Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Amazon's LotR prequel -request

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > Amazon's LotR prequel -request   

So, in case anyone missed it, Amazon's making an LotR prequal TV show! Excuse me while I get excited....

They're very vague about it, "pre-LoTR" is about all the concrete data there is; who knows? maybe the tolkien estate finally decided to sell rights to the Silmarillion! (unlikely). Or maybe the Unfinished Tales. Or maybe the LotR appendices are getting a "let's make a plot out of this..." treatment. Anyways, I know this forum is

**crickets chirping**

these days but if you're here, I have two requests...

One, I would really love to see a FAITHFUL adaptation of tolkien's works, as much as possible... To that end, they'll need some tolkien-scholar consultants who really know the texts! Corey Olsen (aka "the tolkien professor"Wink Smilie is one such person, (if you haven't heard his podcasts on the hobbit, lotr, the silmarillion, unfinished tales, and LotRO, you should check them out!). It would be awesome if his tweets at the Amazon folk got boosted up to the "hey Amazon you need to pay attention to this" level.

If you agree that they'll need a good consultant, and want to help - and you have a twitter account - would you retweet and/or comment on this? [Olsen Tweet]Olsen Tweet

SECOND, and really the main point of this thread, is I want to speculate about the upcoming show! Do y'all have thoughts? Is it going to be BB (before Bilbo) or AB?

One of my friends suggested (slightly tongue in cheek) that the best use of Amazon's newly acquired rights would be THE GREAT HOBBIT BAKEOFF.  I laughed, but also - I would totally watch that show. :-P

ooohhh ... what if it's Beren and Luthien.

What if it's Bilbo's Took ancestor who invented golf...

Do you think they could pull off a show with Bombadil in it? I mean, a faithful version of Bombadil who isn't a farce? This is something I have doubts about...

What if it's The Rise and Fall of the Numenorian Empire... ok I need sleep. Looking forward to your thoughts...

This is the first time I am hearing about this. I'll check it out!

I think maybe they might try the Sil or maybe the annexes of the LOTR as I suppose they would not want to be too identical to the movies.

However, I hope they have enough of a budget to return to the standard of the LOTR (lets all pretend the hobbit was never made into a movie).