Message Board | Rules

Thread: Trivia: Barad-dur

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Trivia: Barad-dur   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>
No, your still not there; think about their trees.

Sorry T’rin turambar, my Kurki's blade always got notched when I tried to split Pseudo-Silmarils; I've given up trying.
Faramir? because the white tree has no leaves?
Nope, think family trees: like their ancesters, uncles, aunts, cousins, and siblings. Elf Winking Smilie
Well this is a stab in the dark really...

But I believe all but Goldilocks can be traced back to the first leaders of their race.

Faramir Isildur and Dior are all direct descendants of Marach, First leader of the Edain.
Galadriel goes back through to Finwe.

Goldilocks can't be traced more than anything, it doesn't neccessarily mean that she's not of the first hobbits, she undoubtedly would be in a theological respect - but from what is available, this might be one possible solution.

~Celebedhel~
Goldilocks Gamgee, Galadriel, Dior, Isildur, Faramir...

Dior is the only one who has no siblings.
Amari’ got it and the pretty-bauble. Happy Elf Smilie Pretty tricky huh? Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

How did the doctor treat Niggle's sore hands Question Smilie
THey put creamy stuffy thingy on them!!!! NUMBER TWENTY!!!!! (Or is it nineteen?)
Quote:
creamy stuffy thingy
You mean like a salve that healed them right up? Loni, I think you now have nineteen, but I really have lost track, anyway, it's a bunch. Wiggle Smilie

Who gave Aragorn Elessar, the Elfstone Question Smilie
Galadriel, his future grandmother-in-law. NUMBER EIGHTY-FOUR!!!! YEAY!!!! I
Galadriel?

Oh, man I just saw the previous person's answer...and it was the same as mine. I didn't even see his post! Haha!
Yes Virumor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril; however, the 84 may be either the number of days until the snow melts, twice times forty-two, or his IQ. Elf Winking Smilie It certainly isn't the number of his pretty baubles, unless he has been pirating them and I know he is much smarter than that. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

What instrument was played by Bombur Question Smilie
Drums?

Well in the book it was singular, so probably only PJ will give him a whole trap set, but Stonehelm gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Non-trivia question for all you English majors out there in cyberland: Am I wrong in capitalizing the S in my Pseudo-Silmaril? I figured since the original gems were capitalized, I could honor them by also capitalizing mine. I see that Tolkien does it with "Three-Farthing-Stone", but not "Ring-bearer", so maybe only for truly proper nouns, or maybe there was another editor/type-setter problem. It has been 45 years since I took my last English course and I've forgotten more than I ever knew. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

From whom did Beren take the knife Angrist Question Smilie
Curufin
Vir, you're quick!!
Yes, Virumor gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who asked Gandalf to lay aside his staff Question Smilie
H’ma, the doorwarden of Meduseld.
Looks like I better change my sleeping times again! People are running away with my Silmarils! *sob* Wink Smilie
Correct Celebedhel, the pretty bauble goes to you. Happy Elf Smilie

What chapter starts with the words, "The talk did not die down in nine or even ninety-nine days.' Question Smilie
If I'm not mistaken, that is the first line of the second chapter. "Shadow of the Past" I think...
Correct Floyd_n_milan, you also get a Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Can you name the famous spear used by Gil-Galad in the Battle of Dagorlad Question Smilie
Aiglos *grinz* Smile Smilie
Wrong spelling !! Deal Smilie Teacher Smilie
No way Floyd - I am an elf, and after all, that *is* the elvish spelling. Sure I could use the common tongue and write Aeglos... but I find it so abrasive to my palate. Tongue Smilie
Oh well, I'm a Dunedain!! *shrugs*
Both Aiglos and Aeglos are used, both are Elvish, although Aiglos is only mentioned once, hence Aeglos is most common.

I'll accept Celebedhel's answer and give him the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

What did Frodo fancy he saw in the darkness of Moria Question Smilie
Gollum's 2 shiny eyes.
Virumor has it and the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

What was another name by which the Rohirrim referred to Gondor Question Smilie
I know this but I can't answer it yet - rules Sad Smilie
I'm going to answer Mundburg since I can't find any other reference to Gondor having another name by the Rohirrim. I know I know, it's Minas Arnor but if there is another answer I will definately add it to my obscure words list.
No, Mundburg was another name they used for Minas Tirith. I found Stoningland a few lines below Mundburg. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie It is obscure and it isn't in the Index, nor in the Encyclopedia if Arda.
Actually I was searching the appendixes of my books. Encyclopedia is for amateurs. HMPH! *giggle* I can't believe I missed that though... can I get a point for Stonelending?
*giggles* along with the joke. Police Smilie Alcoholic Smilie Very Mad Smilie
Actually Mundburg is correct as well : ’omer and Th’oden used the word as a pars pro toto... with 'city' they meant the entire country.
Quote:
I can't believe I missed that though... can I get a point for Stonelending?
Sure why not, I'm easy. Besides Virumor says your "Mundburg" qualifies and I forgot to add a new puzzle yesterday, so Celebedhel gets the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who taught his grandmother to suck eggs Question Smilie
Calimero.
No, I think that would be close to cannibalism.
HUZZAH! Thanks Grond! OH and Vir!
Who taught his grandmother to suck eggs? It was that preciousssss Gollum/Smeagol
Celebedhel has the answer and the pretty bauble. Happy Elf Smilie

Who found Merry lying by the roadside in Bree Question Smilie
'Twas Nob, 'twas Nob!!!!!!! OH yeah!!!! TWENTY!!!! (yes, I just figured out that last time it was nineteen, not twenty. But now it is) TWENTY!!!!! THIS CAUSES FOR CELEBRATION!!!!!
Birthday Smile Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie Pary Smilie Wiggle Smilie (You know you're mad when you don't need to go and search the smiley list for smileys - you know them!!!! AAAAARGH!!!)
Loni has the answer and her twentieth Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Who was the Orc chieftain at the Battle of Azanulbizar Question Smilie
Azog.
Virumor has another pretty bauble for his collection from his right answer. Happy Elf Smilie

What was the probable origin of Saruman's nickname 'Sharkey' Question Smilie
'Sharku' was an Orcish word meaning 'old man.'

darn i could have had this one! Buddy beat me to the punch, i remeber reading that thumbnail in the book.
Hey Samewisegamgee, long time no see. You get the Pseudo-Silmaril. Happy Elf Smilie

Which was the tallest of the White Towers Question Smilie
Elostirion ?
Elostirion is the tallest of the three towers of Tower Hills, but is that the location you are looking for? If not, I believe that the tallest of them all is technically the Tower of Avallone, and it is white, but you did not say if your query was strictly involving Middle Earth...also, this question seems oddly familiar...anyhow, Celebedhel gets the bauble, I know, I know...
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95] [96] [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104] [105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] >>