Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
i think it was swans, sounds about right
Correct Fingolfin, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who 'munched and mumbled a bare old bone' Question Smilie
the answer to Who 'munched and mumbled a bare old bone'

old troll?
Correct Cirdan so you get your very first Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie (PS: They aren't real.)

Who took Merry and Pippin to his house during the Entmoot Question Smilie
oooo.i know this one..it was quickbeam the ent who made up his mind quickly,he was kalled that becasue he answered someones question before the person finishhed asking it.

i know my ents
That is correct Cirdan, but I can't award you the another pretty bauble at this time. Please read the Rule in the first post of this thread.

To the top of which peak did the Endless Stair at Khazad-Dûm lead Question Smilie
ow,sorry,i didnt see that
to the Zirak Zigil.

or like the French say : Chirac Zigil.
Are you sure it isn't Chim-Chim-a-ree? No? Well then it must be as Miruvor has said and he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was named the Father of Dragons Question Smilie
It was Glaurung that was named "Father of the Dragons."
That is the correct answer Lemaly orangeflower, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What mountains lay on the Eastern coast of Valinor Question Smilie
Pelóri; also called the Mountains of Defence and the Mountains of Aman.
You were a little early with your correct answer Lemaly orangeflower, but I'll give you the pretty bauble anyway. Remember it is 24 hours after I post the next question. Happy Elf Smilie

How many Black Riders did Frodo espy from the summit of Weathertop Question Smilie
sorry...i'm dumb. I thought it was 24 hours after I posted my answer. I guess it doesn't help when I'm dyslexic.
Two. The number depicted by Vee's avatar.
Huh! Two is the wrong answer, but the number represented by Vee's avatar is the correct answer, so what is it in English?
I think I remember five black riders.
The answer depends on when you are talking about. During the night, when Frodo and co were attaced, they were attacked by five of the Nazgul, agreed. But when Frodo and Strider had reached the Amon Sul smmit in the morning, Frodo espied two riders on the ground below by the "sniffing" noise they were making.
Point to you Lord_aragorn86 and the Pseudo-Silmaril as well, for it was my mistake and your second answer made your first more meaningful, to me at least. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

List the fifteen participants in the Quest for the Lonely Mountain that left the Green Dragon Inn, on that Thursday morning in May, if you can.
Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin, Bilbo, and Gandalf.
Lemaly orangeflower has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

As Gandalf reported to the Council of Elrond, what fate had Saruman claimed for the One Ring Question Smilie
he claimed that it had washed down the Anduin into the great sea long ago, never to be found again
That's right Fingolfin, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What river was called the Kibil-nâla in Khuzdul Question Smilie
its been 24 hours so what the hey, 'twas the Silverlode, or the River Celebrant
Yes to both answers Fingolfin, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Ondolindë was the original name of which city Question Smilie
Waving Hello Smilie

Gondolin.
Keerect Tommie, so you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why was there a notch in Gumli's axe after the battle of the Hornburg Question Smilie
Quote:

Why was there a notch in Gumli's axe after the battle of the Hornburg?

Because the last Orc Gimli slew had an iron collar around his neck. Backtracking a bit? (Wish I'd been around when the question about "Master of Fate" was asked; I think I had a shot...)

So I get a question, right? Who killed Gothmog, and what was his title?
Quote:
So I get a question, right?
I'm sorry, but no. In this thread I get to ask the questions and the rest of the membership get to answer them, as long as they wait after answering one correctly for 24 hours after I post the next question to allow others a crack at it.

In answer to your question: I don't believe anyone killed Gothmog, the Lieutenant of (Minas) Morgal; his spirit probably blew away in a puff of smoke when the ring was destroyed in the Fires of Orodruin. Though I suppose you could say that 'it were Gollum what done in the dude', or Sauron for that matter, since he created the One Ring that actually did the deed.

Who is the following describing Question Smilie
Quote:
For the arising of ______ was terrible, as a mounting wave that strides to the land, with dark helm foam-crested and raiment of mail shimmering from silver down into shadows of green. - J.R.R.Tolkien somewhere in The Silmarillion
Other Gothmog, though I did skip your time limit, sorry. I really expected someone to jump all over that 'cos it's a concept that stuck in my brain as a remarkably simple barrier to decapitation, but different things grab different people. This one seems to remind me of a passage on Glaurung I can't find now, so that's the one I'm going with, though the imagery seems more like Ulmo.
it is Ulmo, although i believe in that passage he is refferred to as the lord of waters or king of the sea, dont know if i deserve the prize for that vague answer though.
Ulmo is what i was looking for; the quote may be from where he met Turgon, but my eyes are too tired to concentrate on finding it today. Anyway Fingolfin gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Gothmog the first was Lord of the Balrogs, high-captain of Angband, slayer of Fëanor, Fingon, and Ecthelion.

How many Men journeyed with Bilbo to the Lonely Mountain Question Smilie
none all were dwarves or istari
Correct Elrose, a Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Who gave Morgoth seven wounds in a duel Question Smilie
Nolofinwë
Yea, now I can start kicking myself for going with my gut instead of my head because it's been answered. While I don't really like to go to the back of the book to answer questions, I did check immediately after answering (while I've yet to find that elusive online text of the Silmarillion, most phrases can be googled) and felt justifiably sheepish.

Hey, no fair mixing sources; the Silmarillion says Fingolfin (I say that without looking it up, but feel pretty safe in doing so.) OK, we know who (the other) Gothmog was, now, who killed him and what was his title?
Fingolfin is the name I wanted, Morambar gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Gothmog was killed by Ecthelion of the Fountain, Elf-Lord of Gondolin; and sadly, the deed was mutual.

Who was the mother of Samwise Gamgee Question Smilie
Was it Halfred of Overhill?
No, Halfred of Overhill was Sam's nuncle, the Gaffer's brother.
Yeah, but what a way to go. Up there with Fingolfin and Feanor. Dunno, how many regular Balrogs does it take to equal their leader? Meanwhile, Grondmaster gives with one hand and takes with the other (can't really keep a psuedo-Silmaril given as you answer my question.) But, of course, psuedo-Silmarils don't really travel well.
Bell Goodchild i belive
Yes Elrose, another pretty bauble to you. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the colors of Fingolfin's banners Question Smilie
Blue and silver? Am I right? Huh, huh, huh? Smile Smilie
Quote:
Fingolfin is the name I wanted, Morambar gets the pretty bauble

Nolofinwë = Fingolfin. Never heard of Quenya names ?

for the same, Fëanor = Curufinwë, Finarfin = Arafinwë
could that shiny thing on the front of his shield be white? Blue and white? please? Smile Smilie
Eruwen has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
...as the host of Fingolfin marched into Mithrim the Sun rose flaming in the West; and Fingolfin unfurled his blue and silver banners, and blew his horns, and flowers sprang beneath his marching feet, and the ages of the stars were ended. - The Silmarillion 'Of the Return of the Noldor'
Around here the Sun sinks slowly in the West, but I suppose it had not yet figured out its daily routine back in those elder days. Still that passage is rather glorious.

Quote:
Nolofinwë = Fingolfin. Never heard of Quenya names ?
Sure I've heard of Quenya names, however I don't read it, nor do many of our members. Also as I couldn't readily locate a source for your answer in any of my reference books, I decided to skip your answer knowing that in your great wisdom, you would quote chapter and verse where the professor or his son defined the word as Fingolfin. Please do so and I'll award you a pretty bauble. (In my opinion, only being in the Valar Guild's Encyclopedia doesn't make it so.) Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Legolas hear the air throbbing in his ears Question Smilie
In the pass of Carahadras ( I think that's how you spell it) when saruman was sending a storm to make them go through moria.
I think I got this one, primarily because someone referenced it in another thread I was reading a few days back. Passing through the suddenly appearing forest of Huorns after the Battle of Helms Deep. I suppose it could be on first entering Fangorn, too (I recall it being specific to unquite trees,) but I'm still limiting myself to one guess and going with the first one (foot is poised for swift kick.) I could CYA by checking, but a) I don't like doing that for trivia questions, as anyone can do that fairly easily (BERY easily, in fact, but I won't go into that here as I feel it would ruin the game) and b) my Two Towers started to disintegrate on the first pass; as I'm up to nine now I don't normally open it unless I'm rereading the series, and then very carefully. An argument for hard back books, but it was a gift, and there's only two series for which I can justify shelling out the extra cash, WoT and LotR et al.

I believe it's Caradhras, which I remember by recalling that in Sindarin "dh" is the Celtic version (="th" in English.)
in the movie, when Saruman says the quenya "incantation" on top of orthanc when the fellowship is passing over Caradhras, he says Nai yarvaxëa rasselya taltuva notto-carinnar! = "may your bloodstained horn collapse upon enemy heads!" i find that slightly ammusing
Quote:
Sure I've heard of Quenya names, however I don't read it, nor do many of our members. Also as I couldn't readily locate a source for your answer in any of my reference books, I decided to skip your answer knowing that in your great wisdom, you would quote chapter and verse where the professor or his son defined the word as Fingolfin. Please do so and I'll award you a pretty bauble. (In my opinion, only being in the Valar Guild's Encyclopedia doesn't make it so.)

His name is mentioned in the more complete (and correct) Noldor genealogy mentioned in HOME, War of the Jewels. That's all i'm going to say.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>