Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Belthil and Glingal were two trees designed by the king of Gondor in memory of the two trees in Valinor
Lemaly Orangeflower has it correct except as to time and location, but I will assume she meant Gondolin rather the Gondor, it being merely the slip of the tongue. Turgon was the king who wrought them: Glingal from gold in remembrance of Laurelin and Belthil from silver in remembrance of Telperion. So she gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Merry's mother Question Smilie
His mum was Esmeralda Took, plus i reckon she's Thain Paladin the seconds sister.
I should have lain in wait, but I was too tired, sigh. And I knew where the trees were, too, doggone it, as well as that my favorite character made them. *beats Lemaly Orangeflower* ;-p
Etharion has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Barad-dűr called in Orkish Question Smilie

Why is it "Orkish" instead of "Orcish" or "Orchish", other than that's the way Tolkien spelled it in Appendix F of LotR ?
'Tappears no one else wants to look up answers any more than I (awfully sporting of us, no?) You win, Grondy; think you're gonna have to tell us. Guess we need a "How to Speak the Black Tongue of Mordor" thread. ;-p
I'd be more than happy to look it up if I could think of where to look. I mean besides reading the whole mess of books over again (which I do regularly) but it may take a while to find the right passage. If you can hold out for about 3-6 weeks I'll come up with something.
Apparently it's simpler than I thought; the name I THOUGHT was Orkish for Minas Morgul was in fact for Barad-dur. But now I've looked it up, so never mind. Oh, and apparently there IS a "How to Speak the Black Speech" site, complete with lessons. Go fig....
Barad-dűr = Lugb˙rz and is found in TTT, Book 3, third page of Chapter III. Read Smilie

Who journeyed to Morgoth's throne disquised as a great wolf and a vampire-bat Question Smilie
OK, now this I can do: Beren and Luthien, respectively.

I don't how I got it in my head that Lugburz=Minas Morgul, but I did. :8)
Morambar has the correct answer and another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the odd man out: Dßin, Dior, Glˇin, Mţm, Telchar Question Smilie
Dior? He's not a dwarf...
Yeah, but I'm still not convinced Petty Dwerrows are true Dwerrows. Just don't ask me what they ARE. I always thought it was cute how TSR managed to be so pervasive in their plagiarism and give us the Gully Dwarves along with the classic ripoff. :P
Yes Etharion has the right one and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Sauron's temple dome in Numenor turn black Question Smilie
Can i have a try or should i wait a turn Grondy? Smile Smilie
Hozabout this: I'll post an answer that can probably use some help or further explanation and you can add it?

My answer is this.. Sauron was burning stuff on an altar in the midst of the temple and it was that burning that caused the roof to become black in colour. I think it may have been the wood of Nimloth that was burned, but I'm not sure.
The only thing to really add is that 1) I believe the dome had already turned back from the smoke of human sacrifice and 2) Nimloths burning caused it to crack. Further correction, anyone?
Etharion: You must wait 24 hours after I post the next question, when you answered the last one correctly, unless a third question gets posted because that next one got answered. Normally though, I only post one question daily.

Mungo's answer is close enough for the pretty bauble; though the others supplement it with better detail.

Who was Gimli's father Question Smilie
Ah our short friend... He's the son of Gloin , from Durin's line i belive. Aye?
Yeah! Gimli, son of Gloin.
Etharion has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What island was renamed Tol-in-Gaurhoth, and what did it mean Question Smilie
That would be the name of Tol Sirion after its capture by Sauron. Tol-in-Gaurhoth means "Isle of Werewolves".
That is correct FionwŰ urion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel, and whom did she marry Question Smilie
Celebrian married Elrond. Which means Eldarion can make an additional claim over the union of all three Houses of the Edain and all three Elven kindreds: as great-grandson Finarfin and great-great grandson of great-great-great-great-grandson of Fingolfin he unites all extant Houses of the Noldorin princes since the House of Feanor died with Celebrimbor. If only Galadriel had blown off Celeborn.... Miss me? ;-p
Just exactly what is a Pseudo-Silmaril?
That would be telling. It's Grondys baby, and a saga of an epic work approaching Feanors in both ardour and ardure. And besides, I don't know it, even I did briefly have a few, sigh.
Yeah, uh what's up with having them briefly? How much are they worth, if anything, or do they just give you bragging rights?
I think it's up to the person receiving the simaril whether or not they brag about it...however, there are some questions that must remain unanswered, and I think that what they simarils are made out of is definately one of them. Big Smile Smilie
Pseudo-Silmarils are only good for bragging rights. As I remember Loni said she had her twenty-plus strung as a necklace, though I don't know how she did it, because due to an irreparable flaw in the manufacturing process: they sublimate upon being awarded. Thus they have neither monetary value nor physical substance, being merely the product of my imagination. A 'pretty bauble' is synonomus with 'Pseudo-Silmaril'. Plastic Squirrel used to award 'cuddly badgers' which were also imaginary.

Morambar has the correct answer and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

On which two European languages were Quenya and Sindarin respectively based Question Smilie
I always assumed Psuedo-Silmarils are made of thiotimoline, which Google. And I believe Quenya was designed by the Professor as a child to be "Elf Latin" while Sindarin is based on Finnish. Now to check the clock and see if I have to delete this. ;-p

Edit: Yea! Made it by two whole hours. Assuming my memory of it being Latin and Finnish is correct. Here's a Wiki on thiotimoline, the best candidate for the composition of Psuedo-Silmarils, for those kiddies who missed the classic scientific paper. ;-p

Wikipedia on "The Endochrinic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline"
Finnish and Welsh was what I was after, but according to Tolkien's Letter 144 to Naomi Mitchison, Latin and Greek also got into his act. So I'll buy into Morambar's answer and award him the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Little did I realize my efforts at Alchemy had created, on a parallel path, an already existing substance. I reckon I must be magnanimous and allow Issac Asimov full credit for it, as he published his scientific paper when I was still in my second year of elementary school. Easy come, easy go. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

For whom did the Dwarves make the Nauglamir Question Smilie
they made it for Finrod Felagund, it is otherwise known as 'The Necklace of the Dwarves'
Correct Elessar LossŰhelin, you get another pretty bauble for your collection. Happy Elf Smilie

What kind of creature was called 'thoron' in Sindarin Question Smilie
that would be an eagle.
Correct Lemaly Orangeflower, another Pseudo-Silmaril to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was Tom Bombadil's mother-in-law Question Smilie
The River-woman (probably just a lesser Maia servant of Ulmo's).

Apparently Tom Bombadil wasn't good enough for the daughter of the Lady of the Lake. Still, he was lucky not to end up with the daughter of the Pond-hag.
Uinen, Osse' wife.
Yup, that Pond-hag was a real nag as I remember: Take out the garbage. Tuck in your shirt. You never take me anywhere. Get your muddy shoes off the sofa. No, you can't go out with the boys tonight. Orc Grinning Smilie

Virumor gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What title was given to Gimli after the War of the Ring Question Smilie
Off the top of my head I'm going to guess "elf-friend", but I have a feeling that there is an actual title that you are looking for. Will have to look it up. Read Smilie
Aye he was called "elf-friend", and also "lockbearer", and he became Lord of The Glittering Caves of Aglarond.
'Lord of The Glittering Caves of Aglarond' is what I was looking for, so Etharion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the Onodrim Question Smilie
The ents! Finally something I don't have to look up. Smile Smilie
You got it Mungo, and the pretty bauble to boot. Happy Elf Smilie

For how many ages was Melkor/Morgoth imprisoned in Valinor Question Smilie
Melkor was sentenced to imprisonment in the inescapable halls of Mandos for three ages, at the end of which, his cause would be retried.
Correct FionwŰ Urion, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the Elendili Question Smilie
I would expect them to be Anarion and Isildur, though that doesn't make my expectation correct.
The Elendili were a group of N˙menˇreans who continued their friendships with the Elves. Their leader was Elendil and they were called the Faithful for their obedience to the Valar....later, they went on to create the D˙nedain and the kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor.
Lemaly Orangeflower has it in a nut shell, so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

On what hill did Boromir try to take the Ring from Frodo Question Smilie
50/50 shot, right? I'll say Amon Hen.
Correct Morambar, because Amon Lhaw was on the other (east) side of the river. You get the pretty bauble.

How many toes did Treebeard have on each foot Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>