Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
If I am still a sage in the lore of Middle-Earth, Bethil and Glingal are two saplings of the Two Trees, the white and the gold.

And thanks Grondy for the welcome back. Smile Smilie
Well, you have the colors right, but they weren't saplings. Add some more detail.
Are those the two trees that were in Gondolin?
Yes they were, what else can you tell us about these silver and gold colored trees that weren't saplings?
I remember something about the Trees in Gondolin being made by Turgon, they were images of he Two Trees of Valinor. So then Belthil was the one made of silver, in the image of Telperion I think, and Glingal was made of gold, in the image of Laurelin.
That's it exactly Fionw, you get the pretty bauble, Happy Elf Smilie

What number was Ar-Pharazn in the line of the Kings of Nmenor Question Smilie
The twenty-fifth.
Turin's answer is correct though it could also be twenty-fourth, depending on which book you derived your answer. Still he wasn't either the twenty-fourth or the twenty-fifth king as there were three intervening queens. Turin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

In what year was Thrr slain by an Orc in Moria Question Smilie
Hint: Look in Appendix B of LotR
2790 of the third age.
Another pretty bauble for Turin for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What pass was guarded by the Towers of Teeth Question Smilie
the Morannon.
No, the Morannon was the wall that was built across this pass; it contained the Black Gate. Teacher Smilie

Try again.
Hint: Book IV, Chapter 3
Hint: _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ (second word rhymes with Mordor)
Cirith Gorgor
That's it Turin, another pretty bauble for you. Happy Elf Smilie

At whose bidding did Tuor seek out Gondolin Question Smilie
Ulmo's bidding Smile Smilie
Correct Arath; you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of Sauron's tower in Mordor Question Smilie
Barad-dr?

I have had flu for the past week and a half, and I'm home! I hope that this flu hasn't taken away my Tolkienitis... It's just left me with a nasty cough. I hope everyone had a good new year! Pary Smilie
Loss has the correct answer, and a pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Glad you are feeling better Loss, flu ain't fun.

What did Gimli say he would need in order to make Helm's Deep into a place that armies would break upon like water Question Smilie
A year and a hundred of his kin
Correct Seren, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who or what were the Valaraukar Question Smilie
Hint: One of the Khazad-dmish Inn's snacks.
I am going for a guess here and say Balrogs, as I have a feeling that 'aukar' is some form of the word servant? As Balrogs were Maiar to serve the Valar but they turned as their fiery spirit ran away with them. Also, I do love those Spicy Balrog Wings you make oh-so well Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
You got it Loss, and the Pseudo-Silmaril too. Happy Elf Smilie

What trees were peculiar to Lothlrien Question Smilie
mallorn
Keerect Turin, you get another pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What treasure did Bilbo take home from Smaug's hoard Question Smilie
A coat of mithril and as much treasure as one sturdy pony could carry.
That is probably true, but besides the mithril coat and Sting, I'm looking for a bit more specificity as to the treasure. Happy Elf Smilie
Um, I don't know so here is a guess: how about a chest of silver and one of gold? (Note: Technically Sting did not come from Smaug's hoard)
True Turin, by then I had forgotten the question and thought it had morphed into 'With what treasures did Bilbo return home from his great adventure?' But of course, that wasn't the question, and the two chests, one of gold and one of silver is for what I was looking. Turin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

By what name was Aragorn known in his youth Question Smilie
I think I know, for that name means "hope" in our most beloved language. It was given to Aragorn by Lord Elrond of Rivendell around 2933 of the Third Age.

Is the answer Estel? And if it is, Grondmaster, please place a new question in my stead for I may not return here soon.
Ammornil has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who wore yellow boots Question Smilie
Just a reminder, Grondy is the only one who posts the questions in this thread, for your correct answers you will receive an ephemeral Pseudo-Silmaril (the pretty bauble) which due to manufacturing flaws, tend to sublimate directly after being awarded, leaving the awardee with merely a column of sparkly vapor, which soon dissipates into the atmosphere.

Feel free to also answer questions and provide questions of your own in the many game threads under The Ivy Bush Tavern and Current Games.

Hint: 'Hey! Come derry dol!'
Tom Bombadillioooo
Though I'm sure he'd take them off sometimes, and wear yellow slippers Wiggle Smilie
lol loss,what a funny Nazgul? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie loss if your funny like this and if you won't play tricks Orc Grinning Smilie i am sure hobbits will let you to live with them even for a day ..........(i hope if every nazgul are funny like this Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie )
Loss has the correct answer even though he has spelled it funnily. So he gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

On Frodo's return to the Shire, who had become known as the Chief Question Smilie
Hint: His mother was a harridan. So Angry Smilie
That would be the son of lobelia sackville-baggins, I think his name is Lotho?
Aye, that would be Lotho, aka: Pimple, so Turin gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who are also known as the "Helmingas" Question Smilie
The descendants of Helm Hammerhand.
I'll accept that and even the Rohirrim; though it was probably just limited to the Men of the Westfold. Turin gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of Melkor's great mace Question Smilie
I don't know Grondmaster... Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

I believe it was called Grond and that the massive battering ram of Mordor in the Third Age was built and named in honour of the mighty weapon.
Golly Gee Whiz Fish, Loss has sussed it out and gets the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What happened to Valinor and Eressa when Ilvatar changed the fashion of the World Question Smilie
I believe they were taken out of the circles of the world, only to be accessed by those who could find the "straight path".
Good enough to win the Pseudo-Silmaril Turin.

How did Boromir vainly try to summon help before he was killed Question Smilie
By blowing the white ox horn that he always carried.
Yes Turin, he blew on his silver tipped horn; so you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What colors were Treebeard's eyes Question Smilie
Brown.....and Green?
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>