Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
Correct Estel, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who, what, or where was "Loeg Ningloron" Question Smilie
Isn't Loeg used for Lake?
I'm not sure about that, but in this case it means "pool" or "pools".
Got it - Gladden Fields!!
Yup, Estel gets another Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you describe a Mallorn tree, then do so Question Smilie
Silver bark, golden leaves which fall after the new leaves open so that the roof and the floor of Lorien appears to be of gold. Grows to a height of fifteen feet(A wild guess :P I dunno its height maybe this was in Elenna!!)
Well Estel, you get the pretty bauble, but your wild guess was off at least by a factor of ten (just a guess) for how esle would they have been able to build their city in the branches of the mallorn trees, so high above the ground? Of course I could be wrong. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the portage way that bypassed Rauros Question Smilie
The Northern Stair
Keri beat me to it Sad Smilie
Yes Kerridamm has the correct answer and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the "Flame of Udûn" Question Smilie
Flame of Anor is the Secret Fire which Gandalf guards. Over the bridge he calls the last Balrog of Morgoth the Flame of Udun!!
Another pretty bauble to Estel for the correct answer. Happy Elf Smilie

Describe the 'Desolation of the Morannon' Question Smilie

NOTE: If anyone is unable to guess the answers to the trivia questions due to Estel always getting there first, let me know and I will reinstate my 24 hour rule.
Heeeeeey Grondy, I was wondering for long why was this forum discussion only between the two of us for a while now. (sourface) Thanks.

And the answer to your question is.... I will leave it for someone else to answer... Hmph.
The 24 Hour rule does nothing IMO. And the Questions are too hard.
The Desolation of Morannon is between the Ered Gorgoroth and the Mount Doom?

Hey Eruheran, the questions are framed so that the members may peruse the books to know more.
No Estel, like Ered Gorgoroth aka the Mountains of Fire were found only in Beleriand and thus tyour answer covers way too much territory, half of which lay submerged by the time The Hobbit and LotR took place. Also the answer lies farther north from what I assume you meant to say.

Yes everyone may look in the books for the answers, this isn't a closed-book pop-quiz. I also give easy questions, but the hard ones are meant to help familiarize the membership with some of the more obscure areas or events in the books rather than to test their memories. They also may be fodder for further discussion in other threads. Happy Elf Smilie
I believe the desolation of morannon lies between Dagorland and the Black Gate. In TTT "the passage of the marshes" it doesn't specifically say desolation of morannon... however it says
"...bare plain of Dagorland: the field of ancient battle before the gates of Mordor. Not that there was great hope is such course. On that stony plain there was no cover, and across it ran the highways of the Orcsand soldiers of the Enemy" This sounds like the desolation of morannon to me, what do you think?
Well is he right Grondy?
Yes he is correct, Estel. If you remember Frodo, Gollum, and Sam hid in some polluted pits as they approached the Black Gate. Their description (too long to type here) can be found about 6 pages prior to the end of 'The Passages of the Marshes' where their comparison with the Marshes is much worse, and those were bad enough. "...a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing—unless the Great Sea should enter in and wash it with oblivion."

Kerridamm gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What guards the Fords of Isen Question Smilie

Is that the mound where the knights of Westfold fell defending the Fords ?
Yes it is Estel, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the fifth son of Gerontius Took Question Smilie
The answer can be found in Appendix C to LotR.
Under Took Happy Elf Smilie
The famous Old Took, and relative to several prominent characters.
Nope, the answer was Isembold Took who had many decedents; though none were named in the book or Appendices. Gerontius Took, his father was the Old Took, who up until that Baggins upstart found that ring, got rid of it, and moved to live and leave with the Elves, was the oldest know hobbit in history. Teacher Smilie

Nobody gets the pretty bauble this time. Orc Sad Smilie

Nahar was whose horse Question Smilie
Orome's.
Correct Turin, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Where was the Green Dragon Inn located Question Smilie
It was located in Bywater, and was frequented by Hobbits both from there and Hobbiton.
Aureus has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

During the siege of Gondor, where did the few boys remaining in the city stay Question Smilie
Oh, and hello everyone.
Nice to see you again Grondy Smile Smilie
Would that be down in the lowest circle in the Old Guesthouse in the Rath Celerdain, the Lampwright's Street?
Yes it would Anarya, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Describe where Irensaga is located and what is its most distinguishing aspect Question Smilie
Ironsaga was a part of the White Mountains, on the Northern end of the range. It was called "Iron Saw", because of the jagged peaks.
Close enough for the Pseudo-Silmaril. It was part of the White mountains and was located to the north of Dunharrow.Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the mother of Boromir and Faramir Question Smilie
Oh oh! I know!! Ummm... Finduilas, daughter of Adrahil of Dol Amroth.

I knew it was in the appendix somewhere... I just had to find it. Smile Smilie
Correct again Anarya, you get the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who were the bounders and what was their primary duty Question Smilie
Hint: Had to do with the Shire.
The Sherrifs who were volunteers and who wandered the land and protected the hobbits from natural dangers and other disputes.There were 12 of them. The Bounders were also an unofficial border control of militia volunteers who protected the Shire from outside dangers such as gangs and ruffians, and many years ago: goblins.
Odette has the correct answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who led the dangerous crossing of the Helcaraxë after being deserted by Fëanor Question Smilie
That would be Fingolfin I believe.

I thought I should let someone else go before I went again... Big Smile Smilie
Correct Anarya, you get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the name of the Man of Bree, killed in a fight between Bree-landers and Bill Ferny and his friends Question Smilie
I am not at all sure but is it Harry Goatleaf?

i am too tired to open the bookSad Smilie
Nope, Harry joined with Bill Ferny as one of the bandits. Orc Sad Smilie
So the question remains:

What was the name of the Man of Bree, killed in a fight between Bree-landers and Bill Ferny and his friends Question Smilie
Rowlie Appledore.

Ehh.. Three Men were killed in the fight in Bree... I just guessed one.
My bad! Orc Sad Smilie I didn't specify which side he was on; therefore both Odette and Anarya get pretty baubles. Orc Smiling Smilie:

I wrote the above three times and lost it twice by the time I got around to asking the next question. I keep falling asleep with my fingers on the keys. Orc Grinning Smilie This will be my last post of the day. Orc Sad Smilie

Who hungered for and devoured light Question Smilie
Ungoliant is it?

High time you thought of better rewards Grondy
Yes it is Odette, to both your correct answer and to your query. So you get to sit in the light under the Two Trees of Valinor, once we obtain permission to borrow* the Doctor's TARDIS. Orc Smiling Smilie

Who was the "Black Captain", the "Captain of Dispair" Question Smilie

I understand the Doctor (of Doctor Who? fame) seldom, if ever, loans the TARDIS out; so it may be quite a while before you can receive your well deserved award. Orc Sad Smilie
The Witch King of Angmar.

So, lacking TARDIS, what other rewards could we think up?
I'm open for suggestions concerning rewards. Until we have something better on which to spend our mithril, there is no sense going there. So please put on your thinking hats and come up with some ideas.

Anarya's the 'Witch King of Angmar', is the correct answer, as would be the 'Lord of the Nazgûl'. She gets the Pseudo-Silmaril.

Who represented Círdan at the Council of Elrond Question Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>