Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Please excuse me,

I had no idea that the questions were asked by only one person. Forgive me, it wont happen again.

Not a problem Curufinwe, welcome to P-T. Happy Elf Smilie And for your correct answer you are awarded a Pseudo-Silmaril. (Note: these have no physical substance and no monetary value as they seem to sublimate upon manufacture; though Loni has strung her twenty-some and uses them as jewelry.)

Lord_aragorn86 also gets one of these pretty baubles for his correct answer to Curufinwe's question. Happy Elf Smilie

Up to which peak did the Endless Stair of Khazad-dm lead Question Smilie

Also if anyone wishes to volunteer to make another large Planet-Tolkien Trivia Quiz for the membership to answer by email, see History of Middle Earth Brainteaser for our previous quizes. (Note: it seems we lost the first posts in the linked thread so you will have to read further on to find the rules.) This will give you an idea of how we have done them in the past. Council approval will be required prior to posting this quiz, so if you still want to make one for us to run, then send me a PM or email to Grondmaster@planet-tolkien.com for more info.
Celebdil

Thanks for the warm welcome Grondmaster...

P.S: It might not have been 24 hours exactly... But I just couldnt resist.
Yes Curufinwe, it lead to the peak of Celebdil, which was also known as Silvertine. So another pretty bauble coming your way. Happy Elf Smilie

Why was Morgoth displeased with Glaurung Question Smilie
Becasue he grew too slowly???

99% chance of being wrong... hehe
Because he, Glaurung, Morgoth's new secret weapon, reveals himself to the enemy (elves and men) before he is full grown in power.
Shaya puma has got it right and also the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who fled from the Nazgl at the house at Crickhollow Question Smilie
That Fatso.....I mean Fatty Bolger!
Correct Lord_aragorn86, you get the pretty bauble this time. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the more portly: Fredegar (Fatty) Bolger or Old Fatty Lumpkin Question Smilie

As there will not be definitive answer to that question, answer this for the Pseudo-Silmaril:

Can you list the Elvish names of the three great peaks above Moria Question Smilie
Celebil - The Silvertine
Caradhras - the Red horn
Fanuidol - the "I dont know"

Hehe... no wait its Mount Doom! lol
Rhapsody has their correct spelling, but Curufinwe got there first with only one (mostly silent) letter missing from each which means he/she was probably doing it from memory. Curufinwe gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

The Falls of Sirion plunged over which range of hills Question Smilie
Thank you... Actually "Celeb(d)il" was just a typo... and yes i did do it fomr memory. I prefer doing it that way when possible.

P.S: Its HE... Just like our dear Feanor.

Quote:
The Falls of Sirion plunged over which range of hills Question Smilie

I think it's the Andram hills.
Elf Smilie
That was correct Elfstone, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

With what weapon did El slay Aredhel Question Smilie
A javelin with a poisoned point.
A poisonned Javelin that he carried hidden under his cloak. He was aiming for his son in the halls of King Turgon But Turgons Sister Aredhel jumped in to save him and took the javelin. After he was throw off the great walls of Gondolin... hehe long answer, but Bugy beat me to it.
You got it Bugyfeanor, and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie And the only thing Curufinwe left out of his later posted recount of the story was that Aredhel was the mother of El's son, Maeglin, who along with his mother, chose to stay with Turgon, rather than return home with his Dark Elven father.

Can you describe Lthien at Beren's first encounter with her Question Smilie
Quoting book

"Blue was her raiment as the unclouded heaven but her eyes were grey as the starlit evening; her mantle was sewn with golden flowers, but her hair was dark as the shadows of twilight. As the light upon the leaves of trees, as the voice of clear waters, as the stars above the mists of the world, such was her glory and her loveliness; and in her face was a shining light."

Then he started perceiving her as leavesin the wind in autumn and as a star upon a hill in the winter... etc.
Close enough Curufinwe. Elf Winking Smilie So you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did the Elves call Men Engwar Question Smilie
I think Engwar is Quenya for "sickly". As Elves had not encountered people of such short lifespan before they met the first Men, they called them this because they had a habit of getting ill and dying.
Valedhelgwath has the correct answer; though I can't prove if Engwar is Quenya or Sindarin, but Val usually knows best. He also gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you fill in the missing gap:
Quote:
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and ..... old
Question Smilie
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and carvens old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold

Summoning... cant go wrong there, you a fan Grond?
Curufinwe has the correct answer and a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Quote:
Summoning... cant go wrong there, you a fan Grond?
Grondy doesn't understand the question.

What happened to the Orcs that suvived the First Battle of Beleriand Question Smilie
I'll leave this question's answer to someone else...

@ Grondy:

Summoning = black metal music band dedicated to TOLKIEN's works.

Wink Smilie Now you can answer the question... but i'm afraid I already know the answer... lol
They roamed Beleriand.
Quote:
Now you can answer the question... but i'm afraid I already know the answer... lol
Yes, you are right: I'm too old and set in my ways to know any of these Johnny-come-latelys. My teanage years saw the discovery of Elvis; I remember the debut of Bill Halley and the Comets with their 'Rock Around the Clock'. I also was one of those who cried the month of February back in 1959, when Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper died in that Iowan cornfield. I was in my mid-twenties before the Beatles ever hit the American scene. I really am an old 'Fart from a long ways back" who grew out of rock. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Sorry

The previous Trivia Question remains unanswered.
Woah... you must be like 240! Props to that *tips hit hat* I'm just a young and naive 22 year old... Ah well, I'll grow out of rock to sooner or later... maybe when I hit 150... Anyways, I'll still leave the last question for somone else.

btw, I'm just kidding about the age thingy. I'm talking in Numenorean years... hehe

Wink Smilie
The previous Trivia Question remains unanswered. so I'll repeat it below.

What happened to the Orcs that suvived the First Battle of Beleriand Question Smilie

In other words, how did they later meet their end Question Smilie Or who 'done them in' Question Smilie
They were slain by the Naugrim (dwarves) of Mount Dolmed.
Tommie had the correct answer so she gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was son of Primula Brandybuck and great-grandson of the Old Took Question Smilie
Frodo!
Yup, Arwen's grandma got it, and a Pseudo-Silmaril. :Happyelf:

Whose emblem was a winged sun Question Smilie
The House Of Finwe. High King of the noldor, shared by Faenor ( thats me! Smile Smilie ), Fingolfin and Finarfin.
Correct Curufinwe, another pretty bauble is yours. Happy Elf Smilie

What gifts did Legolas receive from Galadriel Question Smilie
A bow of Lorien?
And what else, for "gifts" are plural?
The gifts were:" a elven cloak (which they all received), a Galadrim bow with the string of a elven hair and a quiver of arrows."
Is that the lot? Or is there more?
I SWEAR I was going to say that. But then the Computers teacher was like "I hope nobody's on the Internet." And I was like "BUT I JUST HAVE TO POST THIS POST!" and I got off.
Yes, Loni's been a bad girl, going on the Internet in Computers. But now it's STudy. And I've nothing to do that I haven't forgotten to bring. (Slack, slack)
That's the lot, Etharion. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Araw's better known name Question Smilie
Orome the great hunter... Original Master of Huan past down to Celegorm on his departure from the shores of Aman... bla bla bla... hehe I talk to much.
Chock up another pretty bauble to Curufinwe for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name the five members of the White Council Question Smilie
Saruman, Galadriel, Gandalf, Elrond, and Celeborn?
Adreia has four out of the five, Happy Elf Smilie now someone to win, needs to say who on Adreia's list doesn't belong and to come up with a replacement for them.
Oh! It's Celeborn...and Radghast belongs...I think
Ragagast isn't the replacement for Celeborn, so keep trying to find out who was. Hint: He was another old timer.
Glorfindel? He is not only old, he is recycled too!
Older, but not Tom Bombadil, and he is unusual in that he has a beard as I remember reading somewhere this week.
Blah, Cirdan of course. Didn't think about him at all. I really need to re-read the books...
Where does it list the members of the White Council? I feel stupid, I've never come across a list before. So it's Cirdan, Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf?
Yes, Amarie gets the Pseudo-silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie The coreect answer is: Saruman, Galadriel, Gandalf, Elrond, and Cirdan. I found them on the pages of The Silmarillion listed in the index under 'White Council'.

Who defeated who in the Battle of the Camp Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>