Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
I'm pretty sure Aragorn used East Wind as a metaphore for the malevolent forces of Mordor soon to be unleashed on Gondor, as Mordor llies east of Gondor.

Hmm, i wonder whether Faramir would have found a better metaphore...
Quote:
'In Minas Tirith they endure the East Wind, but they do not ask it for tidings.
I'll try to explain my understanding of this:

When in Minas Tirith, the East Wind comes out of the Morgul Vale with its stench of evil from Minas Morgul, the corrupted former Minas Ithil (Tower of the Rising Moon), which in happier times had been the sister city of Minas Tirith, when it was known as Minas Arnor (Tower of the Setting Sun). The inhabitants of Minas Tirith found life easier by not dwelling on all the horrors, both past and present, occuring in Minas Morgul. Teacher Smilie

Like they found it best: to 'let sleeping dogs lie'; to 'leave well enough alone'; to invoke the old adage 'out of sight, out of mind'; etc. At least that's my take on the subject.

Anyway Virumor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What island was renamed Tol-in-Gaurhoth, and what did it mean Question Smilie
I was hoping to nip in here and steal the first psuedo silmaril of 2005, but Vir beat me to it.

I'll go for the second however by saying Tol Sirion was renamed Tol-in-Gaurhoth, which means Island of Werewolves.
Erm.... where is this question from?
From the Silmarillion, obviously.
Valedhelgwath gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for his answer which along with the question comes from The Silmarillion about half way through Chapter 18, which is entitled 'Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin'.

What was the Sindarin name for the Silverelode Question Smilie
Celebrant?

He's right!

Quote:
The river Silverlode springs in the Dimrill Dale (Azanulbizar) through Lo'rien and flows into the Anduin. Its tributaries include the Nimrodel and other mountain streams.

In Sindarin it is called the Celebrant ("silver-course") and in the tongue of Dwarves it is named Kibil-na^la ("cold-spring") referring also to its icy origin.

I would have guessed Nimrodel, but Virumor is so incredibly fast!!!
Virumor gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Tolkien lifted all the dwarf-names in The Hobbit from what ancient literary work Question Smilie
The Elder Edda of Snorri Sturluson, I think.
Yup, from the poem Volussp in the elder edda, but no-one knows who wrote the elder edda. Snorri used parts of it in the younger edda.
Shaya puma gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who gave the Old Took a pair of magic diamond studs and where is that bit found Question Smilie

(I had a hard time finding the answer, as I was going to add 'and why', but I don't think Tolkien ever told us; though it might be an interesting new thread for speculation.)
Was it Gandalf?

And I think it is from the Hobbit.
Yes Galenhir, it was Gandalf and is from The Hobbit, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie It appears during the dissertation on all the mythology (fact or fiction) that the hobbit children had learned about Gandalf, that Bilbo gave us when he it finally dawned on him that his nosy old visiter was none other than Gandalf the Wizard.

Can you name the Peredhil Question Smilie
Elrond was called Half-Elven = Peredhil.

There are various Peredhili, though, but this wasn't the question as Peredhil is singular.
Wasn't Earendil also quite Half-Elven? I might be wrong of course. Its been years since I've read the Silmarillion and as Holmes would like to say...the required matter has been dumped out of your attic - that'll be my brain!!
Well, what I wanted was Elrond and Elros, but as now the only source I can quickly find for Peredhil is the Encyclopedia of Arda, which considers it plural covering the two sons of Earendil and Elwing. It means Half-Elven.

Okay, nowhere could I find "Peredhili"; however, Our Guide Project, of which only the first half got itself transfered here at the begining of last year, listed (via some time spent in my timemachine) the following:
Quote:
Peredhil
Refers to the half-elven, namely Elrond and Elros, but could also include Elwing, Earendil, Dior, Elured, Elurin, Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen.
Anyway I'll give the pretty bauble to Virumor and an "atta boy" to Lord_aragorn86 and we'll move on to something else. Happy Elf Smilie

What name did the Dwarves give to Tom Bombadil Question Smilie
I thought u referred to Elrond's alias, "Peredhil" = Half-Elven. But apparently that title was also used for Elros. But not for the other Half-Elves.

Peredhel = Half-Elf = Dior, Elwing, Erendil, Elrond, Elros, etc. I don't know what the plural of "peredhel" is. I thought i read "peredheli" or something like that somewhere, but i forgot where.

As for Dior : wouldn't he be mortal as he was the son of mortal parents? Both Lthien and Beren were mortal after their return to Beleriand. For the same reason, Eldarion, son of Aragorn and Arwen, would be mortal as Arwen became as a mortal woman after the departure of Elrond.

Furthermore, if Dior was half-elf, then his daughter Elwing wouldn't be half-elf but 1/4 human 3/4 elf as Dior's wife Nimloth was an elf.

So basically : if we consider "half elven" as a title then it refers to Elrond and Elros; if we use "half elven" as a normal word then if refers to Elwing, Elured, Elurin, Erendil, Elrond, Elros, Elladan, Elrohir, Arwen.
My 24 hour banishment has ended, so i'll say : Forn.

I
That's 24 hours after the next question is posted so you don't get the thingy for your correct answer Virumor. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie And now you still get to wait until about 1045 PM GMT tonight 06 January. Good and Evil Smilie

What title was given to Gimli after the War of the Ring Question Smilie
Lock-bearer

This could get addictive. I don't think I deserve the pseudo-s. as I misnamed Snorri St. as the author from that previous question. (This makes me feel all noble and good.)
Elf-friend, becuase of his rare friendship with Legolas.
Gimli was named Lord of the Glittering Caves of Aglarond
To help answer Virumor, J.E.A Tyler in the new Tolkien Companion states that the singular form is Peredhel, and the plural Peredhil. He also lists Elrond and Elros as those to whom the term applies as invented, and less specifically to those of mixed Eldarin and Mannish descent; basically Earendil, Dior, Dior's children Elvred, Elvrin and Elwing, along with Elrond's children Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen. Curiously missing are Elros' children. Funny how Elros' choice created his childrens' doom, yet Elrond's choice left open that of his offspring.
The Pseudo-Silmaril goes to Oloriniwasinmyyouth for his answer was Gimli's title. Happy Elf Smilie

The other good guesses are names he was also known as, but as they could also be used to describe others, they don't count as his title.

Who were called the Apannar, the Engwar, and the Strangers Question Smilie
LOL< I hate it when I can't answer a trivia question

Not allowed to, I mean...

The Dwarfs were called that?
No, not the Dwarves. Happy Elf Smilie

Engwar means 'The Sickly' and Apannar means 'The Afterborn', if that helps. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
MEN! MEN! MEN! MEN! I do believe that's my twentyfirst pseudo-Silmaril now, or is it my twentysecond?
Aye Loni; they be Men. You get another pretty bauble to add to your collection. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Melkor seek in the Void Question Smilie
The flame imperishable.
Correct Shaya puma, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who did Faramir imply were not 'wondrous fair to look upon' Question Smilie
Hey!!! Faramir did never say that!! I watched the entire TTT and ROTK movie and he didn't say that once !!!!! Very Big Grin Smilie

Anyway, the answer is : Elfies.
Hullo Sam! Sorry, but Faramir said that elves "were" wondrous fair to look upon, "or so 'tis said." He was implying that Frodo and Sam were not, not to mention Gollum.

Hobbits

The exact quote:

Quote:
`Nay! Not Elves,' said the fourth, the tallest, and as it appeared the chief among them. `Elves do not walk in Ithilien in these days. And Elves are wondrous fair to look upon, or so 'tis said.'

'Meaning we're not, I take you,' said Sam. `Thank you kindly. And when you've finished discussing us, perhaps you'll say who you are, and why you can't let two tired travellers rest.'

The tall green man laughed grimly. `I am Faramir, Captain of Gondor,' he said. `But there are no travellers in this land: only the servants of the Dark Tower, or of the White.'

(Elfy was here, but only to fix your quote.) Police Smilie
I'm in agreement with Rhaps, "filthy stinking Hobbitses!"

I dont expect to get a Pseudo-Sil, just wanted to post that Wink Smilie

Bad King Smilie
Oloriniwasinmyyouth has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name two rivers that flow through Fangorn Question Smilie
Hi Grondy! Is it the Entwash and Limlight?
Why now that you mention it, yes it is. Eruwen gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose arrival changed the course of the Battle of Helm's Deep Question Smilie
The Elfies!!! ha ha ha

Of course, the real answer is Gandalf who brought Erkenbrand and Co.
I'll accept Virumor's answer as long as the "and Co" includes the Huorns, for I believe that without the hateful atmosphere of the trees, the Orcs would not have been cowed by a Wizard and another thousand Men. That Theoden's charge from the Keep and the Wizard's and Erkenbrand's charge down from the ridge surprised them, goes without saying, but without their trying to escape through the Huorn, they would soon have turned and swarmed over the Riders with their still ten to one numerical superiority. Have another pretty bauble Virumor. Happy Elf Smilie

With what chain was Melkor bound after the War of Wrath Question Smilie
That would be Angainor
Correct Oloriniwasinmyyouth, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Lady of the Stars Question Smilie
That has to be Varda, Elbereth. I think "Star Kindler" is better and one of the most beautiful titles in Tolkien.
Shaya puma has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What colors were hobbits notably fond of Question Smilie
Lets see...erm..black?

No, they were fond of yellow and green!
Isn't it supposed to be 'colour' ?
Quote:
Isn't it supposed to be 'colour'

Well, dear Vir, "color" is the American way of spelling "colour". You can't really blame them for that!
Quote:
Isn't it supposed to be 'colour' ?
Virumor: When we gave up paying taxes to King George III we also started droping the usless u from many of the words ending in "our" and for someone as knowlegeable as yourself to just be noticing this makes me wonder what's happened to make you so darned touchy lately. (Did the rabbit die?) Come to think of it, I wonder if our dropping the u really occurred during one our 19th century disagreements with the French. or if we just got lazy. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I have no problem when you disagree with someone's take on any subject, but lately when someone happens diagree with you, you have been getting all upity. To me, that seems quite unfair. I don't mind your picking on PJ's movies, he and they are fair game, but please cut us some slack and try not to be so paranoid. And for heaven's sake, after reading this, please don't cut and run from PT like some have done: I still appreciate your contributions to our discussion. Happy Elf Smilie

(NOTE: Any member of the council may edit or delete the above, if it is out of line.)

How did Bilbo know Sting was an Elvish blade Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>