Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Yes it was Maydmarion, so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Describe Elendil's banner. Question Smilie
big and wavy
Um... sure hope it's the same as Aragorns at the Pelennor, though I fear it might not be. Aragorn later added the rampant destrier though (what's the heraldic color for white?) I believe. The banner I have in mind is one of sable, with the White Tree worked on it in mithril, and the Seven Seeing Stones represented in an arc above it also in mithril, the one born at Pelennor being woven, of course, by Arwen (this gift, as we've recently discussed elsewhere, WAS sent to Aragorn, while in the books Anduril was reforged when the Fellowship left Imladris, as was only natural when the King rode to war.) I don't recall any other device, nor any other banner unique to Elendil, for whatever that's worth.
Elendil's banner was big, black and had the words "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!" woven on it, in gold letters.
i would think that it would be something simple and representing the alligance between him and Gil-Galad
That's close enough, Morambar,though it also had a silver crown and the seeing stones were were seven stars. Anyway, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Legolas feel air throbbing in his ears Question Smilie
Thought the crown was there, but couldn't remember (thought the Stones as stars was implicit, but can now see how they wouldn't be.) Always liked that banner, which, IIRC, the Tolkien Companion has on its cover (or anyway, SOME hardbound Middle-earth reference I checked out in HS does; I remember because I didn't get fined even though I took it to a football game, hit the urinals at HT, and suddenly it was pouring rain, so when I got back the book was soaked pretty badly. Sorry....)
Was it throbbing in Fangorn, I thought he said that the wood was so old and dense it was throbbing in his ears. I don't know if I remember correctly.
No, this happened a few days latter, about three if I remember rightly. Happy Elf Smilie
Hmmmm, thought it was entering Fangorn, too, but if that's not the case, I'll say it was when passing through the brand new forest of Huorns after the Battle of Helms Deep (fine, Battle of the Hornburg, we all know what it is, whatever it's technically called.)
Okay Morambar, this time you got it; have a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie Sorry I can't give you a real one, but that Fëanor fellow took the recipe off to the Halls of Mandos with him. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Why did Maeglin hate Tuor so much Question Smilie
He was jealous. Maeglin loved Idril, but she loved Tuor and married him. Wasn't that so?
Also because Tuor was human.
Quote:
Maeglin loved Idril, but she loved Tuor and married him.

Ahh, the impossible, Wertherian love that Maeglin felt for Idril! One of my favourite topics.

For those interested, there's more on this subject in my fanfic The sorrows of young Maeglin.
Amarië has the answer and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Ithildin Question Smilie
that stuff in the moria gate? the shiny stuff? or i guess it only shined when the moon or starts or something hit it but anyway...
it was made from mithril? i dont know..
Actually you did know Elrose, you have three of the four possible parts of the answer, the other is that it was the Elves that made it. Anyway, Elrose gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What is the name of the plain that lies between Isenmouthe and Cirith Gorgor Question Smilie
Nan Curinur?
No Morambar, you may have been bitten by an anomaly in Tolkien's naming scheme, in my reckoning anyway. I have always thought the Isenmouthe should be located where the River Isen (R. Angren) dumps into The Great Sea (Belegaer) instead of being located in northwestern Mordor, where Frodo and Sam finally escaped from the Squad of Orcs who were marching to do battle with the Captains of the West.
I'll try Dagorlad then, though I tend to be confused by the abortive attempt to enter the Morannon before the journey to Cirith Ungol.

Apparently I'm confused by typing on occasion, too....
Udûn.
Now you are too far north. If you enter the Morannon and the travelled southeast to the Isenmouthe you would travel across the landscape of the question.

Hint: a four letter word that doesn't start with S or F. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Virumor got it while I was preparing my geography lesson. Virumor gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the odd man out: 'No Stone Unturned', 'Roast Mutton', 'On the Doorstep', 'Flies and Spiders', 'A Short Rest' Question Smilie
Roast mutton?
Third edit: Going back to my original response because I think A Short Rest is the Beorn chapter, and I KNOW all the other chapters save No Stone Unturned are in The Hobbit. And besides that, when double checked with a search for it in chapter titles of The Hobbit the first thing I found was:

Last Time Grondy Asked This Question Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
'No Stone Unturned' is the answer for the reason Morambar stated; though 'A short Rest' is the Rivendell chapter of The Hobbit rather than the Beorn chapter. So Morambar gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Yes, that was a repeat. Sometimes I repeat them more often than the 28 months since I last used that one.

I'd ask what was the name of Smith of Wooton Major's wife, but I don't remember it and can't find my book. So instead I'll ask: What does the Quenya 'Sauron' mean in English Question Smilie
Asking the same question twice in the same decade??!!! Shocked, yes, SHOCKED I am at you, Grondy! ;-p
doo doo head??? (in response to the question not Morambar)
The hated one ? I dont know the exact word to use
I'll accept either of two greater-then-four letter A-words that generally mean the same as Mellon's above answer.
amazingly archful
Of course Wink SmilieI think Elrose got it
I knew it was something by the lines of hated...evil one...cruel...but i looked it up for the EXACT meaning...(hope your not mad Wink Smilie ), and its "The Abhorred". Aye?
Aye, that and Abominable are the accepted answers so Etharion gets the Pseudo-Silmarillion. Happy Elf Smilie

Who did Gimli mistake for Saruman. Question Smilie
I believe you are looking for Gandalf
Correct again Caudimordax, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were eating mutton when Thorin's Company came upon them Question Smilie
The trolls.
The Three Stooges.
No, it was Bert , Ernie, and Kermit. Not that's not right; it was Bert, Tom, and William Huggins, the three trolls as Morambar said, so he gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel, and whom did she marry Question Smilie
i thought there was something about arwen being related too Galadriel so could it be Elronds wife?
i have no idea
I think we should make him come up with a name. Oh, wait, I didn't supply names either (I always forget Tom.... :P ) But Elronds wife seems to have been named after her daddy, so I always remember her. Well done, anyway.
Someone needs to come up with her name, for Elrose only gets the pretty half of the bauble for his answer of Elrond. So who was Elrond's wife, the mother of Arwen?

Celebrian , wasnt that her name ?
Yes it was Mellon, you get the other half of Elrose's bauble, it's almost as pretty. Happy Elf Smilie

What treasure did Bilbo take home from Smaug's hoard Question Smilie
I don't remember him taking anything. I thought he just took the trolls treasure on the way home. The journey from the Lonely Mountain was too far for him to take anything. I think. I haven't read it in a year.
Thorin gave him a mithril shirt from the hoard of treasure... I can't remember what else??
I think it was two little coffins/boxes .One filled with silver the other one filled with gold
Mellon has the answer I was looking for, the chest of silver and the chest of gold so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

However, because technically, Bilbo's Mithril shirt also came from Smaug's hoard that counts too, so Tinúviel also gets a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What creature was called 'thoron' in Sindarin Question Smilie
Eagle?
Correct Etharion, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was Tom Bombadil carrying when Frodo and Sam found him Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>