Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Ah shucks, Celebrian couldn't be tricked, so she gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose symbol was a white swan-ship on a blue field Question Smilie
galadriel
No, it wasn't hers. Sorry, try again.
Dol Amroth
Mellon has it and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

What land did Legolas help restore to its former beauty after the War of the Ring Question Smilie
The land of Ithilien, home and realm (kinda) of Faramir and his wife. I couldn't remember the spelling of her name, how embarassing.
Yes I found that at the tail end of Appendix A of LotR and her name was owyn.
Fionw Urion gets the Pseudo-Silmaril Happy Elf Smilie

What tragic figure was known as Thalion the Steadfast Question Smilie
Hurin

-Meneldur, new to the forums Elf Winking Smilie
Meneldur has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who defeated whom in the Battle of the Camp Question Smilie
Earnil and his army defeated the Wainriders while they were having a victory party.
Correct Celebrian, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Why did Ulmo command Turgon to leave armor and a sword in his house in Nevrast Question Smilie
So that Turgon would recognize the wearer (eventually to be Tuor) as Ulmo's messenger, when the doom of Gondolin was near.
That's the answer Meneldur, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name was given to the Eldar who were 'not of Aman' Question Smilie

Umanyar (Just read about that.)
You got it Celebrian, and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In what year of the Third Age did Isildur plant a seedling of the White Tree in Minas Anor Question Smilie
The 2nd year
That was when Celebrian, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What does "Mordor" mean in English Question Smilie
Black Land
Gud has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

How did Fingolfin and his people return to Middle-earth from Valinor Question Smilie
They crossed the Helcarax on foot, after being stranded in northern Aman when Fanor burned the ships of the Teleri at Losgar.
Dang, I'm always getting here too late now! maybe I should try getting on more often...
Meneldur has the answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which is the odd man out: Oss, Manw, Ilmar, Olrin, Eonw Question Smilie
He's not in your list...but I think Fionw is "odd man out" since he keeps missing his chance to answer the questions, LOL!!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Osse?
Manw since he is Lord of the Valar and not a Maia?
Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

I know no one will know the answer to the following, because few have read Smith of Wootton Major, but on the off chance:

When the fay-star fell out of Smith's mouth, what did he do with it Question Smilie
Do you doubt our knowledge Grondy??? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie I couldn't remember off heart but after looking it up:

Smith caught the Fay-Star in his hand and because it looked like it was going to fly away, he clapped his hand to his head and it stayed in his forehead for many years...
ACK!!!! We're not supposed to look this stuff up, Grondy is testing our knowledge not our search engines. Elf Winking Smilie
What??? I didn't use a search engine (that's cheating)... I tried to remember it off heart, but couldn't... but I agree with Grondy, alot of people havn't read those writings so I looked it up in my own copy of "Tales OT Perilous Realm", and that's allowed so you're wrong there Orc Smiling Smilie
Yes, Loss gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Note: Using your eyes to manually search through your own copies of the books is approved as you might pick up a couple other tid-bits while doing so; however, searching the web or the forum for the answers is frowned upon.

Who was Gimli's father Question Smilie
Easy one.... Smile Smilie Glin

P.S. Yes I figured looking in the books was okay, I was just busting your chops Elessar. Especially since that one was such an off-the-wall question, outside LOTR and all. Elf Smilie
Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie We must all find out sometime how the game is played, but you are new here so be glad it was now and not later Orc Smiling Smilie Thanks Grondy...
Meneldur gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Oh, and our other rule in this game is when you answer the question correctly you must wait 24 hours after the next question is posted before trying to answer it, unless of course that question gets answered correctly by someone else and a third question is posted within your 24 hour period, then that third question is fair game for you. This is toward sharing the wealth as it were.

What did Boromir do to arouse the Watcher in the Water Question Smilie

Yup, I knew about the 24-hour rule -- saw it on Page 1 on the thread, and I've been careful to follow it. Well...I've been careful *AND ALSO* sometimes Grondy throws us a real wacky curve-ball of a question that I have no hope of answering anyway, LOL!!! Wink Smilie
He threw a rock/stone into the water???
Yes, Loss gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

By what name did the Rohirrim call Lothlorien Question Smilie
Dwimordene is the name given to Lothlorien by the people of Rohan. It means "haunted valley." The Rohirrim believed that Lothlorien was a place of magic where a sorceress dwelled. The Two Towers: "The King of the Golden Hall," p. 118
Sorry Grondy I had to look this up , but I hope more than me learned somethingSmile Smilie
That's all right Mellon, I wouldn't have known it either and if I had, I still would have wanted to look it up towards having the correct spelling. Anyway, Mellon gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the first story from The Silmarillion to be put on paper Question Smilie
The Fall of Gondolin? (I think...)
That's what I came up with Meneldur, it was started circa 1917 while he was on sick leave from the army. I found this in the 'Introduction to Part One' of Unfinished Tales. So Meneldur gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the Seven Hoards Question Smilie
They were the hoards created by the seven dwarven rings, worn by the seven dwarven kings/lords.
Correct Etharion, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the only Sinda to have seen the Two Trees Question Smilie
Legolas ?
I want to say Thingol, I know he saw the light from the Two Trees in Melian's eyes. Does that count as having seen the Trees?
Thingol did saw the Two trees.
Amari gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for her accidental guess. Happy Elf Smilie As Elw, Thingol went to Valinor as an ambasador, saw the the two trees, and returned. Upon his return he talked the Elven people to relocate to Valinor, but having fallen head-over-heels for Melian he remained and didn't sail with them.

Who wrote the poem 'The Stone Troll' Question Smilie
Bilbo?
Nope, try again.
J.R.R. Tolkien.
Yes, but I want the name of his character to whom the poem was attributed. Happy Elf Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>