Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
What you talking about Loss? The 24 hour rule only applies if you correctly answered the previous question, which Virumor hasn't done for ages. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
The Battle of Bywater, perhaps?
oh correctly, I see now, but as the clocks went back he could have posted an hour or less before the question was given, I thought that was quite clever............ Orc Smiling Smilie
Aldaradan has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

When I said 'correctly' I meant most of Virumor's recent answers have been meant as humour. They missed the correctness mark by such a distance that they exceeded the margin of error for a guess, especially for a Tolkien expert of Virumor's caliber.Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Thus they have been considered as a laughable material rather than legitimate guesses.

Where did Bilbo discover Sting?
In the Trolls' cave or house, whichever it was.
It was their cave, so Fionw gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Bilbo first steal from the dragon-hoard Question Smilie
big diamond... ...arg... ...dont remember what is called
It was some kind of golden pot...possibly a goblet or trophey, and i think it was filled with coines..
A large two-handled goblet, I think.
Fionw has the correctest (most correct) answer, but as he answered too soon I'll award the Pseudo-Silmaril to Etharion whose earlier answer wasn't as concise, but I understood what he meant by his 'trophy'. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Which ruler of men, whose kingdom bordered on the Misty Mountains, was to become one of Sauron's most trusted servants Question Smilie
Sorry, didn't look at the times.
I suppose the answer is Witch-King of Angmar.
You suppose right Virumor; another pretty bauble to you. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Gandalf have difficulty in opening the West-door of Khazad-dm :questiom:
I ought to know this Grondy ..but here goes .Gandalf didn't see the door and the inscription upon it at first because the words were invisible but when they appeared Gandalf tried every password he knew /in any languages )and said "speak friend and enter "but then he finally realized ( with help from Merry I )that he had to say "MELLON "the elvish word for friend
And here was I thinking he said "Melon" because he was hungry, but luck as it may, it was also the password to Khazad-Dm!
Or, could it be because he went into Moria from the East the previous time and not through the West Door, and thus didn't know how to open the West Door.
"Friend" has it and the pretty bauble to boot! Happy Elf Smilie Gandalf had misinterpeted the inscription.

What were the three Dwarf-realms mentioned in Elven histories, and under what mountain ranges had they been delved Question Smilie
Quote:
And here was I thinking he said "Melon " because he was hungry ..
Vir, you made my day !! Big Laugh Smilie
Okay, it has been twenty-four hours, you may guess now. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Belegost (Ered Luin ) and Nogrod (Ered Lindon ) in the Blue Mountains and of course Khazad-dm in the Misty Mountains
You got 'em all Mellon; have a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which river joined the Anduin between the Falls of Rauros and Cair Andros Question Smilie
The R. Entwash, I believe is the answer. You know, the map in the front of the book is very difficult to make out in parts. I'm hoping that's the answer you're looking for, 'cause I can think of another one that might be the correct answer, and I'm beginning to have doubts.
No Fionw, the Entwash is the answer I was looking for; so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

By what other name was the plant athelas known, and what was its chief virtue Question Smilie
Ioreth didn't know, though she thought it smelled.....wholesome.
kingsfoil
Correct Gud, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In the Second and Third Ages of the Sun, where did Cirdan the Shipwright live Question Smilie
He lived in the Blue Mountains in Lindon???
Sorry Elessar, that's not specific enough.
Mithlond.
Yes, Mithlond = The Grey Havens, so Virumor gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What false name did Frodo adopt when he set out for Rivendell Question Smilie
Mr Underhill Happy Elf Smilie (Sir ,you also posted this question April 6th this year )
Correct and correct Mellon. Happy Elf Smilie I also used it on 19th July 2004, but we wouldn't have known this if we hadn't used our Search function, now would we? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I'd rather you looked the answers up in the book instead of doing computer Serching Smilie searches for them. And as I had already announced: I often, or usually, repeat the questionslike after five years of running this thread, coming up with new original questions is a real pain in the neck. Wiggle Smilie

Anyway, Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what was Herugrim Question Smilie
Quote:
But we wouldn't have know this haven't we used our Search funchtion now would we ?

Back then and also this time I knew the answer Sir Happy Elf Smilie
theyoden's sword
Good on you Mellon, it is nice that you haven't lost your memory in these your elder years. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie I only nod-off in mineknock on woodof cource I've got a forty year head start on you.

Master Gud has the answer to this last question; though I haven't seen that particular spelling; is it from the West Canadian translation? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What sword did Gandalf take from the Trolls' cave Question Smilie
GlamdringHappy Elf Smilie
Mellon gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What colour was the front door of Bag End Question Smilie
green
Right your are Gud; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the mother-in-law and the father-in-law of Nimloth of Doriath Question Smilie
Luthien and Beren ?
Correct again Mellon, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who felt Sauron looking for him on the summit of Amon Hen Question Smilie
Frodo?
Yes Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where was the Nauglamir made Question Smilie
It was made in Menegroth I think, by the Dwarfes from Belegost .They had been invited by Thingol to make it out of the treasure Hrin Thalion brought with him to Doriath..
But it was made first for Finrod Felagund by the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, in Nargothrond is my guess, although it doesn't explicitly say where. The Nauglamir was remade, and the Silmaril was put into it at Menegroth.

Yay, my 200th post.
Jumping Flame Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Wiggle Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Super Wow Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Juggling Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Pary Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Juggling Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Super Wow Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Wiggle Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie
Fionw has the more complete answer: It, 'The Necklace of the Dwarves' was originally fabricated (probably in Nargothrond) by the Dwarven craftsmen of Norgrod and/or Belegost (unless they took it back home to finish it there after or while they were finishing Nargothrond).
Quote:
It was a carcanet of gold, and set therein were gems uncounted from Valinor; but it had a power within it so that it rested lightly on its wearer as a strand of flax, and whatsoever neck it clasped it sat always with grace and loveliness.
Later it was taken to Menegroth where Beren's Silmaril was added it. Anyway it seems this was a bad question, but Fionw still gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose purse could talk Question Smilie
Not mine ..empty as usualBig Laugh Smilie
Gollum's purse, when he had his set of teeth in there. When Tolkien taken breaks when he originally written Gollum's parts, Gollum would purely put them back in Orc Grinning Smilie
That would be the troll's purse, I believe. William's?
Yup, Amari gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for her answer of William (Bill) Huggins. Happy Elf Smilie

Where did Nmo live, and what was his role Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>