Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Grondmaster's memorial thread

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Grondmaster's memorial thread   << [1] [2] [3] [4] >>

Grondy's daugther Megan has asked us to post this:

- - - 

My fathers Memorial will be held on October 16th @ 1:00 pm at St Paul's Episcopal Church in Bremerton, Wa - with reception to follow.
The address is as follows -

700 Callahan Drive
Bremerton, Wa

He is being cremated and his ashes will be spread in the Columbarium with other previous members of the church.

Just thought I would share the information.. Thanks again, Megan

- - - 

Goodbye for now Grondy.

I don't know what else to say.Words have betrayed me.You were kind and funny and brave and I will remember you for that and maybe someday get the "random story game" thread publishedSmile Smilie

I just feel a tad lonely on PT now.May your soul rest in peace Grondy,in the land where there is no setting sun.

Goodbye, Old Friend.

Your wisdom and words here have been an inspiration to us all, and have brought joy to hundreds. You will be sorely missed, but you have left a legacy of previous posts behind for all of us to remember you by. It has been a honour and privilege knowing you. My prayers are with your family.

Rest in Peace, Grondy

RIP, Grondy.  A great man, and a great loss for us all, but our loss is his gain; for our friend, pain will never again be even a memory.  His friendly and broad minded wisdom and advice will be sorely missed, along with his insight, knowledge and humor.  But a list of positive attributes would tax band width and still not do Grondy justice.  The best thing about Grondmaster is that he's Grondy, and I don't believe partings are for all time, so I very much look forward to seeing him again in a better place some day.

'For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.'

Grondmaster, you meant everything to everyone on this site - your humour, your warm presence, your courage all embodied the very spirit of Planet Tolkien and provided us with a shining light to lead us on our way. That light is gone now, but we shall remember it; it shall inspire us; and we shall grow stronger for it. Your memory shall never leave the hearts and minds of all who knew you, and you made the days pass a little lighter for each and every one of us.

How many years has it been since a dwarf stumbled into the Khazad-dumish Inn wearing an Elvis costume? Smile Smilie

Not all that glitters is gold, my old friend. The western sunset, sparkling over the waves, awaits you.

Pippin: I didn’t think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path - one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass… And then you see it.

Pippin: What? Gandalf?… See what?

Gandalf: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Pippin: Well... that isn’t so bad.

Gandalf: No… No it isn’t. 

May I just add that I just listened to The Grey Havens, 18th on the Return of the King sountrack. It has helped to calm my heart.

Oh Grondy, it is so sad to know that you've gone.  You've been a great friend to myself and all of us who will never forget your name or your posts. Goodbye for a little while old friend, be at peace and in our memories as the loveable Dwarven Innkeeper.  Spoken in your own words old Dwarf, Share and Enjoy!  Goodbye.

It is impossible to say good bye to someone you have never met, so with Grondy's passing into a better place...

I would like to say...I hope to meet you Grondy

Omneya

I've just learned the news and words can't say how I feel.

You will be sorely missed, a great friend and a valuable contributor to PT over the many years that you have graced this site. I will sorely miss you my dear friend, and PT will not be the same without you but I'm certain wherever you are now, you have found true happiness and peace.

In Fellowship

Thorin

Edited to add this: I have prepared a tag to wear on my Facebook account in honour and memory of Grondy. if anyone would like to do the same: http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu257/Helm_Hammerhand/1-8.jpg

Just decided to check up on this thread, and I can't believe that Grondmaster has left us. I didn't exactly know him, but this is still pretty upsetting news. I don't exactly know anything to put here, so I'll just say Rest in Peace Grondy. 

Death is just another part of life, one that we all must take. - Yoda

Death is just another path, one that we all must take

RIP grondy, you shall be missed

I am saddened to hear of Grondy's leaving this part of life, but as Tolkien pointed out in  "Leaf by Niggle" - we each have a journey that is coming.  We know it is coming, but often do not wish to prepare for it or even think of it at all.  

May Grondy be at peace on his journey, and may we all be ready for ours when the time comes to follow him.

I wish I could be at your memorial today, Grondy. I really miss you. 

I wish I could be there, too, Amarie. Our Grondmaster and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers at 9:00pm UK time as all who loved and cherished him remember him.

Rest in peace, sweet Grondy. *hugs*

Whenever I log into PT these days I try and read Grondy's old posts.Makes me think he is actually joking or making some comment like we are having a conversation yet again.It is sad but then he lives on in our hearts.

A flashing wit,a naughty grin,

A dwarf in grey and white.(sigh)

My heart is in Bremerton, Washington at the moment. :'(

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
O Elbereth Starkindler,
silivren penna míriel
white-glittering, slanting down sparkling like a jewel,
o menel aglar elenath!
the glory of the starry host!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
Having gazed far away
o galadhremmin ennorath,
from the tree-woven lands of Middle-earth,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
to thee, Everwhite, I will sing,
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
on this side of the Sea, here on this side of the Ocean!

A Elbereth Gilthoniel
O Elbereth Star-kindler,
o menel palan-díriel,
from heaven gazing afar,
le nallon sí di'-nguruthos!
to thee I cry now beneath the shadow of death!
A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
O look towards me, Everwhite!

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
O! Elbereth Starkindler,
silivren penna míriel
white-glittering, slanting down sparkling like a jewel,
o menel aglar elenath,
the glory of the starry host
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Starkindler, O! Elbereth!
We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees
The starlight on the western seas.

Unknown ObjectUnknown Object

Still don't know what to say - it seems impossible that you've gone. Will miss you Grondmaster.

I just found out.

Grondy, you were one of the few people I have ever met online who I felt like I really knew. It is difficult and very saddening to imagine a Planet-Tolkien without your kind words and sense of humor. I didn't know you half as well, or half as long, as I would have liked.  Your family and friends have my sympathy. You will be remembered fondly and missed greatly.

The Planet-Tolkien community has lost a very good friend.

Namarie... We will meet again Smile Smilie

Without darkness there is no light and without death there is no life.

Thank you for all the laughs and thoughts you gave me Smile Smilie

That was very beautiful Arath and comforting. I am still struggling.

Leelee, your poem For Love of Grondy is so true. Thank you for sharing it.

The second post in this thread really get to me. I remember when I first saw it, I smiled and thought: Silly Grondy, how can one not notice that you were gone?

I thought the same thing about that particular post of Grondy's , and you are very welcome.

I am so sorry to read that our dearest Grondy has passed away .

May you rest in peace into the West our Grand Master

Yours forever in fellowship

Mellon

that was beautiful dear Mellon, and it is wonderful to 'hear' your voice again.

"There are wounds

that time cannot erase.

There are feelings

that words cannot express.

Yet words are all

I have to ease the pain.

You've passed

to heavens far away.

I'm looking forward

to see you there one day!". (AH, in memory of Grondmaster)

I still can't say anything meaningful around here. I am so sorry.

Untrue. That was lovely and very meaningful, and I am grateful you shared those thoughts.

Dear dear Ammornil,don't think so much.What human gauge has ever weighed the true depth of anyone's feelings?Don't writhe in your inadequacy of serving up your views on a silver platter but be glad that you are writhing,deep down maybe,for your friend.So many times we put words on paper and don't mean them.The last poem was beautiful by the waySmile Smilie

Grondmaster my friend

You were the one I first spoke to when I joined, our banter over the quizzes became a legend I think.I looked forward to conversing with you much more again but when I found you gone I despaired.

Leelee's poem gave me hope and I also found some words from another poem.

Why meet we on the bridge of time, 

to change one greeting and to part?

Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
from none but self expect applause;
He noblest lives and noblest dies
who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

I know now we will once again meet on the bridge of time and have quite a few greetings

Your friend,

Gwindor

Sad news. Looking in on Planet Tolkien once in a while, even if activity seemed to be down it was always good to see Grondmaster still about -- like the good natured innkeeper, always keeping the place cheery and welcome for any and all. As said, you will be missed. 

Farewell on your new journey Grondy.

"Death is just another path and one that we all must take ."

Been a long time, but Melly just told me on Messenger the terribly sad news about my old Friend John. I still have the bit of paper he sent across the atlantic to me to create his avatar. Nice to see it never changed. Still have the midi files of insane C64 classical music he encoded, and I'll never forget the hours I spent recoding the Hitchhikers guide radio series into small enough mp3 files to send via hotmail 10 years ago when it couldn't cope with big files.

John, you will be very sadly missed down here in devon mate, I'm even more sorry that I lost touch with you the last few years, I recall the last email I sent you about a year ago saying I was in a massive rush and would get back to you soon. Never did, truly sorry, hope you understood.

Worst bit of news I've had all year, you helped me out through a pretty bad time in my life my friend, and I shall never forget you for that. Will have a glass or two of something fairly strong for you tonight.

You were my badger (sorry if nobody else gets that reference, John would). See you on the other side my friend,

Dave

That was just lovely and personal Plastic Squirrel. I have read some of your posts and always thought you seemed so nice and I was sad that you went away. Thank you for coming back to post such wonderful words. I can just see Grondy smiling in my mind, and that is a blessed thing.

welcome back!

Im not sure you know me as im new here but ive seen quite a few of your posts

Thank-you, Dave. Some of us have been very blessed to have had experienced Grondy's wisdom when reaching crossroads in our lives. I am thankful, that I was one of the lucky ones.

Procrastination does come back to bite us, sometimes. I have a card and gift that I didn't get mailed out to Grondy and regret wasting those important few moments that it would have taken.

Please drop in again to say hello. We do miss you around the boards.

Leelee, you are right. I am sure Grondy is looking down and smiling because old friends, who may not  otherwise, have dropped in to say farewell to our dear,dear friend.

I feel out of place posting in this thread because I'm new and never got the opportunity to know Grondmaster. All the heartfelt sentiments brought a tear to my eye and gives me hope in this topsy turvy world. There are people out there who care and it's amazing how people can connect with one another without ever seeing one another. Simply by words on a screen.

I'm sorry for the loss of obviously a very dear member of the forums here. 

Your compassion is touching, Eowyn! And true it is how easy and deeply some people come into our own world by sharing our own passions and dreams. Grondmaster was like the one constant of PT we used to have for granted and his passing is still to close for me to be able to tell you more about him.

I hope with time many will find time and heart to share here their own memories of Grondy!

"In the hearts of thee, who has known me, I shall live once again and death will be for me no more..."

I've just returned from a long hiatus and discovered this post, I had wondered what had happened to our dear Grondy. While I didn't spend much time with him, I got to play several rounds of psychological wording and trivia games with him.

For what it's worth, I will miss him. May his light shine on in our hearts.

Grondy's words and sweetness, his wisdom and kindness, his truthfulness echo in my heart daily and during the night watches still. Be happy Grondy dearest.

Please forgive my tardiness in contributing to this thread. I had read it, of course, some time ago, but found myself at a loss for words (which is an exceedingly rare event).

I remember Grondy welcomed me to PT all those years ago, and he was frequently online to guide me as I found my virtual legs on the internet. He was kind enough to laugh at my jokes, as well.

As a person of Faith, I know that Grondy has passed on to the next world to dwell in perfect bliss into the ages of the ages. Perhaps he is even listening to a lecture from the Good Professor himself. Knowing he is in the arms of pure joy is a comfort to help carry me  through.

"My suggestion for the cabin in the woods would be The Last Homely House, - from The Hobbit and the quote is 'Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House.' " (by Grondmaster in "Quote for Rivendell"Wink Smilie

He was full of quotes from the books and many a times he brought wisdom were we lack it most.

That is an awesome quote and I thank you for that. And your words are so true Ammornil.

Having been off Planet Tolkien for a couple of years, I am very sorry to learn that Grondy has passed away! To me he was one of PT's pillars. His knowledge, wisdom, good humour and patience will be sadly missed! You have walked out of our time, dear Grondy! Rest in Peace!

I am shocked. Utterly, totally devastated by this news. I have been on PT since I was a middle school girl who escaped into Middle Earth after school every day to learn the lessons of bravery, honor and good old-fashioned wisdom. Planet Tolkien was my beloved circle of friends, and Grondy was the one solid member who everyone here counted on... to remember our birthdays, to offer a playful admonish, to simply be there, a presence of Tolkien-esque wisdom that nobody ever embodied better. I have only ever known Grondy online, but I am sure that he was the kindliest jolliest grandpa in real life. 

It has been a while since I logged on to PT, and going through some old threads, I saw on Grondy's posts the indication that he had "sailed into the West." It alone filled me with sorrow, as I could not imagine a Grondy-less PT. Seeing a "Grondy Memorial Thread" and reading through every agonizing post, fearing that one that would announce the inevitable, was heartbreaking. 

Rest in peace, Grondy. I realize it is already almost two years since your passing, and many more years since our wonderful conversations on this site. Whatever you may have wished to find beyond the circles of the world, I hope that you have found it. Peace, rest, and comfort. You are sorely missed, even after two years. 

Always in my thoughts you will be, and I hope you know that though you have sailed into the West, the mortal lands still bear signs and traces of you in the beautiful memories and impacts you left behind. You were loved here by all, and that love doesn't die. 

I have never know Grondy. But reading his posts makes me missing him. Everything he has post is so full of wisdom. I think he was serious but he definitely had humor. He really is someone we all will never forget. Dear, dear Grondy, rest in peace, my friend.

Cloveress, I have read some posts of you. Lovely, beautiful. Really!
Leelee will be very, very glad to see you back online here. She has made a thread called I REMEMBER. She has mentions you, that she really would love to know if you are alright. Here is a link to that thread: I REMEMBER

Thankyou dearest Ilse.

Cloveress I knew you would be so very upset, but I did not know how to reach you. Your post broke my heart, I still cry for Grondy at times, just cannot help it. He is the one and only reason I stayed on this site at the beginning, to be 'close' to him and drink like a very thirsty woman his words and kindness and at times strong instruction. It was so precious to me.

So are you and i miss you sorely. I pray the blessings of Erus upon you and hope you have the time and inclination some time in the misty future to come back to us, for a while at any rate. hugs

Clover! It is good to see you again. I don't come here nearly as often as I should, but Leelee gave me nudge and said you were here.

I miss Grondy so much. But I feel his good heart and soul is still here with us. Even two years and many new members later he still welcomes us. 

Oh leelee, my thoughts are with you, now and forever. I love you so much. I miss you and I miss Hasia dearly. Amarie, you are so true about that. Really. Two years later and still..... Dear Grondy, I miss you. Even if I haven't even know you. I have read your words and that's enought. Enough to miss you, enough to always remember you. Cloveress, Even if I don't really know you yet. I have read some of your posts. Really lovely. I'm very glad you're back. I. mean this from the deepest of my heart. Love.
P.s. sorry for the weird and bad enters and spaces. Im on my phone because my computer doesn't work. So....
Btw. Leelee I have read your poem For love of Grondy again. It's so wonderful, true, deep, thouching and so very very sad. I really can hear you saying your poem. Really. Dearest Grondy, rest in peace. You will always be remembered. Forever. You will always stay with us, in our hearts.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] >>