Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Misc Guilds > JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD   << [1] [2] [3]
I do enjoy your posts everynow and again of different calendars Parmastahir, and it moved me so much so that I thought I'd buy a 2009 Tolkien Calendar. Ted Nasmith is the artist I think, and it depicts some events of The Silmarillion, they are quite impressive.

Keep up the links, I like to browse Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Hi Loss -

I am glad that you find my posts of interest. I'm completely OCD about the calendars. So you'll forgive me if I rave on about them. I got a copy from Ted himself at MythCon 39 this year. He signed it for me. Indeed, he was gracious enough to sign all my copies of the Tolkien calendars that he has illustrated over the years. I was THRILLED! He's a true Renaissance man and one of many talents. He's quiet and very modest and well deserves every bit of success that he has achieved.

Not that I begrudge HarperCollins (and Ted) a sale. But if you want a unique calendar, you might consider the 2009 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society issue that is now available. Having collected so many calendars, I had wanted to one day create one myself. That opportunity came in 2007 when I created the HI/NETS calendar. It's a fundraiser for HI/NETS. Ted allowed us to use many of his works as did Jef Murray. My daughter did the graphic design and printing and I worked with her to fold, staple, drill, and envelope them all. We did the same again this year. Jef again did the cover (and a few sketches) and Catherine Chmiel (kasiopea) and Colin Williams (an amateur from Australia) contributed all of the other artwork. You can see (and order, if you then wish to) it here:

www.herenistarion.org

Sorry for the shameless promotion. But it supports the good work and scholarship of HI/NETS. We only printed 100 and 65 have been sold. Ted got some and liked the graphic design and the work of kasia. What was that about the praise of the praiseworthy?

Thanks!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
That is brilliant, to have the artist sign your calendar and have him appreciate your (and your 'teams') work. You must be very proud. Unfortunately, I already have my 2009 Calendar as said, but I will be sure to take a nosey at some of the ones available for 2010.

I sincerely hope you do sell those remaining 35 calendars. It looks like a good hobby that is worth something, which is always the best kind of hobby Orc Smiling Smilie Keep it up!
With the addition of the 2009 Parmadili (Polish TS) and Elendilion (Polish Tolkienist Newsletter) calendars, the catalog of Tolkien calendars reach 300! You can view the many issues and variants at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Fewer than 20 of the 2009 HI/NETS calendars remain.

Parmastahir
NEW TOLKIEN CALENDAR WEBSITE!!!

I have not posted in a while. But I have been busy!

After talking about it for the longest time (almost a year and a half), I pushed my son to help me create my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

He designed it when he was in college (fall of 2007.) I had registered the domain name before then. I found someone to host for it me, and got my son to map it to that server. He set up some templates, and I have been spending most of my free time over the last month transferring all of the content from the Angelfire site. I think it is now all there . . . and I have added some content. I am now creating pages with the monthly illustrations. I am using the photos that I shot for the many Calendar of the Month features. I have programmed four so far:

1969 Ken Rudolph

1986 Hobbit Presse

2002 Pocket

2003 Ronnie Sellers (postcard)

I have 23 more that I will create soon. You can access the monthly illustrations by clicking on the year/publisher (which is a green, underlined link for those entries.) Once I get all of those programmed, I will start creating new Calendar of the Month features. Those now appear on the homepage of the website. In this manner, I will someday get most (if not all) of the calendar illustrations documented.

The only thing I need him to add is a visit counter. Then I’ll abandon the Angelfire site. Actually, I think I’ll program a simple link that will take visitors to the new site.

Comments welcome!

Parmastahir
New Calendar of the Month

I posted a new CotM on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is an interesting calendar in that it is not supposed to exist!

Parmastahir
Hello to all -

It had been a while (OK, a long while.) But I have reinstituted the Calendar of the Month feature on my new website:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

The CotM for May is the 2009 Middle-earth New Zealand calendar. My intent is to post these for a month, then create a permanent page upon which to display them. The monthly illustrations from almost all of the previous CotM features can now be found throughout the many entries. Hope you enjoy this one.

Parmastahir
June CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for June on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is probably appropriate given all of the talk about The Hobbit movie. Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir
July CotM

Created a new Calendar of the Month for July on the homepage of:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a VERY rare calendar, and one that is unique in my collection because of the format. Hope you enjoy it and comments welcome!

Parmastahir
Created a new Calendar of the Month for September on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you like this one!

Happy end of Summer to all.

Parmastahir

p.s. - If you missed the August CotM, it was the 1980 LotR Film calendar. Its illustrations can now be found via the link in its entry in the 1978-1980 section of my website.
October CotM

Although October is 2/3 done, you can still check out the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope this finds everyone doing well!

Parmastahir
Novembre CotM and Other Calendars

Hello to all -

Updated the Calendar of the Month for Novembre (not a typo!) at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it. Also, added a page (which is very much under construction still) for the 2010 issues that have started coming out.

Also, my daughter and I will soon print the 2010 HI/NETS calendar (now the third in this series.) Malcolm will have some for the exhibition at ADC in March, and René will have some on his Tolkienwinkel site, too. And Beyond Bree (as members already know) will issue their first calendar since 1994 for 2010 (many thanks to Lotho Sackville-Baggins) and in color, too!

Parmastahir
December CotM

Hello to all -

Updated the December Calendar of the Month on:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Beyond this feature, have started a 2010 page where you can find the new ones that are coming out. I LOVE this time of year! The Green Hill Country turns white, the 2010s start arriving, and the holidays are near at hand. Merry Christmas and a VERY Happy New Year to everyone!

Parm
January CotM and New Entries

Updated the Calendar of the Month and added some new 2010 issues at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
February CotM

Hello to All -

Posted a classic for the February Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

With the 2010 issues catalogued, there are now 320 calendars listed.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the winter (whether you're in the Northern or Southern hemisphere!)

Parmastahir
Posted another classic for the March Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Thanks for looking in!

Happy Spring to all!

Away from The (soon to be) Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Enjoyed looking at the March Calander! I haven't visited your site for awhile and it was nice to catch up and VERY exciting to read about THE calender Smile Smilie
Hello Sian -

Thanks for visiting. Am pleased that you liked the website. As to The Calendar, I would keep that one if I had to give up all of the others in my collection (which number well over 350!) I marvel that the Master handled it at a point in time (sadly, as his time was growing short.) It's like the light of the Silmaril in the phial of Galadriel to me. Hope this finds you well and enjoying some Spring weather!

Parm
I totally understand about your feelings for that special calender, I would feel the same and would be in awe to just look at it. I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, during my high school years and didn't know that some of Tolkien's original manuscripts are there in the library of Marquette University. I so wish I had been able to see them! But now I'm 1000 miles away and don't know when I'll get back there.

Deep peace of the quiet earth to you,

Sian
April CotM

One month ends. Another begins. Posted a new Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is a new (2010) issue. Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir
May CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Here's your chance to walk down memory lane with a calendar that is today somewhat rarely seen. Happy May to all!

Parmastahir
June CotM

Posted the Calendar of the Month for June at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Chose to post this issue to honor the June birthday of Fangorn, a wonderful gentleman and giant in the Tolkien world.

Parmastahir
August Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

Posted a WONDERFUL new Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This is a REALLY GOOD one!

Hope this finds all well.

Parmastahir
The Cor Blok (your Aug 2010 Calendar of the month) pictures are interesting - simple and to my eyes, capturing some of the essence of the LoTR events -

but am I seeing things, or did Blok really conceive of Gollum/Smeagol as a figure with a bill resembling that of a duck (or other waterfowl)? (!)
Hello Elanorraine -

Your eyes do not deceive you. Mr. Blok did indeed represent Gollum as you described. As to the simple nature of his illos, he described it as minimalistic in his four page intro "Pictures to Accompany a Great Story." This calendar must be really good as it has already sparked more comments in the various forums in which I post than the previous six months combined! Glad you liked it. Thanks for looking in.

Parmastahir

September CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

At the risk of spoiling the surprise, it is the 1986 Beyond Bree calendar.  It is a rarely seen issue and only the second of their series.  I featured this one in anticipation of the issue of their 2011 calendar which commemorates the 30th anniversary of Beyond Bree.  Congratulations to Nancy Martsch and all who support this active society.

Parmastahir

October CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it (and can appreciate "the sacrifice" that I made to be able to post it for you!)

Parmastahir

2011 HI/NETS Calendar

If you're looking for a Christmas gift for a Tolkien fan, please consider the 2011 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar available at:

http://herenistarionnets.blogspot.com/p/nets-calendar.html

The fourth in this series of calendars, it features another wonderful cover by Jef Murray, illustrations by Anke Eissmann and Sue Wookey, and a specially created centerfold by Catherine Sparsidis commemorating their 10th anniversary. Net proceeds benefit this official Tolkien Society smial. My daughter and I printed a rather limited edition: only 65 will be available!

Parmastahir

November CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the November Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It's a humorous (and rare) calendar from the fertile mind of Dan Smith.  Enjoy!

Parmastahir

December CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the December Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a newly discovered rarity (only six were created.)  Happy Holidays to everyone!

Parmastahir

January CotM

Hello to all!

Hope your holidays were wonderful. 

Posted the January Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a classic (and relative rarity) from Beyond Bree.  That group celebrates its 30th anniversary in March.

Parmastahir

I just noticed Tolkien.co.uk are offering 50% off The Official Tolkien Calendar 2011 so I ordered one (also included free delivery so a total of £5) 

Special Calendar of the Month for March

The Calendar of the Month for March is the 2011 Beyond Bree issue.  This one commemorates their 30th anniversary THIS MONTH!  Congratulations to a vibrant group.  Check it out at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Many different illustrators, lots of different takes on what the characters and scenes look like.  Kudos to Lotho Sackville-Baggins who edited this one.

Parm 

Hi, your extensive collection is fascinating!

Perhaps you haven't seen my thread 'Alan Lee & other illustrators'

Anyway, I would be interested to know who your favourite illustrator/s is/are?

Kate

Hi Communikate -

Am pleased that you like my website and collection.  Collecting the calendars is fun (and I'm a bit OCD about them.) But more important are the number of friends I have collected in my many years of looking for these calendars.

I answered your question about my favorite illustrator in your thread (as it seemed more appropriate to do so there rather than here.)

Parm

April Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

Just posted the Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is special to me as I had the great opportunity to work with three very talented illustrators to create it. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Spring to all!

Parm

p.s. -  With this feature, the illustrations of fifty of the 341 calendars that I have catalogued now appear on my website.  Slowly but surely, all of them will someday be available.

May Calendar of the Month

Hello to All -

Posted the May Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is the FIRST 2012 calendar to come out.  Admittedly, it's early in the year for a 2012 calendar to appear. 

WARNING: Spoiler Alert! 

This calendar is the Jef Murray ALEP 2 Fantasy Calendar.  Jef created it and proceeds benefit A Long Expected Party 2 that is being planned.  And Jef will sign the calendar that you purchase.  You can find ordering information on his website.  My copy arrived today.  It's very nice and comes in a printed mailing envelope (a nice touch.)

Happy May to everyone!

Parm

October CotM

Hello to all -

Well summer is over and I'm back in a calendar mood as the 2012 calendars are coming out. So I updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This month's featured calendar is one of a set of rare ones (not many created and extraordinarily hard to find.)  Hope everyone's fall is going well!

Parmastahir

November CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for November at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Parm

January CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for January at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Not to spoil the surpise, but thought it appropriate to feature a calendar with illustrations done by JRRT himself as his birthday occurs in January.

Am back after an unexpected hiatus.  Had BIG problems with my host/server and was worried for weeks that it had disappeared.  But a colleague recovered it, switched hosts, and backed it all up for me.  (Isn't it always whom you know rather than what?)  For which, I could not be more grateful.  It was a wonderful Christmas present!

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir

I enjoyed the site! Nice work with the Tolkien Calendars!

~Wen

Hi Wen -

Thanks for the compliment and for visiting.  Am glad that you enjoyed.  Also, I fixed three links in the Calendar of the Month on the homepage that were misprogrammed.

Parm

<< [1] [2] [3]