Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
lol I answered this one not too long ago. Elbereth Gilthoniel!
Or just Elbereth.
That's okay Fionw, you still get another Pseudo-Silmaril for this answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened when Sam tied the Elven rope around Gollum's ankle Question Smilie
Hint: Like what did Gollum say?
It burns! Nasty elves made it!
Aldaradan gets the Pseudo-Silmaril for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

How did the Ring betray Isildur Question Smilie
As Isildur attempted to flee the orcs by swimming in the Anduin, the Ring slipped from his finger revealing Isildur to the arrows of the rocs.
Me thinks the "rocs" were those giant birds from the Sinbad story; however, knowing that was merely a dyslexian typo, Fionw gets the pretty bauble for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What was an ored Question Smilie
I think it was a group of supporters of Eorl of the Rohirrim.
Not specific enough Sian. It is a military term.
A long time since answering one of Grondy's questions...

It's a Rohirrim fighting force, usually cavalry, composed of men from a Lord's household... Numbers may vary, but Eomer's was composed of 104 men.
Val has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What and where was the Mathom-house Question Smilie
The Mathom House, which took it's name from the hobbits' word for useless or unwanted items, mathom, was located in Michel-Delving. It was used most often for the purposes of a museum, except in the time that Sharkey was in the Shire, when I believe it was used for jail purposes.
Fionw has the correct answer except I don't think the Mathom House was ever used as a jail, they used the Lockholes (also located in Michael Jordon...er...Michel Delving) for that. Anyway Fionw gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you find the 'Odd Man Out' please: Smaug, Carcharoth, Brodda, Gothmog, Ungoliant Question Smilie
It*s Brodda. That's not a monster but an Austring
Correct Mellon, but in my book thats 'Easterling'; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Gollum say tasted like 'dust and ashes' Question Smilie
lembas
Nasty Elven waybread, yes Golden_red gets another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

In Leaf by Niggle, what were the two Voices discussing Question Smilie
Okay, I know the three members who have read this have forgotten where they put their volume containing the short story, so tomorrow I'll post the answer and provide a new one.
I haven't read it, but thanks for giving me a new idea. It looks like the two Voices were discussing his case, how he should be judged. The First Voice thinks Niggle is a complete waste of time; and the Second Voice, which is kinder and more understanding, wins out and helps to send Niggle out on the next phase of his journey.
Yes Eruwen, they were discussing the merits of his past life; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was "Chuenya" Question Smilie
Orc Sad Smilie Sorry, "Chuenya" is so far not found in any of Tolkien's books. If anyone finds it, let me know, for this is the second time I've wrongly used this word in one of these questions.

Grondy gets neither a Pseudo-Silmaril nor an atta-boy on this one. Orc Sad Smilie

So instead try: Who or what was "Arahael: Question Smilie
Arahael was the grandson of King Arvedui. He was the second Chieftain of the rangers.
Val gets the pretty bauble for his correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the Khuzdul (Dwarvish) name for the Dimrill Dale Question Smilie
And the answer is.....Azanulbizar. Nobody gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Orc Sad Smilie

When Frodo was wounded by the Nazgl Lord, what did Aragorn go to fetch Question Smilie
Kingsfoil, as the rustics name it, or athelas in the noble tongue, or to those who know somewhat of the Valinorean asa aranion.
Although, in the movie he not only got some of the herb but he also fetched a beautiful dame. Wink Smilie lol
He fetched a fetching dame, eh what?

Yes Fionw gets the pretty bauble for the correct herb. Happy Elf Smilie

The town of Esgaroth stood on what lake Question Smilie
Well, I can't answer one question yet, but I can answer the other.
Sure, Aragorn fetched a dame as well as the herb. He came back into camp with the herbs and an elven lady, named Arwen. So, he fetched the herb and the dame. lol Wink Smilie
This could happen only in the movies; never in real life. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

And I thought her name was Arwen, not Herb.

Meanwhile the question remains: The town of Esgaroth stood on what lake Question Smilie
um, I think it was called the Long Lake.
That's it Fionw, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What name did Beren give to Lthien and what does it mean in English Question Smilie
Tinuviel - in English Nightingale is the answer.

Somebody read my post earlier today under Tolkien Psychological Wording. Animated Wink Smilie So Rafael gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the relationship between Gollum and Dagol Question Smilie
Brothers is my answer, but I am uncertain.
Close, but no cigar! (They weren't siblings) Try again. Happy Elf Smilie
They were cousins.
Yup, Fionw gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Which chapter of which book begins with: 'Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur.' Question Smilie
HINT: the book was the one Professor Tolkien desired to be published prior to LotR, but the powers that be wanted another book about hobbits instead.
Another hint: I believe it was the first of his books published posthumously as edited by his son, Christopher.
I won't let you give out a third hint Grondy... it would be too easy then Orc Smiling Smilie

It is the first line of the chapter 'Of the Rings of Power and The Third Age' (in which these tales come to their end) of the book 'The Silmarillion'...
And the winner is....Loss, who gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

I took Ulmo's message to Gondolin, and married Turgon's daughter, Idril. Who am I Question Smilie
Tuor son of Huor
Correct Golden_red, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Alqualond means 'Haven of ......' what Question Smilie
Hint: It was a city built on the north coast of Aman by the Teleri and is found in The Silmarillion.
haven of the swans
You got it Golden_red and the pretty bauble too. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what threatened to squeeze Merry in two Question Smilie
I'm going to say Old Man Willow... If not, I have a good idea of who Orc Smiling Smilie
Yes Loss, you have the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the former name of Minas Tirith, and what did it mean Question Smilie
Minas Anor
Tower of the Sun
Correct again Fionw, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said he could eat anything in the wide world right then for hours on end but not an apple Question Smilie
Hint: It was a side effect of barrel riding.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>