Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Yes, that question has already been asked before.
Elostirion is what I was looking for, so Celebedhel gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

(Yes, I know I repeat, but as I have been doing this for nigh on four years and don't have an easily searchable list; and being only a Dwarf, rather than an Elf or an Ent with their long term memories, what do you expect. I do try not to repeat them too often, but sometimes it just happens.)

Who said, 'If any mortals have claim to the Ring, it is the men of N˙menor, and not Halflings.' Question Smilie
baromir
Who is baromir? Boromir.

Don't swear, Vir. -Ama-
Be nice Vileroomer Elf With a Big Grin Smilie If I can understand what they are trying to spell, I give them the benefit of the doubt. For not everyone has memorized the spelling of Tolkien's words nor do they have their copies of all his books near there computors. I have the latter and still miss-spell some of them from time to time. It took me quite a while to notice the vowel repeat rule in the two brothers' names: Faramir, Boromir.

So, Orc plumber gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the posted answer. Happy Elf Smilie However, he/she should be aware that these pretty baubles are very unstable and sublimate before their physical substance can get to their winner; except in the case of Loni who now says she has her twenty, strung on a string as a bright shiny necklace.

What was the Elvenking wearing on his head when Bilbo first saw him Question Smilie
A crown of berries and red leaves methinks - poor little Bilbo all invisble, and so close to those stinky dwarves! Nasty!
Yup, Celebedhel gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which host of the Eldar were called the Falmari, and what did it mean Question Smilie
OMG I can't answer this for like another 12 hours! ARG! ACK! DOH!
Quote:
OMG I can't answer this for like another 12 hours! ARG! ACK! DOH!
Actually you should have written 23 hours. It is 24 hours after the next question is posted. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
So Wednesday 1st 11:56pm?? I'm sure Vild will log in by then *sobs dramatically* Do I still have to wait 24hours if someone answers the question? *peers around fo Vild*
Not if the next question has been answered correctly and a follow-on question is posted; though if I were to see two people hogging the game by taking turns answering the questions within minutes of my posting them. I might have to reconsider it.

What this rule is trying to do is to also allow those people in Great Britain and on the Continent to have at a crack at some of them without my having to start posting them in my early morning hours before the rest of the Americas get online. My living eight time zones west of them does make it difficult., while if I lived there, the Ameicas would get short shrift.
Falmari were the host of the Teleri that went over the sea to the west. I think the name means "Sea Elves"
Arg, I so knew Floyd was gonna get me *giggles like a silly school girl*
I shall remember that. I shall. But I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I HAVE TWENTY PSEUDO-SILMARILS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next question please. MWAHAHAHA!!!! I SHALL GET IT THIS TIME!!!! (ACtually I probably won't because I won't be logged on for a bit, BUT ANYWAY!!! I can dream, can't I?)
Floyd_n_milan does get the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose handmaid was IlmarŰ Question Smilie
Varda Elentari.
Virumor gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Gandalf's Garden Question Smilie
Gandalf's Garden was a series of 6 publications by Muz Murray
Correct Mellie, welcome back by the way. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Elessar appointed Peregrin Took to what office Question Smilie
He appointed Pippin the Took and Thain.
No, that is an hereditary office that lies beyond the scope of the kingship's power, he can only unmake the current holder, like the Queen saying, 'Off with his head!'. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
(Hint: Read the next sentence in Appendix B.) Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
1431 - Peregrin becomes the Took and THain. King Elessar makes th eTHain, the Master, and the Mayor Counsellors of the North-kingdom.

Does that answer your question? (And get me my twentyfirst silmaril?)
Yes, "a Counsellor of the North-kingdom" is what I was after. Loni gets her 21st pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which member of Thorin's Coimpany led an expedition to re-colonise Khazad-dűm Question Smilie
OOH I KNOW IT BUT I CAN'T SAY!!!!!
Balin
Oh, and I was about to post the answer, having waited a day!!!! Oh well.... I still have my shinyshinys, and my necklace is getting quite heavy now!!! *falls over with the weight*
Yup, Virumor has another Pseudo-Silmaril for his collection. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the Dragon that Fram son of Frumgar slew Question Smilie
Without searching the books: Snaga. I know that's the dragon whose hoard Merry's horn came from. It makes sense that someone slew Snaga - but i don't really remember if Fram was the one who did it.
Gonna give you a hand here : I believe Snaga was an Orc, not a dragon.
Hmmm... you may be right. Looks like I need to check the book. Does Grondmaster pose questions from memory, or does he get to rifle the index of The Silmarillien?
That would be Scatha, the naughty little Worm. Wink Smilie
Where is this question from exactly? I don't remember reading about this in the Silmarillion or have I missed something?
The question is from the LOTR Appendix. House of Eorl.
Yes, it was Scatha, and though I can see the similarity to Snaga, I'll have to award the pretty bauble to Gildor inglorion. Happy Elf Smilie

The questions come out of Tolkien's books, not from my memory. I will also draw on questions from Tolkien's stories and poems, but won't use ones from the H.O.M.E. series. Though I have been know to resort to a quiz book now and then, I then try to double-check those answers so I can prove their legitimacy.

Also finding the source for a known answer provides me with a challenge, and my being in most of the books daily and having a handle on what's in the indices and appendices helps with this. Once in a while I have even had to resort to my downloaded Encyclopedia of Arda, and when it's not in there I might even google; though I can usually find it in the books. if I just put my mind to it. I still don't own Frost's dictionary.

What oath was sworn on the summit of T˙na and by whom Question Smilie
FŰanor and his seven sons swore an oath to pursue with hatred and vengeance to the ends of the world anyone who would have a Silmaril in possession.

That question reminds me of a joke : "what do a hiker and a Noldo have in common? They both live on Tuna!"
Orc Grinning Smilie Virumor has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who fled from the Nazgűl at the house at Crickhollow Question Smilie
Fatty Bolger
Correct Celebedhel, you win today's Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the names of the three Stone Trolls that Strider and the hobbits found on their journey to Rivendell Question Smilie
tom, bill, and bert
I'd have been back before this, but the pages wouldn't load. Anyway, Tom, Bill, and Bert are the correct answers; in fact Bill's full name was William Huggins. T˙rin Turambar gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie
No new question? Did you lose your Trivia-book ? Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Hey! I've done it again. Orc Going Huh Smilie That's thrice this year. Orc Smiling Smilie

For yesterday: OndolindŰ was the original name of which city Question Smilie

For today: What was the Greenway formerly known as Question Smilie
First question : Gondolin

Second question : north-south road
Now, does Virumor have to wait 24 or 48 hours after I post this next one before he may try answering it? Anyway I'll award him two pretty baubles for his two correct answers: one for each ear or as he will, each nostril. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Who first discovered Men in Beleriand Question Smilie
Was it Melkor?
Finrod Felagund? I get confused with all those F's!!!
The Edain?

Finglofin?
And I say Feanor, with his arrival into Beleriand. He came before Fingolfin with a lot of the Noldor...Let's see who's right!
Floyd_n_milan has it and a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie Finrod Felagund, the brother of Galadriel, encountered the first Men to cross the Blue Mountains. And I'm not going to haggle about whether or not Ossiriand and Thargelion were part of Beleriand: they also sank beneath the waves and I consider the Blue Mountains rather than the River Gelion as the natural geographical border. Of course I may be wrong. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

What was the name of the battle that ended the Siege of Angband. Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>