Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Me thinks Morambar needs to get out of the South and head up north to the colder climes, to say Minnesota or Michigan, and find himself a warm-blooded girlfriend In Love Smilie who doesn't have a southern drawl and doesn't sweat at night.

Etharion has the secret word: "parlour" and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was cast over the Caragdűr in Gondolin, at Turgon's command Question Smilie
Edit: duh, right, sorry. It's late....
Eol i think
You got it Golden_red, and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

Who 'lived on a slimy island of rock' in the middle of a lake under the Misty Mountains Question Smilie
That would be the infamous Gollum. It's been almost a week since I last was able to get on,(inhales deeply) it feels good to be back.
You got the correct answer FionwŰ Urion, the Pseudo-Silmaril, and a welcome back. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Boromir advise the Fellowship to take with them to the Redhorn Gate Question Smilie
Ten more minutes!! hope no one else decides to answer in the next few minutes.Look Around Smilie
Oh goody, I beat everyone to the punch.Orc Grinning Smilie
Firewood
What is the deal with the times on each post, mine are messed up. I'm posting this at 11:16 Pm, April 13, yet look at the time it says this was posted. All of my posts are like that, way ahead.Elf Confused Smilie
At a guess, I'd say it's because you live in the same time zone as me, CDT, rather than in Britains GDT (I assume it's referred to as "Greenwich Daylight Time" at the moment, yes?) Maybe if Planet Tolkien was "TEXAS' Largest Tolkien Site" you'd be more in alignment. ;-p Anyway, well done; I totally blanked on it, but at least this time I wasn't so tired I confused Eol and Maeglin....
You got the correct answer FionwŰ Urion; however you stretched the rule: you're supposed to wait 24 hours after I post the next question rather than since you posted the last the correct answer. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Howsomever, I'll let you have the pretty bauble anyway, for I'm a happy camper today, Happy Elf Smilie because I just finished my Federal Income Tax Return and get a couple grand back instead of owing de gumint any more o mi munny.

Who killed Aredhel Question Smilie
Um, I believe that would be Eol again, no? And congrats and enjoy, Grondy.
Morambar has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

From which Vala did Gandalf learn pity and endurance beyond hope Question Smilie
It was in the house of %^$ú*& if my mind remembers correctly??

edit: ooops i didnt wait 24 hours doh, ive replaced my answer with these random signs

the only way i can get the answer in, is when i cheat Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Well had you had the correct answer, you could have guessed this one, for the 24 hour rule only applies if you correctly guessed the last question.
nienna i think
oh right, okay then, well i did put Nienna not lying, Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Golden_red got there first with the correct answer and has been awarded the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

When did Sam realize that Frodo wasn't dead from the spider-venom Question Smilie
Ah well, that would be in Shelob's tunnels when he overheard the two orcs talking about it behind the secret stone door. It was dark and he couldnt find a way in at first.
Close enough Etharion, it was when Shagrat told Gorbag that when Shelob bound victums, she was after meat, which she only ate alive by draining them through a straw, so Frodo was still alive. Etharion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened when Frodo tried to cast the Ring into his fire Question Smilie
Um, very little. It got really hot and the inscription became visible, like it was when Isildur cut it from Saurons finger. I seem to recall some reluctance to actually throw it in, too; I wonder if it would have been possible without the envelope (which of course quickly turned to char) between Bearer and Bearee. Oh, and Gandalf drew it out with a pair of tongs, at which point it began to rapidly cool, IIRC. That good enough? Or did I misremember so much I invalidated the few points I got right?
Well actually...there was a lot of reluctance. He didnt want to throw it in at all! Gollum had to "help" him by biting his finger off. Smile Smilie
Well... It was Gandalf that actually threw the Ring into Frodo's ("his") fire in order to bring out the readability of its inscription. Frodo's fire was not hot enough to raise the Ring's temperature enough to make holding it unbearable, in fact it was still quite cool. While when Isildur cut the Ring from Sauron's finger, it was so hot it 'scortched Isildur's hand'; this was written in the ancient records Gandalf found in Minith Tirith. So this answer is incorrect. Orc Sad Smilie

Likewise, The fiery 'Cracks of Doom' on Orodruin must be considered as Sauron's fire, not Frodo's; thus the Gollum bitten finger answer is also incorrect. Orc Sad Smilie

So the question remains:

What happened when Frodo tried to cast the Ring into his fire Question Smilie
Well, I guess in that case what happened was HE tried to do it was he couldn't, and Gandalf had to do it for him. I'm still not convinced the fire wasn't hot enough to heat the ring past the point where one could stand touching it, only that it cooled rapidly. On the other hand, given the density of gold I don't see how it's heat capacity could be low enough to let it cool that much so rapidly, so maybe it was some eldritch self preservation property that kept the Ring cool to the touch. I assumed you were just going for the revelation of the inscription (since that was what Gandalf sought as conclusive) but if you want the bit about Frodo just not being able to part with dear Bilbos precious heirloom (yeah, right) we can go with that and Gandalf having to "assist" him (note, by the way, that since Gandalf knew it wouldn't destroy the Ring there was no similar forbearance on his part.)

All of which has been neatly established by this point; if you want more than that you'll have to give the gem to someone else, as I don't feel right looking up answers to questions designed to test ones arcane knowledge. *crosses fingers*
Yes, this was after they read the inscription and had verified that it was the One Ring. Frodo reprimanded Gandalf for not having told him earlier to do away with the Ring if he had known then that it was so dangerous. Gandalf said Frodo couldn't damage it or even throw it away and challenged him to throw it into the hottest part of the fire. Frodo with every intention of doing so, found he couldn't do it, try as he might; the Ring ended up back in his pocket.

RE the heat adsorption of the Ring: Gandalf left it on the coal for quite a while, long enough for normal gold to grow hot. He retrieved it from the coals with tongs, not because it was hot but to keep from touching it again, now that he knew what it was. Directly he told Frodo it was quite cool and dropped it onto Frodo's palm.

Anyway, Morambar has finally come up with the answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who slew Uldor the Accursed Question Smilie
that would be Maglor
Correct Lemaly Orangeflower, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In what city was Rath Dinen Question Smilie
Minas Tirith. This one seems familiar; I wanna say I answered "Gondor" last time, only to be reminded Gondor is a realm, not a city.
Well Morambar, it proves you are learning. Teacher Smilie And since you had the correct answer this time, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the odd man out: caran, celeb, falas, mal, nim Question Smilie
Okay, so nobody has the books handy or doesn't want to bother. I won't give the answer in case someone wants to take the extra effort to answer it, and I'll post a new puzzle for the rest of you.

How many teeth did Gollum have Question Smilie

(Grondy edited this to correct the misspelling of Gollum's name.) Orc Sad Smilie
Dunno; what's a "Golum?" ;-p IIRC GolLum had three, but I likely don't. As to the other I'm ashamed to confess I forgot it after it got dropped from the sidetabs, and have a hard time telling given my language knowledge, but I'll say "mal" because I can't recall it being used in a place name. I'm kinda itching to know that one, actually.
welli have 'tried' to figure out the odd one out and it would be Mal as the rest are accosiated with the elves whereas the Mal has some origination with the Dunedain? that right?

we cant let you be the supreme overlord of book knowledge you know?? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I always heard 'mallorn' was an Elven name meaning 'gold-tree', so that isn't the odd one. Keep trying. Happy Elf Smilie

Yup I misspelled Gollum who had a few more teeth than three. Try again. A big Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie to the both of us.

What do the letters 'IIRC' signify and what is the meaning of Morambar's usage of them? This won't get you a pretty bauble as only his hairdresser knows. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Dunno; thought of that, too, but couldn't think of a tree tie in for caran or falas. I'm only familiar with the one in the name of one of the Seven Sons of Feanor and the other in the Falas and the Faladrim, and they were mariners of the bay named, I(f) I R(ecall) C(orrectly,) "bay."
Hint: Now consider common Tolkien words with beginnings similar to 'caran', 'celeb' and 'nim' and see if you can suss from their translations any common denominator with the other two. Teacher Smilie
so you are saying that it could be either Caran, Celeb or Nim?? okay ill edit this when ive done some research on it Big Smile Smilie

edit: okay heres what i got,

Caran is short for Caranthir; the fourth on of Feanor

Celeb is short for many things but it can be The River Celebrant

Nim is short for The River Nimrodel and The River Celebrant meets The River Nimrodel

So it could be Caran as the odd one out as the other two are rivers?? but then again it couldnt be Caran as that is to do with the other elven names Falas and Mal and Celeb (which the elves called the silverlode) and that is to do with Nim as its the river of the lost Elf Maiden ITS ALL TO DO WITH ELVES!!! hmm you are clever Grondy, but ill go with what i said before which was Caran as the other 2 are rivers, im so brain tired now Smile Smilie
You're trying too hard. What I was suggesting was to think of a bunch of words that started with each of the the puzzle words (or at least the first three or four letters) to come up with the definition for each puzzle word. From there you should be able to solve the puzzle.

The current question remains: How many teeth did Gollum have Question Smilie
I changed my guess to falas, and then checked it online: I wasn't aware Nimrodels name had a color element in it, but it apparently does (though evidently "falas" is "coast" not "bay," sorry. ) However, coast or bay it's NOT a color, unlike (presumably) red headed Caranthir, the golden mallorn or the Silverlode (or the Silver Tree of Eressea/Lorien, if one prefers.)

With regard to Gollum, I'll double my previous guess and say six. *goes off to learn more Sindarin*
Hooray, Morambar gets two pretty baubles for 'six' and the non-color 'falas'. Happy Elf Smilie

Was Mahtan 1) a Rohirrim horse, 2) a Dwarven smith of Belegost, 3) the place of council of the Valar, 4) a Noldorin Elf, 5) the sword of T˙rin Turambar Question Smilie
My guess is 4) a Noldorin Elf Smile Smilie
Correct Mellon, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where was Aragorn raised Question Smilie
well worth a stab Big Smile Smilie but this i do know, Aragorn was raised in Rivendell Orc Smiling Smilie
Loss gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer.

In what battle did King ThÚoden die Question Smilie
Really...is this necesary....? Theoden king died in the battle of The Pellenor Fields, right in Minas Tirith's front yard.
Well earlier in the week I gave a couple harder ones so I felt some easier ones might be apropos. Elf Winking Smilie Anyway, Etharion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the easy answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were L˙thien's parents Question Smilie
Elwe Singollo (Thingol Greycloak) and Melian.

And Theoden actually died in the Battle of PelenNor Fields. Trickier than it looked, eh? ;-p I only know that because the natural tendency in English is, I think, "Pellenor" so I checked long ago to correct myself.
You're correct on all aspect this time Morambar so one pretty bauble coming up. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Gandalf to lay aside his staff.
Grima wormtongue
You might want to reconsider that.
Hßma.
Awww, poor Mellon, somebody else ran away with the pseudo-Silmaril.

Better luck next time!
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>