Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Ulmo moved an island to the bay of balar then the Vanyar and Noldor went on it and Ulmo drew it acros the sea to Valinor
Golden_red has the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What made Sam so certain that Frodo had been killed by Shelob Question Smilie
Sam took the ring of power from Frodo and there was no reaction. This more than anything convinced Sam that Frodo was dead. Poor Sam, and I suppose poor Frodo.
sure him having teeny tiny pulse, being pale and wrapped in spider web when he jus saw the biggest spider ever...sedes unglonot or w/e, wouldnt have nything to do with it??

Quote:
sure him having teeny tiny pulse, being pale and wrapped in spider web when he jus saw the biggest spider ever...sedes unglonot or w/e, wouldnt have nything to do with it??

Indeed, the dead appearance of our dear Frodo, the girth of Shelob, the webby coverings lead our Samwise to suspect that his master had left this world, but it was the non-reaction of ring removal that finally cinched it.
Yup, Mungo has it and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

The Mythopoeic Society was devoted to studying the works of which three authors Question Smilie
Okay, I'll give you the hardest of them:

Charles Williams, who wrote: War in Heaven (in 1930), Many Dimensions (1931), Descent into Hell (1937), All Hallows' Eve (1945), Shadows of Ecstasy (1933), The Greater Trumps (1932), and The Place of the Lion (1931).
i think it's J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis (and Charles Williams)

i read t somewhere, is it them?
That's them, the main culprits of the Inklings. So Elessar lossëhelin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Pippin's father Question Smilie
Paladin Took the 2nd.
Correct Mungo, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What valley lay outside the Great Gates of Khazad-dûm Question Smilie
It lies on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains, in case that helps.
Azanulbizar (Dimrill dale) ?
Yep, its Dimrill Dale mate.
You got it Golden_red, and also the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In the War of Wrath, who contended with the Dragons in the air Question Smilie
Like who was able to fight these flying monsters in the final battle that ended the First Age?
The Eagles?
You got it Lemaly orangeflower and so also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What oath did Fëanor and his sons swear on the summit of Túna Question Smilie
You wanting that verbatim, Grondy? 'Cos I don't remember it actually being quoted. But, IIRC, they swore to pursue the Silmarils to the ends of the earth, be they in possession of Vala, Elf, or "Mortal yet unborn, " and called both Manwe and Varda, as well as Eru himself as witness that they would keep their oath or be taken by the everlasting darkness.

You got the essentials Morambar, and also the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What Northern Kingdom in the Third Age was ruled by the Lord of the Nazgûl Question Smilie
Awesome! Thanks, Grondy; back in style, eh? :-p Better still, I may be the first person in the history of the world to come up with a constructive (i.e. non-ornamental) purpose for a PSUEDO-Silmaril. *counts minutes....*
The answer to the question would be Angmar because of which he was also more popularly known as the Witch-King of Angmar.
Correct LA86, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the names of the three trolls encountered by Bilbo and his companions Question Smilie
For extra credit, provide us with any of their full names Question Smilie
bert , tom and william ?
They are the ones Golden_red, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

We also know William's last name was Huggins, because Bert told us so just before he put his fist into William's eye.

The Ford of Rivendell crossed which river Question Smilie
The Bruinen, or is that too simple?

*hopes he's right; when I get three I'm trading them in toward a blonde.*
You got it Morambar, though I think Tolkien shouldn't have called it the 'Ford of Rivendell' as it was probably ten miles from Rivendell and there was a stone bridge across the Loudwater at Rivendell. He should have stuck with the 'Ford of Bruinen', instead of using both names for the same place. Anyway, Morambar has his third pretty bauble, so look out blondes. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of weapon did the Lord of the Nazgûl wield in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields Question Smilie
Quote:
"A great black mace he wielded."
What not the sword shown in the movies? Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Okay Mungo had the correct answer with his great black Mace, so he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which character does the following describe: "A man so bent with age that he seemed almost a dwarf, but his white hair was long and thick and fell in great braids from beneath a thin golden circlet set upon his brow." Question Smilie
Gotta say Theoden, as I don't see Denethor wearing braids. Of course, things got better after Ian McKellan and Father Marin turned his hair back to a reddish gold, right? :P (Guy would be a good choice to play Hurin tough. )

Edit: I'm too tired to spell Hurin. And how come you always ask the ones I know after the ones I know? (Which you obviously don't ALWAYS do, or I'd have no Psuedo-Silmarils to make an Iron Crown for a leggy blonde. ;-p)
You got it Morambar, another Pseudo-Silmaril for your crown. Happy Elf Smilie

What disaster befell Gondor in TA 1636-7 Question Smilie
The plague that came on an east wind and killed the royal house, which is how we got the Stewards. Which incidentally means Gondor was ruled by the Stewards nearly as long as by the Kings.
Correct Morambar and you did wait the required 24 hours, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to the land of Ard-galen after its destruction by Morgoth (Battle of Sudden Flame), and what did it mean in English Question Smilie
Thanks, Grondy; I'm more proud of the discipline than anything else. ;-p After that UR reread last week (can't talk about Cirion the Steward without a mention of how the Stewards came to power) it took an act of will.
It was called Dor-nu-Fauglith and Anfauglith

it means ' The Green Region'
Okay Elessar Lossëhelin, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Ard-galen does mean the 'Green Region', and I wanted Anfauglith, but I also wanted its meaning, which is the 'Gasping Dust'. I guess I asked the question wrongly or you interpreted it other than I meant. Moving on ...

How many brothers and sisters did Bilbo have Question Smilie For extra credit of one Pseudo-Silmaril each, can you name them Question Smilie
This is a bit of a trick question me thinks. Bilbo being my (Mungo's) grandson I know that he didn't have any siblings. Even though it is said that he takes in his "nephew" Frodo, it is just not the proper terminology. Frodo is not the son of Bilbo's sibling he is my brother Largo's great-grandson. But you should know better than to ask a hobbit about his family tree, you'll be sitting here all day listening to me drivel on about my relations.
Shucks, another smart-arse answered this smart-arse's smart-arsed question. Mungo gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Name the horse that Eomer lent to Legolas and Gimli Question Smilie
I'm actually not 100% sure of this one, but I'll say Frealaf, and hope I don't have to provide funky accent, since I don't even know which vowel it's above.
No it was Arod that Eomer lent to Legolas and Gimli, and Aragorn had lent to him Hasufel Big Smile Smilie
Elessar Lossëhelin has it with Arod, (not to be confused with A-Rod, who played for the Mariners and Rangers, and now plays for the Yankees); so he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Fréaláf was Helm's sister son (nephew) and tenth King of Rohan. During his reign, Saruman came to Isengard and aided the Rohirrim.

In what Age did the Istari arrive at the Grey Havens Question Smilie
Um, the Third? Or is this some kind of trick based on their appearance there with the van of Valinor in the War of the Powers? Officially, I'm going with the the Age "called the Third Age by some." ;-p
The Third Age is what I was looking for Morambar, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who led the army of Nargothrond in the Battle of Tumhalad Question Smilie
It was either Finrod or Turin?? cant remember
Elessar Lossëhelin has got half of it right with Túrin, but Finrod was already dead and his replacement was killed in this battle and Túrin took over from him and then escaped by the skin of his teeth via his fireproof mask. So who took over from Finrod Question Smilie
Well, if you put it that way I guess I'll say Orodreth. So, if I'm right, how do we split the Silmaril?
Naw, seeing as how combined Elessar Lossëhelin and Morambar got it right over two days, I'll give them each a Pseudo-Silmarils. Besides, I don't have the chemical laboratory necessary to equally collect the sublimating vapors from a Pseudo-Silmaril and they are much to hard to split even using a diamond cutter's tool, let alone a diamond cutter. And lazers make them sublimate even faster.

What were Belthil and Glingal Question Smilie
Oh, Grondy I HATE you, how COULD you???! ;-p *patiently waits for the clock to tick down, with club poised for anyone who gets here first* Thanks for the magnanimous award of TWO Psuedo-Silmarils for ONE question. We'll just have to call you the Anti-Solomon. Hmmm, wait, maybe not; it's not flattering when you say it that way. ;-p
Grondy, it wouldnt be a hard thing to cut a Pseudo Silmaril, Pseudo means fake???
Only Grondy knows what the pseudo silmarills are made of. To say they are easy to cut beacuse they aren't real Silmarills is just silly. (While talking about them as they really excist is not silly at all, obviously.)
Elf Winking Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>