaril!!!! {I think it's seventeenth}
No, Bywater lies south-east of Hobbiton; the town (village, hamlet) in question lies north-west of Hobbiton on the other side of Bag End and The Hill. Deal Smilie

(I think the problem may be caused by the recent paperback editions of the LotR, including the movie cover editions, all of which have crummy maps and only a useless thumbnail of The Shire. For a good map of The Shire from the earlier editions see: The Shire. When you get there, click on the map a couple times to enlarge it.) Teacher Smilie
I couldn't read the writing, it looked like Needlecove, or something like that. Big Laugh Smilie

That is an excellent map, though, pity the books don't have that one in them anymore.
Overhill?
Overhill it is; Laurelindhe ilmarin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Bilbo discover his sword, which he later named "Sting" Question Smilie
In a troll hoard.
You stole my question!
haha that's an easy one! i guess you could call this question part B to the sting related question... shouldn't be too difficult! Wink Smilie

What was Gandalf's sword name, and who was that sword created for?

...since that question is so easy here is a bonus question!

who was Gurthang and who's blood did he feast on last, before his body was broken?
Turin, you have made an honest newbie mistake. I did so too when I was a newbie. Have you noticed that only Grondy is asking the questions on this here thread? It's like a gameshow. You answer his question, you get a pseudo-Silmaril. If you don't, you carry on trying. Gandalf's sword was Glamdring, and it was made for King Turgon of Gondolin. I think. But darn, who WAS Gurthang and on who's blood did he feast on last? Any takers?
ok sorry, didn't realize...

if you wanna answer my Gurthang question for fun don't let me stop you Wink Smilie

i'll admit the wording is kinda deceiving, but it does make sense.... it think

Gurthang was a sword and it feasted on YOU Turin. Cool Smilie
Now let me see if I can figure this out: Virumor gets a Pseudo-Silmaril for the answer to my question; Loni can have one for her answer to T˙rin turambar's first question; Stonehelm getrs one for the second question; and T˙rin turambar gets a 'no problem' and a warm welcome in the Prancing Pony. when I meet him there.

What town stood on stilts above the Long Lake Question Smilie
Lake-town or Esgaroth
Lake Town
thanks, that was awfully generous of you GOndy to give them prizes for my uncalled for questions! Smile Smilie

Good job Stonehelm! i tried to word the 2nd question to make it as difficult as possible.
AmariŰ has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

By what Sindarin name were the Misty Mountains also known Question Smilie
Hithaeglir
Darn, I couldn't've even answered that one. Too hard. But I should've known the Gurthang question!!! Cause it all came back to me. "It feasted on YOU, Turin." It did too. i remember that. I just didn't remember the name of the sword.

AND I HAVE SEVENTEEN PSEUDO-SILMARILS!!!! Haha, now my necklace is a weapon. Get too close, and I BLAST YOUR EYES AND YOU'RE BLINDED FOR LIFE!!!!!! But don't be scared. You see, the pseudo-silmarils I have are fitted with this little light-emitting resistory type thingy. It controls the amount of light. And they have little knobs poking out, real small. So I can just turn down the light. Clever, eh? I made them myself.
Hmmm, well I have almost as many as you, Loni, 14-15 something like that.

Mine cancel yours out, so you have the light of about 2 or 3. Cool Smilie
T˙rin turambar has the right answer and another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who called the Dwarves 'Gonnhirrim' and what did it mean Question Smilie
***EDIT****

sorry i posted answer, and then read the front page.... hope no one saw it. Wary Smilie
________________________________________________________ I
Elvish (Sindarin) name for the Dwarves, meaning "Masters of Stone".
Bugyfeanor has the language and the meaning so I guess I'll give the Pseudo-Silmaril to him. I was also looking for 'the Sindar or Grey Elves', but I suppose you can get that from their language. Happy Elf Smilie

What hills lay to the East of Erebor Question Smilie
Iron Hills
Darnit, Turin/Quick-Draw McGraw!

I knew this one !

Cabbage head!(only kidding)

(sulks in corner)
haha ya sorry 'bout that... it was a real easy one though, so i had to jump at the opportunity!
T˙rin turambar has the right answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What great hound was permitted to speak only three times?
Huan, the Hound of Valinor!!!! YEAH!!!!!! Seventeen Silmarils, sitting on a wall...
Wrong : the answer is H˙an... JRRT would be rightfully rolling in his grave, not using vital accents and as such totally mispronouncing Elvish names.
haha that may be true, but some people probably don't know how to use accents. Unlike you and I Wink Smilie
i DO know how to use accents. In Microsoft Word, that is. The "CTRL + ', u" never seems to work in PT. Or the Alt thingies, not that I memorised them. How do you do them?

And I'm sure seeing as Tolkien probably didn't know how to do them either, he will forgive me.
I'll also forgive you Loni. Most people, including myself, don't really care how they are pronounced as long as the correct information is passed on. Sure using the accents is more correct, but so is not using contractions, and simplified text. The following is how I get the accents when I really want them for P-T.

1) Click the "Start" button
2) Select "Run"
3) Type "charmap" and enter
4) Click the letter you wish to use and click "Select"
5) Click "Copy"
6) Paste the letter where you need it.
7) Retain the minimized Map window in case you need another accented letter.

This can be time consuming, but is good for the occasional letter and it works for everything when you can't use Word.

What was the last Kingdom of the Noldor to fall to Morgoth's legions Question Smilie
Gondolin (as was foretold by Ulmo). *waiting for the pseudo-Silmaril*
THanks with the accents, Grondy! AND NOW I HAVE SIXTEEN SILMARILS!!!!
Bugyfeanor wins the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Loni has no Silmarils, for FŰanor only made three and they are all accounted for: Maedhros cast himself and the first into the fiery earth; Maglor, before he took off a wandering, threw the second into the watery sea; and Eńrendil sails with the third and only remaining one in the airy heavens. What Loni has are a bunch of Pseudo-Silmarils which, while shining with brilliant light, can't hold a candle to the originals. Elf Winking Smilie

How did Sam locate Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol Question Smilie
He sang a song, and Frodo answered! That was so easy! you're losing your touch, Grondy! SEVENTEEN SILMARILS!!!
And you're a spoilsport. Am I not allowed to dream that I have silmarils? Besides, I found this silmaril polish from a dwarvish shop, and he assures me that if I polish them they will look just like the real thing!
You should keep in mind that after you reach 20 Silmarils, you are banned from this game for a lifetime. Now that's what i call being a spoilsport.
Loni got the answer and gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In Smith of Wootton Major who did the children call "old Rag-and-Bones" Question Smilie
I think that was Smith himself.
Nope, try again. Of course it helps if you have read it, but people have said the questions were too easy. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
damn that is a toughy... i don't even know what book it's from, non that i have.
It is from J/R/R/Tolkien's Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham.
ISBN 0-345-33606-2 Happy Elf Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>