Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Bombur...
or something like that, I don't have the book to check my spelling.
Just to throw in another name, I'll go for Thorin Orc Smiling Smilie
Nope, it was neither of those Dwarves; two down and now only eleven to go. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
lol Floin?

...I'm gonna kick myself if it isn't him...

lol
Haha! I'll go for Bilbo instead, you could be tricksing us Grondy... Dwarves are not the only barrel-riding type Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
ROFL That is so funny! I put down Bilbo first in my above post, then changed my mind. Now that you said it, it's gonna be Bilbo! lol
My book doesn't have a Dwarf named Floin and you other guys out psyched yourselves because it really was one of the Dwarves. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Now let me see, in the order of the Dwarves' arrival at the Bilbo's unexpected tea party there were: Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and Thorin. Teacher Smilie
lol I was mixing up Fili and Oin... :/

Ok, um, Balin

...this is hilarious, here we are, a Tolkien website, many of us are quite knowledged in Tolkien lore, and yet none of us can figure out who said a certain line, except of course Grondy... almost sad lol
Ah! Grondy has very cleverly tricksyded us good and proper, he's made us think so much we are running in circles... It was his plan the whole time Moderator SmilieWiggle Smilie

It is amusing, but of course we could find out easily enough... *Itches to flick through The Hobbit* Let's make this interesting... One big Pseudo Silmaril for the peron who guesses right...

Gloin! (The first thing that came to my head) Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Sorry, Elf With a Big Grin Smilie both wrong.
Exploding Head Smilie Disturbed Smilie Bofur
Fili ?
Yes it was Fili, who had had to endure the apple smell that his barrel had previously contained, and as he became so hungry while riding his barrel,that he never again desired an apple to eat for many a day. Golden_red gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What did omer and owyn give Merry as a farewell present Question Smilie
Ooooh, Fionwe and I were having a glorious battle, and Golden Red just jumps in and steals that oh so Psuedo Silmaril from us...

It isn't over Fionwe... I'll be baaaaack *and fades* Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Was it a title given to Merry, Squire of Rohan? Or something similar?
Perhaps a nifty Rohan type of horn?
Tinviel has it and the pretty bauble. It was an heirloom of the Rohirrim from the hoard of Scatha the Worm and Eorl had brought it south with him to Rohan. It was an ancient Dwarven made horn.
Quote:
.....small but cunningly wrought all of fair silver with a baldric of green, and wrights had engraven upon it swift horsemen riding in a line that wound about it from the tip to the mouth; and there were set runes of great virtue. - from 'Many Partings' in RotK

What name was given to the greater Orcs who had no fear of sunlight Question Smilie
Aye Loss, this is not over... I'll be waiting...
mwahahahahaha Very Evil Smilie

"We are the mighty Uruk-hai! We fear no sun!"

I dimly remember something like that in the movie.
Yup, in his book TTT Tolkien wrote:
Quote:
'What of the dawn?' they jeered. 'We are the Uruk-hai: we do not stop the fight for night or day, for fair weather or for storm. We come to kill, by sun or moon. What of the dawn?'
This was in response to Aragorn's hope for what the dawn would bring. Not that the besiegers would quail with the rising of the sun, but that Gandalf would return with succor to lift the siege.

Fieonw gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which member of the Court of Rohan secretly served Saruman Question Smilie
Ooh, ooh, ooh, pick me Sir Grondy Orc Smiling Smilie

It was that Grima Wormtongue... The snake in horse's clothing?
lol
That's right Loss; you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who Sang:
"Cold be hand and heart and bone,
And cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stoney bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead." Question Smilie
I'm goin to say Gollum/Smeagol, that's if it is in the books, I remember him saying it to Frodo and Sam...

Hopefully I'm not inside my 24 hour wait... Wiggle Smilie
Sorry Loss, it wasn't Gollum; so I don't need to check if you were inside or outside the 24 hour rule.

I may give a handy hint tomorrow if still needed. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

So please try again. Happy Elf Smilie
lol Hint not needed! I beat you this time Loss!
Frodo heard the voice chanting those words as he slowly watched the hand of the Barrow-wight crawl towards the sword which lay across the necks of Sam, Merry, and Pippin.

Feonw has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What were the names of the Towers of Teeth Question Smilie
Carchost and Narchost.

I had to look it up though, so does it still count? Elf Smilie
Most certainly, and twice so if you did it in one of Tolkien's books rather than the web or an enclyclopedia. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Tinviel gets the pretty bauble Happy Elf Smilie

In Farmer Giles of Ham, what was served at the King's Christmas Feast in place of "Dragon's Tail" Question Smilie
CHEESEBURGER
Sounds good, but is not the correct answer. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Please try again. Happy Elf Smilie
Hint: It wasn't Mock Turtle soup that Queen Marie suggested her peasants eat.
The answer was a Mock Dragon Tail made of confectionary (and I would have accepted cake)

Who told Frodo that '.....what concerns Boromir concerns me'?
Quote:
Mock Dragon Tail

I knew that, too bad I didn't see this question earlier. Wink Smilie

As for the other question... I'll guess Faramir. Mmmm... Faramir.... I Love You Smilie
Amari has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who said, 'I don't need your service, thank you, but I expect you need mine.' Question Smilie
Beorn ?
That's right Golden_red, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril.

What color were the flutterbys that Bibo saw above the roof of Mirkwood Question Smilie
There is no way for me to find that out, ecept through an internet search, which I think would be cheating.

Pity I didn't see the Giles of Ham question earlier, I knew the answer to that. Sad Smilie I couldn't get on on the 18th because the lag was really bad, there were 1600 people online, or so the meter said.
Hint: They were the same color as the nasty tasting squirrels.
Black
You got it Fionw, and also the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Whose ship was called Alcarondas Question Smilie
Hint: He got himself into deep trouble.
Since no one else has answered, I shall.
Ar-Pharazon the Great, last king of Numenor ere it was destroyed. That was his flag-ship, on which he set sail into the West, and saught to claim the Blessed Land for his own, being deceived by Sauron.

That is without looking it up, too! Orc Grinning Smilie
Good for you Fionw you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who 'munched and mumbled a bare old bone' Question Smilie
Let's see here, 22 hours before I can answer...
darn lol
the troll from sam's rhyme in the fellowship of the ring
Golden_red has it and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

The Mythopoeic Society was devoted to studying the works of which three authors Question Smilie
Hint: The lesser known of the three had a last name that was similar to the first name of one of Bilbo's three Trolls and his first name was similar to the first name of Peanuts anti-hero.
Well considering the thread Tolkien would have to be one, then going on era and genre CS Lewis as another is likely - but I couldn't guess at a third - from the clues maybe Charlie Bert?? More clues please :p

Rednell would know this....
Hint: 42 has the first two members and the less formal form of the third's first name. His last name is the plural of the formal first name of one of the other rwo trolls, he whose last name was Huggins.
Charles Williams?
42 bas the correct third author and the pretty bauble.

Who was Pippin's father Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>